The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oculus Go/Quest/Quest 2
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Ended up playing some escape rooms with friends this weekend. A few of them were awesome...the ones that used the virtual environment to do things with puzzles that real escape rooms can’t do.

Which escape room game?

Just finished Star Wars Tales at Galaxys edge

Absolutely fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:thumbsup: I believe there is either a sequel or a dlc for Edge in the works, as well.

We escaped in rec room.

Any user can build a game in rec room, although the mechanics of programming it can be hard to learn. My buddy was in a public game of Elven Assassin and said something about wishing more games had that style of collaboration. Someone else in the match went on about how escape rooms are teamwork and his first gaming love or whatever, and says he builds them in rec room as a hobby. So we tried one out, and they were great.

Rec room is a bit of a graphical step down from other games because it is so comparatively big in scope, and the clientele trends younger, but if you have people to play with and can get good community recommendations (blindly game searching can be frustrating) it has some of the funnest fucking games.

I dont know that I’ve told this story here because it sounds fucking absurd, but we had our 2020 Christmas in Rec Room. Wasn’t nobody in the same state (or even close to it), so I built a sprawling cabin in the snow and everyone met up there....13 people taking turns on 7 helmets.

We had a good time. Grandpa taught the kids a card game. The adults played Pictionary and bowled while kids breathlessly hopped in and out to report unwrapped presents to each other. Then the women got a little drunk and fell out of the map and into the abyss.

You know. Christmas memories.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

How's this for VR?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:00 pm 
The Master

Heading home to visit the family and gonna try and bring the Oculus with me.

McP, any suggestions for games for young teens?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Outside of the Star Wars games? My kids and niece all latched on to laser tag in Rec Room when they first started playing, but that’s multiplayer so it depends on how everyone feels about that.

My boy was 14 when we got the headset, and his first *favorite* vr game was Pistol Whip. My daughter is younger, and hers was Job Simulator.

It’s a bit cutesy, but Acron is a great game for groups of kids. One player is in vr defending a pile of acorns, and everyone else joins from their phone to play as a squirrel trying to steal them. Makes sharing one headset a lot easier with kids, and both modes of play are fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:49 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Acron sounds fun as hell

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 1:35 am 
The Master

I just spent an hour playing creed.

Geezes, i had to tear my shirt off because i was drenched in sweat!

PostPosted: Tue June 15, 2021 3:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I believe it.

My brother had heart surgery earlier this year. I've been joining him in a couple of apps like that one, because it gives him an excuse to be more active. I had to buy extra face shields for the device, so my kids wouldn't be left playing in a pool of my sweat.

PostPosted: Tue August 03, 2021 2:43 pm 
The Master

Spent a couple of hours playing this game over the weekend:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift ... cale=en_US

Fantastic. Its a wild environment to be placed in. The enemies move when i move so its almost like a puzzle trying to figure out my movements to "Destroy " them. lol.

PostPosted: Thu August 05, 2021 6:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I would like a multiplayer vr game with hand tracking and voice command functionality, where you have to make finger guns and yell "POW POW" to shoot at people. It could be called I Got You. The sequel would be Did 2.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 12:59 am 
The Master

Theyre coming out with additional gaming for Tales from Galaxys Edge.

CANT WAIT

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 6:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Cool!

I just played Elven Assassin for the first time in months with the boys back in Nebraska. Hadn’t had the headset on much since the weather improved and I got vaxxed…for obvious reasons.

New maps, new orcs…we had a blast. I really appreciate the amount of post-release care some of these games get. Most do the best content in Pistol Whip has come out in just the last few months, and Real VR Fishing has some PNW maps coming soon that I’m excited to play with friends.

PostPosted: Tue September 07, 2021 11:37 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Cool!

I just played Elven Assassin for the first time in months with the boys back in Nebraska. Hadn’t had the headset on much since the weather improved and I got vaxxed…for obvious reasons.

New maps, new orcs…we had a blast. I really appreciate the amount of post-release care some of these games get. Most do the best content in Pistol Whip has come out in just the last few months, and Real VR Fishing has some PNW maps coming soon that I’m excited to play with friends.

with the Real VR Fishing...dont you have to "level up" to see new places? I think im outside shanghai or something but i haven't played the game that much

PostPosted: Wed September 08, 2021 2:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Cool!

with the Real VR Fishing...dont you have to "level up" to see new places? I think im outside shanghai or something but i haven't played the game that much

Unless they’ve fixed it, anytime someone invites you to a location you haven’t unlocked in multiplayer it gets added to your available maps list. Otherwise, you do unlock them over time.

All of the current maps are in South Korea, where the devs live. The PNW set will be new content, so I don’t know how it will work.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 2:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’m playing what I think is an escape room in rec room with my brother and son. We start in a strangely quiet downtown area and, in time, find a nondescript alley that leads us into a maze-like warehouse. Philip Glass is playing on the intercom. The lights, where they exist at all, flicker ominously.

We find flashlights, and wander deep into the maze. Never once do we encounter evidence that we are on the right path. After a time, I drop my flashlight. No one can find it. I am now dependent on the others for light.

We finally accept that we that we are lost. There is no way back. Are we supposed to be here? We must be. They made it. So they must have wanted us to be here.

Right?

In the distance, a low growl emits from an unclear direction. Now we’re cautious. Nervous. I think I see something in the distance, away from the group, and squint in that direction. Suddenly, the others shriek behind me. My son cries out “It’s got Ross!”

I turn. An 8 foot tall spider-like beast lifts my brother up and away into the dark like a xenomorph collecting a corpse. He never emits a sound. I run.

My son runs too, but a different direction. I am now alone in the dark.

I feel my way, bumping into walls and clinging to what little light exists for what feels like 20 minutes but is really 3 or 4. I find a door. As I’m about to go through, a light flickers down the corridor. It’s my son’s flashlight.

“Hey,” he says as he arrives.

“Is Ross dead?” I ask.

“I don’t know,” he says. “But I hope so.”

This was a small part of one of the funniest and funnest gaming experiences of my life.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 2:25 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
I’m playing what I think is an escape room in rec room with my brother and son. We start in a strangely quiet downtown area and, in time, find a nondescript alley that leads us into a maze-like warehouse. Philip Glass is playing on the intercom. The lights, where they exist at all, flicker ominously.

We find flashlights, and wander deep into the maze. Never once do we encounter evidence that we are on the right path. After a time, I drop my flashlight. No one can find it. I am now dependent on the others for light.

We finally accept that we that we are lost. There is no way back. Are we supposed to be here? We must be. They made it. So they must have wanted us to be here.

Right?

In the distance, a low growl emits from an unclear direction. Now we’re cautious. Nervous. I think I see something in the distance, away from the group, and squint in that direction. Suddenly, the others shriek behind me. My son cries out “It’s got Ross!”

I turn. An 8 foot tall spider-like beast lifts my brother up and away into the dark like a xenomorph collecting a corpse. He never emits a sound. I run.

My son runs too, but a different direction. I am now alone in the dark.

I feel my way, bumping into walls and clinging to what little light exists for what feels like 20 minutes but is really 3 or 4. I find a door. As I’m about to go through, a light flickers down the corridor. It’s my son’s flashlight.

“Hey,” he says as he arrives.

“Is Ross dead?” I ask.

“I don’t know,” he says. “But I hope so.”

This was a small part of one of the funniest and funnest gaming experiences of my life.

I want in! How do i get into an escape room adventure?

Gonna hopefully fire up the new Tales From the Galaxy adventure this weekend along with the Walking Dead game.

I still regularly hop on Vader Immortal to the Lightsaber Dojo. Still not much better than igniting a lightsaber and using the force to fend off droids and storm troopers.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 4:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Now that the weather is getting colder again, I’ve been on the lookout for a new co-op game to add to the library.

I’m not really a tabletop guy, and my one foray into D&D was….boring? Anyways, I decided in spite of this to give Demeo a try. After one test run with my son, I’ve now bought copies for my brother and for two friends as well, and hosted several runs. It’s such a great collaborative game. Not sure I’d ever play it alone, but holy shit.

It’s basically a dungeon crawler, but that doesn’t do it justice. The sound design is great, the animations are fun, the boards create their own narrative at random, and it really forces you to collaborate in a fun and authentically strategic way.

I was skeptical going in that there would be enough content to keep us coming back (there are only two adventures), but each map auto generates and some of the people reviewing it on Steam have upwards of 70 hours logged.

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 5:24 am 
The Master

Is it easy to Learn without being a d&d guy?

Recently tried the walking dead. It was awesome but got severe motion sickness. Ended up getting a refund. This happens a lot for me without the ability to remote jump place to place.

Also downloaded tales from galaxy’s edge part two but it was having difficulty installing. So, I uninstalled and now have to start from scratch and do it all over again! Oh well, great game

PostPosted: Tue November 09, 2021 6:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I played D&D only once, maybe 20 years ago. I only remember that it was disappointing and laborious.

This is much more straightforward and arcade-like.

I too suffer from motion sickness in a lot of walk-motion games.

PostPosted: Fri November 19, 2021 4:58 am 
Rank This Poster

Is anyone playing resident evil 4 or call of duty or Jurassic world on this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games