The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post subject: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 1:53 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Use this thread to get recommendations from other RMers about which console to buy.

I'm currently waffling between a PS4 and a PS4 pro. I do not have a 4K TV and probably won't be getting one soon, so should I just default to the regular PS4 model? The one thing that makes me hesitate is the performance issues of bigger games on the PS3---on my PS3 slim, I had such trouble getting games like Skyrim and Fallout to play without huge slowdowns and framerate issues. Does getting a Pro help clear up those issues on the newer generation systems?

Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
The Beef

I've got a PC, and I've always leaned towards getting a Nintendo to supplement it because the great games are largely exclusive.

But PS4 has slowly become the more tempting console - I really want to play Spider-man, Last of Us Part II, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

One thing to note is that the PS5 looks like it should pop up around 2020, and that it will almost certainly be backwards compatible, so a possible strategy is to get the cheaper PS4 now, and get a PS5 down the line.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:05 pm 
The Master

If you don't have a 4k TV I'm not sure the Pro is worth the extra cost. That being said, it is $50 off right now. The more recent "powerhouse" games like God of War reportedly run great on the base PS4. You may be able to find a bundle on the cheap.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:16 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Just accept that you are a middle-aged dad now and buy a Switch

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:17 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.

The Pro is discounted infrequently. This is the first sale since Black Friday I believe.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Just in general, I don't care all that much about the detail in graphics. It's more about the style of the graphics, the mood, and, of course, the gameplay. Most of my favorite game series aren't really pushing the envelope graphics-wise.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:24 pm 
The Master

run2death wrote:
Just in general, I don't care all that much about the detail in graphics. It's more about the style of the graphics, the mood, and, of course, the gameplay. Most of my favorite game series aren't really pushing the envelope graphics-wise.

Same. Though, when combined with a good style, mood, and gameplay they can really elevate a game to legendary status.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 3:20 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

The Pro is discounted infrequently. This is the first sale since Black Friday I believe.

Does the 1TB PS4 regularly sit at $300?

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Does the 1TB PS4 regularly sit at $300?

I think so?! Not exactly sure to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 4:45 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'd get the PS4 Pro, even without a 4k TV. I've heard that everything loads that much quicker, which is super important IMO.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 7:19 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Ello Sailor wrote:
I'd get the PS4 Pro, even without a 4k TV. I've heard that everything loads that much quicker, which is super important IMO.

This is true. I got a PS4 Pro but I don't see myself picking up a 4K TV anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 9:42 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.

The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:24 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!

PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:30 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!

Not to mention games like Rayman Legends, Resogun, Until Dawn, and many many more.

PostPosted: Sat June 16, 2018 3:41 am 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Not to mention games like Rayman Legends, Resogun, Until Dawn, and many many more.

and Rocket League!

PostPosted: Sat June 16, 2018 4:40 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

and Rocket League!

Oh yeah!

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 12:18 am 
The Master

Fuck. I think I’m gonna wind up buying an X this weekend. The GameStop trade-in deal is absurdly good.

PostPosted: Wed October 24, 2018 12:30 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Fuck. I think I’m gonna wind up buying an X this weekend. The GameStop trade-in deal is absurdly good.

Trading in the S? What's the deal?

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games