The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14258
Location: Mizzou
In addition to slowly making my way through God of War I played Rock Band 3 the other day.

Still holds up. Had a blast playing through a few songs. It's a shame Guitar Hero and Rock Band ran the genre into the ground with so many releases. It's a such a great concept.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
DK Country Tropical Freeze! The wife loves playing and watching. I like watching her play, too. The game is a blast and very challenging.

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14258
Location: Mizzou
tree_ wrote:
DK Country Tropical Freeze! The wife loves playing and watching. I like watching her play, too. The game is a blast and very challenging.


I might have to pick this up again after God of War. I remember getting stuck on one of the later bosses and never going back to it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 3205
Mario Kart 64 on my Pixel 2 sent to our projector via Chromecast.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1793
Pillars of eternity 2 comes out today. Can't wait.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 642
Location: It's Soma
Fired up Starcraft 2 for the first time in years. Blizzard are scummy with their new EA-inspired micro-transaction model, but they make very polished games. Bloody well love Starcraft.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 3205
The Pod Racer game on the N64 is still surprisingly fun.

What was the deal with the N64 and displaying text?

Why were there so many games with good graphics, but terrible text?

There has to be a technical reason for that. I'm guessing they properly rendered the graphics, but then just overlayed the text.

Burt?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 642
Location: It's Soma
I'm gonna be picking up that Pod Racer remaster for PC this week. That game is the shiiit.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14258
Location: Mizzou
Ello Sailor wrote:
I'm gonna be picking up that Pod Racer remaster for PC this week. That game is the shiiit.


It absolutely is. I probably spent 100+ hours with it that summer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 2001
Final Fantasy XV. I think my extended love affair with MGSV has finally come to an end.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1793
Pillars of eternity 2 is fucking huge. The Baldur's Gate influence is great, and constructing/upgrading your ship is something new and recruiting sailors is good addition. Your party needs to supplement each other well or else you're probably gonna get wrekt. Combat is super involved but a ton of fun.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 642
Location: It's Soma
I'm working my way through Pillars 1 at the moment. It's a lot of fun, and obviously very deep. I'm surprised that I'm enjoying the combat so much, as back when it was released I kept reading that games like Divinity: Original Sin overshadowed it quite significantly in the combat department. One thing I found a tad lacking was how many spells you have access to right off the bat, and how few of those spells are actually worth using. Maybe I'll find use for them as the game progresses, but so far it seems bloated in that regard. Mostly I'm in love with the art style and the detail of the backgrounds, so I'll definitely keep at it.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:47 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1793
Ello Sailor wrote:
I'm working my way through Pillars 1 at the moment. It's a lot of fun, and obviously very deep. I'm surprised that I'm enjoying the combat so much, as back when it was released I kept reading that games like Divinity: Original Sin overshadowed it quite significantly in the combat department. One thing I found a tad lacking was how many spells you have access to right off the bat, and how few of those spells are actually worth using. Maybe I'll find use for them as the game progresses, but so far it seems bloated in that regard. Mostly I'm in love with the art style and the detail of the backgrounds, so I'll definitely keep at it.



The spells were hit and miss for sure. Big change in pillers 2 - no longer need specific items to camp and spells reload after each fight. So you can go crazy in each battle. It's refreshing.

Multiclassing and sub classes is a thing in pillers 2. you can create some crazy combinations.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 pm 
Online
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 775
Finished a couple of runs through Bloodborne over the past month or two thanks to the PS+ freebie. Now i'm playing Mad Max (also thanks to PS+) and it's surprisingly good. I honestly thought it was just going to be mediocre movie tie-in shovelware but i'm having a lot of fun with it.

It's a pretty easy game (especially after Bloodborne :lol:). Car and melee combat are both exciting and satisfying, and the map and atmospheric effects are gorgeous...in a bleak wasteland sort of way. Customization is pretty thin but that's alright. I don't think this is a game i'd want to spend 100+ hours with anyways. Just let me blast and punch my way through and collect the important stuff along the way. As with most open world games the story is pretty shallow and the map is littered with waypoints that aren't all that interesting. Overall a nice surprise.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14258
Location: Mizzou
mf wrote:
Finished a couple of runs through Bloodborne over the past month or two thanks to the PS+ freebie. Now i'm playing Mad Max (also thanks to PS+) and it's surprisingly good. I honestly thought it was just going to be mediocre movie tie-in shovelware but i'm having a lot of fun with it.

It's a pretty easy game (especially after Bloodborne :lol:). Car and melee combat are both exciting and satisfying, and the map and atmospheric effects are gorgeous...in a bleak wasteland sort of way. Customization is pretty thin but that's alright. I don't think this is a game i'd want to spend 100+ hours with anyways. Just let me blast and punch my way through and collect the important stuff along the way. As with most open world games the story is pretty shallow and the map is littered with waypoints that aren't all that interesting. Overall a nice surprise.


I've heard similar things about Mad Max. Kind of got lost in the shuffle when it was released.

I think I'm going to go back and play Uncharted: Lost Legacy once I clean up all the trophies for God of War.

My dad got me hooked back on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour as well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
Mad Max irritated me. The sound has lots of problems, sometimes portions of it dropping out completely. It froze on me about 45 minutes in and I didn't care to continue.

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 pm 
Online
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 775
tree_ wrote:
Mad Max irritated me. The sound has lots of problems, sometimes portions of it dropping out completely. It froze on me about 45 minutes in and I didn't care to continue.

I've had that happen a couple times too but it corrected itself once I moved to a new area. I haven't actually found that many glitches to be honest. Maybe the worst of them have been patched out at this point 3 years after release?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14258
Location: Mizzou
I have to be honest, since I started God of War I haven't had really any desire to go back to Far Cry 5.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 6480
Location: the lake
mf wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Mad Max irritated me. The sound has lots of problems, sometimes portions of it dropping out completely. It froze on me about 45 minutes in and I didn't care to continue.

I've had that happen a couple times too but it corrected itself once I moved to a new area. I haven't actually found that many glitches to be honest. Maybe the worst of them have been patched out at this point 3 years after release?

I just played it recently for the first time and the lack of sound quality was there. I got to a part where it froze and said I needed to finish downloading and it was stuck at like 33%, which wasn't true cause I downloaded the whole game. I just rolled my eyes and called it quits. I liked the combat system but it was basically the same as the Arkham games and Mordor games but not as good, so it just made me want to play those games instead.

_________________
Knob hockey radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 21727
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I have to be honest, since I started God of War I haven't had really any desire to go back to Far Cry 5.

I don't have a new game, and even I am struggling to complete Far Cry 5.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed August 15, 2018 5:32 pm