The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2023 8:39 pm 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
Revelator wrote:
daft twat wrote:
I’m playing The Last of Us. It’s my first time. I know nothing aside from the acclaim. I thought the play control was horrid, and then I found out the controller I was using was broken. Now I’m waiting for the good one to charge so I can find this fucking car battery.

Would love to read your thoughts....and yes I hope you're playing the PS5 remake! Really wish I could revisit this again going in blind...

I found this to be an enjoyable experience. Incredible environments, cool protagonist (looks like Gerard Butler and sounds like Sam Eliot), and so many neat sequences where I felt like I was playing a cut scene.

This game really stands on the shoulders of giants: Resident Evil (mood, enemies, and stingy ammo), Splinter Cell (stealth attacks), Ocarina of Time (horseback riding), and 007: Everything or Nothing (melee fighting).

I do not get all the fuss about the “amazing story.” I don’t think there was an original story idea in the whole game.

I don’t have much experience with games in the past 15 years so I don’t know where this ranks for prolific gamers. I see it as an 8. I really dislike crafting. I am fine with limited ammo, but I hate how limited the parts for weapons upgrades and character attributes (holding a weapon steady) are. I’d have to play through 3 times to max out on upgrades, I think.

My biggest complaint is having finished the game I can’t just go and play any chapter I want.

Anyway, should I play the additional story included on the remastered version? What about part 2? We have it. Is it as awful as the internet says?

Part Two is incredible. Don't listen to the vocal minority online. The gameplay is also better.

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2023 10:54 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Revelator wrote:
daft twat wrote:
I’m playing The Last of Us. It’s my first time. I know nothing aside from the acclaim. I thought the play control was horrid, and then I found out the controller I was using was broken. Now I’m waiting for the good one to charge so I can find this fucking car battery.

Would love to read your thoughts....and yes I hope you're playing the PS5 remake! Really wish I could revisit this again going in blind...

I found this to be an enjoyable experience. Incredible environments, cool protagonist (looks like Gerard Butler and sounds like Sam Eliot), and so many neat sequences where I felt like I was playing a cut scene.

This game really stands on the shoulders of giants: Resident Evil (mood, enemies, and stingy ammo), Splinter Cell (stealth attacks), Ocarina of Time (horseback riding), and 007: Everything or Nothing (melee fighting).

I do not get all the fuss about the “amazing story.” I don’t think there was an original story idea in the whole game.

I don’t have much experience with games in the past 15 years so I don’t know where this ranks for prolific gamers. I see it as an 8. I really dislike crafting. I am fine with limited ammo, but I hate how limited the parts for weapons upgrades and character attributes (holding a weapon steady) are. I’d have to play through 3 times to max out on upgrades, I think.

My biggest complaint is having finished the game I can’t just go and play any chapter I want.

Anyway, should I play the additional story included on the remastered version? What about part 2? We have it. Is it as awful as the internet says?

Part Two is incredible. Don't listen to the vocal minority online. The gameplay is also better.

100% agree with MD on this; go in as blind as you can--Part 2 is absolutely worth playing. I just got done a third playthrough a few weeks ago before I started grinding on Ragnarok.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the first one. I'll agree that the story is certainly not groundbreaking; just keep in mind that it's a 2013 game. When this was originally released the sheer quality of the voice acting and emotion behind the story (combined with the tense and enjoyable gameplay) I think kind of took everyone by surprise. I can't think of many other narrative-driven games around that time of the same narrative/acting quality aside from maybe the first Red Dead Redemption. The Uncharted games were fantastic too, just more lighthearted narrative affair.

I think that's why people like me laud TLOU's simple story so much, cause it was so impactful on the first play through back in the day...damn nearly 10 years ago....

PostPosted: Wed January 04, 2023 3:37 pm 
The Master

I'm still waiting for a decent price cut to the PS5 remake of the Last of Us.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2023 12:28 am 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm still waiting for a decent price cut to the PS5 remake of the Last of Us.

I will get to part 2 some day. Today I did the "Left Behind" addition for Part 1. Not a fan. I was fine with the parts where Ellie was trying to find stitches and whatnot for Joel, but the portions with Riley were so tedious, and then at the end she and Ellie both pretty brutally killed infected, which I'd have no problem with if she wasn't always super appalled in the beginning with Joel whenever he killed anything. It just didn't fit. That moment in the regular game where the guy was drowning Joel and she shot him had gravity. I get that he wasn't infected, but the awe of that moment has its legs taken out by the addition of her slitting an infected's throat.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2023 12:28 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I finished Horizon Forbidden West a few days ago. It's a shame that this came out essentially head to head against Elden Ring. Beautiful game and a fun gameplay loop, sidequests were pretty engaging, voice acting was top notch... story was still kinda forgettable though :lol:

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2023 11:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Callisto Protocol

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 1:23 am 
AnalLog

psychobain wrote:
The Callisto Protocol

Have this sitting next to my PS5 but it's taken a rightful backseat to Ragnarok.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 2:36 am 
The Master

mf wrote:
I finished Horizon Forbidden West a few days ago. It's a shame that this came out essentially head to head against Elden Ring. Beautiful game and a fun gameplay loop, sidequests were pretty engaging, voice acting was top notch... story was still kinda forgettable though :lol:

I actually liked the story up until that last push. Had a very Mass Effect feel, while still feeling true to the Horizon world.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 12:48 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:

I actually liked the story up until that last push. Had a very Mass Effect feel, while still feeling true to the Horizon world.

I think it was more the old world stuff that was forgettable to me - i can't remember a single character from that timeline yet that back stuff was integral to the core story missions. The modern day tribal stuff though I can mostly still recall.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 12:48 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
mf wrote:

I think it was more the old world stuff that was forgettable to me - i can't remember a single character from that timeline yet that back stuff was integral to the core story missions. The modern day tribal stuff though I can mostly still recall.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 9:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Revelator wrote:
psychobain wrote:
The Callisto Protocol

Have this sitting next to my PS5 but it's taken a rightful backseat to Ragnarok.

Its no dead Space for sure

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2023 11:52 pm 
AnalLog

The Witcher 3 is…a lot.

PostPosted: Sat January 07, 2023 12:11 am 
The Master

scrub12 wrote:
The Witcher 3 is…a lot.

I'm only 3 hours in and there have been about 25 gameplay systems introduced already. Why do some developers insist on the smallest possible font for menus?

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2023 10:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I picked up Disco Elysium today on sale for $20. I'm only a couple of hours in but it feels like it's going to be a special game.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 12:07 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
scrub12 wrote:
The Witcher 3 is…a lot.

I'm only 3 hours in and there have been about 25 gameplay systems introduced already. Why do some developers insist on the smallest possible font for menus?

I remember having a similar experience and only played WIII for like an hour (and so much of that was cutscenes). Like 5 minutes after the tutorial section was over I was being encouraged to learn to play cards when I really just wanted to explore.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 12:56 am 
AnalLog

I completely skipped the card stuff. Got to the open world and gonna explore.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 1:21 am 
The Master

I'm ready for crafting to be optional in these types of games.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 12:19 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

scrub12 wrote:
I completely skipped the card stuff. Got to the open world and gonna explore.

Funny enough, Gwent is actually a really good game in it's own right. When i was deep in my Witcher playthrough I spent hours playing gwent. But yeah definitely spend some time in the main game for a while and come back to the card game later.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 2:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

JuanHamm wrote:
I picked up Disco Elysium today on sale for $20. I'm only a couple of hours in but it feels like it's going to be a special game.

Damn, this game is good. It's been on my mind a lot this morning. Looking forward to putting a few more hours in tonight.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2023 3:41 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

JuanHamm wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:

Damn, this game is good. It's been on my mind a lot this morning. Looking forward to putting a few more hours in tonight.

I'll never have the experience of playing this game for the first time ever again, and that's sad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 115  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games