The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Aspire to do this? Know anyone who does this?

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51383
Like prize money or just paid to play? My ex stepson wins a good amount from tournament play

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Like prize money or just paid to play? My ex stepson wins a good amount from tournament play

Anything. How much? What kind of tournament? All foreign to me.

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51383
He plays mostly in Super Smash Brothers melee tournaments. When he wins it's usually 100-200 bucks. He plays every weekend and he's a freshman in college so it's a nice bit of spending money. He placed in a bigger regional tourney in Atlanta once and his prize money was like 1500

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:19 pm
Posts: 9973
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
A college friend played in Tekken tournaments. It didn't seem all that fun. Way too serious. When the new one came out, he spent days writing and testing combos.

_________________
emanon wrote:
I think I either need to drink less to become more alert, or more so as not to care.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 832
Location: It's Soma
I had a buddy who made it into the US team for a tactical squad-based shooter. It was all he ever talked about. He made very little money, but got to travel around the world to compete. Not a wise time investment if you ask me.

Still, I'm sure it felt somewhat rewarding to excel at something to that degree, as niche as it was.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Splatoon?

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 832
Location: It's Soma
That would be the epitome of wise time investment.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
My brother won a few Tekken tournies. Won a few hundred bucks I think.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 832
Location: It's Soma
Respect. Any idea which character was his main?

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Jin or Bryan Fury I think, but he is good with lots of them.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 832
Location: It's Soma
Yoshimitsu and Heihachi were the homies.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Sun August 26, 2018 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:19 pm
Posts: 9973
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.

_________________
emanon wrote:
I think I either need to drink less to become more alert, or more so as not to care.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Mon August 27, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 51766
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.

i was just at the landing a few weeks ago

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Mon August 27, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:19 pm
Posts: 9973
Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.

i was just at the landing a few weeks ago

Thank God you're ok. I was worried sick.

_________________
emanon wrote:
I think I either need to drink less to become more alert, or more so as not to care.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Tue August 28, 2018 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 51766
CopperTom wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.

i was just at the landing a few weeks ago

Thank God you're ok. I was worried sick.

let’s bang

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.
makes one wonder... I do equate Madden with maddening... Same word... Thing about physical sports competition is you work out aggression and don't feel like murdering ppl... Video gamers don't exercise and are all pent up... Shame and scary... Hope it's not a sign for what's to come in the competitive gaming world

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14973
Location: Mizzou
tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.
makes one wonder... I do equate Madden with maddening... Same word... Thing about physical sports competition is you work out aggression and don't feel like murdering ppl... Video gamers don't exercise and are all pent up... Shame and scary... Hope it's not a sign for what's to come in the competitive gaming world


This is such a 1987 stereotype.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 7632
Location: Port Perry Lodge on voluptuous Lake Perry
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.
makes one wonder... I do equate Madden with maddening... Same word... Thing about physical sports competition is you work out aggression and don't feel like murdering ppl... Video gamers don't exercise and are all pent up... Shame and scary... Hope it's not a sign for what's to come in the competitive gaming world


This is such a 1987 stereotype.
I'm assuming majority of pplz who commit enough time to be good at Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY don't exercise enough and it causes all kinds of neuroses

_________________
tree_ presents M_D's Video Game Tournament: A Thief's End


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY?!
PostPosted: Thu September 06, 2018 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 14973
Location: Mizzou
tree_ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
4 dead, more injured from a sore loser at a Madden tourney. JFC.
makes one wonder... I do equate Madden with maddening... Same word... Thing about physical sports competition is you work out aggression and don't feel like murdering ppl... Video gamers don't exercise and are all pent up... Shame and scary... Hope it's not a sign for what's to come in the competitive gaming world


This is such a 1987 stereotype.
I'm assuming majority of pplz who commit enough time to be good at Playing vIdEo gAmEs for MONEY don't exercise enough and it causes all kinds of neuroses


You know what happens when you assume...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 16, 2018 8:15 am