The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 2:02 pm 
The Master

If the PS5 is backwards compatible out of the box with PS4 games I see no reason not to upgrade, especially if you get a slight visual boost.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I am ready to be disappointed in regards to the backward compatibility. The idea of selling my PS4 Pro to offset the cost of a new console but still getting to play my backlog + new games sounds great, but would Sony really want to make its last console obsolete?

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 2:57 pm 
The Master

ST you fool, planned obsolescence is a key driver of the gaming companies’ success!

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:17 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
I am ready to be disappointed in regards to the backward compatibility. The idea of selling my PS4 Pro to offset the cost of a new console but still getting to play my backlog + new games sounds great, but would Sony really want to make its last console obsolete?

Because it would encourage people to buy their new, more expensive console. You've already bought their old one.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:17 pm 
The Master

I’ll most likely wait a year or so to get the PS5; the possibility of buying a Switch is the more immediate question.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:19 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
I’ll most likely wait a year or so to get the PS5; the possibility of buying a Switch is the more immediate question.

Do it! Do it!

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yes, do it.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:31 pm 
The Master

Thinking I'll ask for the Switch Lite for Xmas; there are only a handful of games I want to play, and time is minimal. And the kicker is that I'll probably play a little more if I'm actually able to bring the thing to bed with me.

Any word on how well the Lite handles online play for Mario Kart and other competitive/co-op games?

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 3:33 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Thinking I'll ask for the Switch Lite for Xmas; there are only a handful of games I want to play, and time is minimal. And the kicker is that I'll probably play a little more if I'm actually able to bring the thing to bed with me.

Any word on how well the Lite handles online play for Mario Kart and other competitive/co-op games?

Read that local co-op is no problem as long as the game doesn't require motion controls, and you can play online with a Switch membership. :hooray:

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 4:06 pm 
The Master

The major downside to the Switch lite is no docked, TV-Mode. But if that's not a problem for you I think it is the superior device in terms of comfort and build quality.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 4:10 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The major downside to the Switch lite is no docked, TV-Mode. But if that's not a problem for you I think it is the superior device in terms of comfort and build quality.

Yeah, I just can't see myself having many long Zelda session in front of my TV in the next couple years, and the JoyCon drift sounds annoying as hell. I'm in that small minority of people who will actually play it MORE due to the portable nature.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 4:43 pm 
The Master

I have luckily never encountered JoyCon drift on my launch Switch.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 5:47 pm 
Champion of RM

Simple Torture wrote:

Every game console ever released tried to make it's previous console entry obsolete.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:13 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Every game console ever released tried to make it's previous console entry obsolete.

Nintendo was great at this, then cashing in by reintroducing them to the new platform.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:15 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Nintendo was great at this, then cashing in by reintroducing them to the new platform.

:thumbsup: The HUGE difference between Nintendo and the other systems is that the former had a couple of flagship series that launched new, great looking titles with the new consoles. Very different approach than PS and Xbox, which generally roll out new consoles with slightly spiffed up versions of popular franchises that can still be played on last-gen systems.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:28 pm 
Champion of RM

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

:thumbsup: The HUGE difference between Nintendo and the other systems is that the former had a couple of flagship series that launched new, great looking titles with the new consoles. Very different approach than PS and Xbox, which generally roll out new consoles with slightly spiffed up versions of popular franchises that can still be played on last-gen systems.

Even Halo Infinite will be released on XBOX 1 & 2. That's Microsoft's killer app. It would be wise to make it an XBOX 2 exclusive. Sony has no 1st party games to match Halo. Supposedly, Horizon will be the PS5 launch title killer app.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:34 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think what I was trying to get at earlier was: as someone who bought a PS3 very late in its lifecycle (just 6 months before the PS4 came out), I never really hesitated, since I knew there were dozens of past titles that I could play and enjoy for years. I'm sure Sony continued to sell lots of those consoles along with PS4s for years. But when the PS5 comes out, if it truly has backwards compatibility, why would anyone buy a PS4 again? (Price is probably the only thing that comes to mind.)

I'm probably over-thinking this. Regardless, I won't upgrade until probably 2022/2023 when there's a new Elder Scrolls game available.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:44 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Even Halo Infinite will be released on XBOX 1 & 2. That's Microsoft's killer app. It would be wise to make it an XBOX 2 exclusive. Sony has no 1st party games to match Halo. Supposedly, Horizon will be the PS5 launch title killer app.

Sony has had 6 first party games (which includes the original Horizon) outsell Halo 5 this generation. I agree that Halo's killer app, but they need to make new franchises. Way too many Gears and Halo games.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:49 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Sony has had 6 first party games (which includes the original Horizon) outsell Halo 5 this generation. I agree that Halo's killer app, but they need to make new franchises. Way too many Gears and Halo games.

Yea, but hasn't the PS4 significantly outsold the X1. That's not the most apples to apples comparison. IMO, outside of Mario or Zelda, Halo would be the next greatest exclusive to launch with a new console to sell systems.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2019 6:55 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yea, but hasn't the PS4 significantly outsold the X1. That's not the most apples to apples comparison. IMO, outside of Mario or Zelda, Halo would be the next greatest exclusive to launch with a new console to sell systems.

It has, mostly due to the strength of its exclusives ;). I'm not sure if one exclusive launch game is enough for most consumers these days with the number of options available (i.e. mobile games, free to play, etc.). There are way more factors to consider in purchasing a system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games