The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13930
Location: Cumberland, RI
Use this thread to get recommendations from other RMers about which console to buy.

I'm currently waffling between a PS4 and a PS4 pro. I do not have a 4K TV and probably won't be getting one soon, so should I just default to the regular PS4 model? The one thing that makes me hesitate is the performance issues of bigger games on the PS3---on my PS3 slim, I had such trouble getting games like Skyrim and Fallout to play without huge slowdowns and framerate issues. Does getting a Pro help clear up those issues on the newer generation systems?

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 10:16 pm
Posts: 4550
I've got a PC, and I've always leaned towards getting a Nintendo to supplement it because the great games are largely exclusive.

But PS4 has slowly become the more tempting console - I really want to play Spider-man, Last of Us Part II, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

One thing to note is that the PS5 looks like it should pop up around 2020, and that it will almost certainly be backwards compatible, so a possible strategy is to get the cheaper PS4 now, and get a PS5 down the line.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:05 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
If you don't have a 4k TV I'm not sure the Pro is worth the extra cost. That being said, it is $50 off right now. The more recent "powerhouse" games like God of War reportedly run great on the base PS4. You may be able to find a bundle on the cheap.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13930
Location: Cumberland, RI
I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 50980
Just accept that you are a middle-aged dad now and buy a Switch

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:17 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
Simple Torture wrote:
I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.


The Pro is discounted infrequently. This is the first sale since Black Friday I believe.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 3611
Just in general, I don't care all that much about the detail in graphics. It's more about the style of the graphics, the mood, and, of course, the gameplay. Most of my favorite game series aren't really pushing the envelope graphics-wise.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 2:24 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
run2death wrote:
Just in general, I don't care all that much about the detail in graphics. It's more about the style of the graphics, the mood, and, of course, the gameplay. Most of my favorite game series aren't really pushing the envelope graphics-wise.


Same. Though, when combined with a good style, mood, and gameplay they can really elevate a game to legendary status.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13930
Location: Cumberland, RI
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.


The Pro is discounted infrequently. This is the first sale since Black Friday I believe.


Does the 1TB PS4 regularly sit at $300?

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 3:38 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I think I mentioned in a different thread, and this might make a difference: this is going to be a "free" console I'm getting with rewards points earned at work. I was going to trade them in for a gift card I can use at Gamestop--I probably wouldn't get the card until after the current sales end--do they tend to do those every month or so? So that extra $50 for a Pro wouldn't be out of my pocket, but rather just fewer bucks to spend on games.


The Pro is discounted infrequently. This is the first sale since Black Friday I believe.


Does the 1TB PS4 regularly sit at $300?


I think so?! Not exactly sure to be honest.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 771
Location: It's Soma
I'd get the PS4 Pro, even without a 4k TV. I've heard that everything loads that much quicker, which is super important IMO.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 2205
Location: The 216
Ello Sailor wrote:
I'd get the PS4 Pro, even without a 4k TV. I've heard that everything loads that much quicker, which is super important IMO.


This is true. I got a PS4 Pro but I don't see myself picking up a 4K TV anytime soon.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13930
Location: Cumberland, RI
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:04 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.


The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 13930
Location: Cumberland, RI
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.


The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!


Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Fri June 15, 2018 10:30 pm 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.


The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!


Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!


Not to mention games like Rayman Legends, Resogun, Until Dawn, and many many more.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 16, 2018 3:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 22961
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.


The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!


Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!


Not to mention games like Rayman Legends, Resogun, Until Dawn, and many many more.

and Rocket League!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "What Console Should I Buy?" Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 16, 2018 4:40 am 
Online
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14770
Location: Mizzou
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I think I am going to go with the Pro because I can order it straight through the rewards program--I don't have to order a gift card and then go redeem it at a store. The fewer the people I have to talk to, the better!

I'll still have enough rewards points to get a gift card I can use on games. And I've already got like 100 PS+ games for PS4 since I've had that since 2013--plenty of good stuff there.


The Plus lineup will give you one hell of a stockpile of games. Bloodborne!!!


Yeah I know I have the last Metal Gear Solid game, Bloodborne, XCOM 2, the last Deus Ex game. I won't be wanting for content!


Not to mention games like Rayman Legends, Resogun, Until Dawn, and many many more.

and Rocket League!


Oh yeah!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed September 26, 2018 3:11 am