The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next-Gen Consoles (Coming 2020-ish)
PostPosted: Fri March 19, 2021 9:35 pm 
AnalLog

I’ve considered switching to a monitor. I have a really nice TV, so I don’t notice a huge difference, but my friends play on a monitor due to the lack of input lag.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 4:18 pm 
Champion of RM

scrub12 wrote:
I’ve considered switching to a monitor. I have a really nice TV, so I don’t notice a huge difference, but my friends play on a monitor due to the lack of input lag.

A TV with input lag is unusable. Last year, I did my homework and bought a new TV for my game room - an LG. It was useless. Even with all the settings fiddled with, it was unplayable. A major disappointment. I moved it to my bedroom and used a different old TV as my gaming TV.
I looked into gaming monitors, but they were a touch smaller than I wanted. I think I would start my gaming TV search with Sony. I believe some of them are PlayStation certified or something.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 4:21 pm 
The Master

The trick is never playing competitively.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 7:00 pm 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
scrub12 wrote:

A TV with input lag is unusable. Last year, I did my homework and bought a new TV for my game room - an LG. It was useless. Even with all the settings fiddled with, it was unplayable. A major disappointment. I moved it to my bedroom and used a different old TV as my gaming TV.
I looked into gaming monitors, but they were a touch smaller than I wanted. I think I would start my gaming TV search with Sony. I believe some of them are PlayStation certified or something.

From the research I've done (which is a fair amount but I'm by no means an expert), Samsung and Sony TVs are your best bet when it comes to gaming. I have Samsung's flagship 4K TV from 2018. It's obviously nice but was expensive AF. And with that I'd ultimately say I overpaid because the picture's far from perfect, but I haven't had any notable issues with lag on action-heavy games. I'm debating selling it for an 8K, HDMI 2.1, 240hz, etc later this year. I may go with a Sony this time, but need to read up a bit more on the 2021 model offerings....

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 7:07 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Even with the combined stimulus and tax returns, I still have no desire to buy a new console. I'll wait it out a few years and see what's come out by then that I'm actually interested in.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 7:15 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Jammer XCI wrote:
Even with the combined stimulus and tax returns, I still have no desire to buy a new console. I'll wait it out a few years and see what's come out by then that I'm actually interested in.

I think this is where I'm on. A mid-generation upgrade is what I did for PS4, and it's worked out well.

PostPosted: Sat March 20, 2021 10:57 pm 
Champion of RM

Revelator wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
scrub12 wrote:

From the research I've done (which is a fair amount but I'm by no means an expert), Samsung and Sony TVs are your best bet when it comes to gaming. I have Samsung's flagship 4K TV from 2018. It's obviously nice but was expensive AF. And with that I'd ultimately say I overpaid because the picture's far from perfect, but I haven't had any notable issues with lag on action-heavy games. I'm debating selling it for an 8K, HDMI 2.1, 240hz, etc later this year. I may go with a Sony this time, but need to read up a bit more on the 2021 model offerings....

I have a good Sony in my living room. That works perfect.

PostPosted: Thu March 25, 2021 1:22 pm 
AnalLog

Having fun with the series S so far. A little concerned about how hot it's getting in my TV stand though. Might have to stash it behind the TV or something.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:29 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

FINALLY managed to snag an order for a PS5 disc edition. I honestly wasn't expecting to get one this year but a buddy of mine is on the ball with the stock watcher things and managed to hook me up.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:47 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
FINALLY managed to snag an order for a PS5 disc edition. I honestly wasn't expecting to get one this year but a buddy of mine is on the ball with the stock watcher things and managed to hook me up.

Nice!

In related news:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/13/ps5-april-update-brings-new-storage-options-and-social-features/

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:59 am 
AnalLog

mf wrote:

Congrats dude, I still feel it's totally worth it even though we've been in a pretty long lull for new (good) games. There's a few new ones of note coming out soon though (Returnal, RE8, Ratchet)...

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:47 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

Congrats dude, I still feel it's totally worth it even though we've been in a pretty long lull for new (good) games. There's a few new ones of note coming out soon though (Returnal, RE8, Ratchet)...

Yeah i'm still not excited about any of the new games that are out, i'll probably just start using it to play my backlog of PS4 games while I wait for patiently wait for something good. Was really hoping Cyberpunk would have been out by now. Looking forward to Farcry 6 and Horizon Forbidden West

Is there any reason to think that developers might be delaying release of certain AAA titles until more consoles get out in the wild to boost sales?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 1:29 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

Yeah i'm still not excited about any of the new games that are out, i'll probably just start using it to play my backlog of PS4 games while I wait for patiently wait for something good. Was really hoping Cyberpunk would have been out by now. Looking forward to Farcry 6 and Horizon Forbidden West

Is there any reason to think that developers might be delaying release of certain AAA titles until more consoles get out in the wild to boost sales?

I believe AAA release delays are due more to COVID than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:29 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

I guess that was meant to be more of a speculative question than anything. Like if a developer is dealing with some COVID delays, would they also feel less compelled to rush the game out the door if they knew that a few million more consoles/customers might be out there if they waited 6 or 12 months?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:52 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

I guess that was meant to be more of a speculative question than anything. Like if a developer is dealing with some COVID delays, would they also feel less compelled to rush the game out the door if they knew that a few million more consoles/customers might be out there if they waited 6 or 12 months?

I feel like it's a chicken or the egg scenario for the first 18 months or so of every new console generation. Developers are probably gun shy about releasing a game that is not ready (looking at you Cyberpunk), but also want to get that next gen buzz before the field gets too crowded. So many additional factors with these console launches complicate it even further (Gamepass, COVID, production delays with consoles, bots, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 3:31 pm 
The Master

PS game updates are the worst since they switched to a full game rewrite regardless of file size. Nothing like a 150mb hotfix taking 30 minutes to install to make my seriously consider XBox for my mid-gen upgrade

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 3:32 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

I feel like it's a chicken or the egg scenario for the first 18 months or so of every new console generation. Developers are probably gun shy about releasing a game that is not ready (looking at you Cyberpunk), but also want to get that next gen buzz before the field gets too crowded. So many additional factors with these console launches complicate it even further (Gamepass, COVID, production delays with consoles, bots, etc.).

Covid or no Covid, the first year of a new console is usually a bit skimpy on the games. Smaller user base = smaller sales.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 5:16 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:
Revelator wrote:
mf wrote:

Covid or no Covid, the first year of a new console is usually a bit skimpy on the games. Smaller user base = smaller sales.

I suppose that is all valid. I guess the difference for me this generation is that i didn't care about any of the launch titles like I did for PS3/PS4.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 1:01 am 
AnalLog

I've spent probably 85% of my game time playing strictly PS4 backlog. I'm hoping for this to slowly change as the year goes on with a few upcoming releases. All are right though, first year for the consoles is usually pretty empty in the AAA department; quite frankly you really don't see developers harnessing the new consoles true power until a few years into the cycle. Horizon does look killer though, hoping we get an update/new trailer soon.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 1:18 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

new console landed last night. got it set up and transferred some data over from my PS4. didn't get to do much gaming though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games