The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 3295
Location: The lake
Has anything topped Perfect Dark?

_________________
instinctively bept radio coming soon


Last edited by tree_ on Sat April 28, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 19180
1. Battlefield 1
2. Goldeneye
3. Halo


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
Depends on if we are talking multiplayer or single player.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
MW2. COD is the pinnacle of this genre.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
MW2. COD is the pinnacle of this genre.


For fast paced (twitch) shooters, yes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 19180
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001) was surprisingly great.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 19180
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”

It's tricky naming the best games when the tech changes so much. Quake was amazing when it came out, but obviously not so much now. I try to think think of two things:

1. Did it blow my mind when it was a new title?
2. If I sat down and played it today, would I still appreciate it, or find it tedious?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 3295
Location: The lake
I think the new Doom should be in this conversation. I don't think it's the best, though.

_________________
instinctively bept radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”

It's tricky naming the best games when the tech changes so much. Quake was amazing when it came out, but obviously not so much now. I try to think think of two things:

1. Did it blow my mind when it was a new title?
2. If I sat down and played it today, would I still appreciate it, or find it tedious?

All the good COD games hit both of these points for me, and I think they actually grow more impressive as they age. I love GoldenEye and all but it has been surpassed by a considerable margin, IMO.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck. Like the new Doom.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck.


I prefer Halo, Overwatch, and the Battlefield games to CoD. Even an older game like Timesplitters 2 holds up surprisingly well.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck.


I prefer Halo, Overwatch, and the Battlefield games to CoD. Even an older game like Timesplitters 2 holds up surprisingly well.

Halo has always been meh for me. Don’t like the Battlefield games at all. No interest in Overwatch.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck.


I prefer Halo, Overwatch, and the Battlefield games to CoD. Even an older game like Timesplitters 2 holds up surprisingly well.

Halo has always been meh for me. Don’t like the Battlefield games at all. No interest in Overwatch.


You prefer CoD, but there's lots of different flavors of FPSs out there. Even the new Doom and Wolfenstein games are top notch mechanically.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu April 04, 2013 6:27 am
Posts: 3295
Location: The lake
I rented Wolfenstein and did not like it. Played it for like 5 hours and that was enough.

_________________
instinctively bept radio coming soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck.


I prefer Halo, Overwatch, and the Battlefield games to CoD. Even an older game like Timesplitters 2 holds up surprisingly well.

Halo has always been meh for me. Don’t like the Battlefield games at all. No interest in Overwatch.


You prefer CoD, but there's lots of different flavors of FPSs out there. Even the new Doom and Wolfenstein games are top notch mechanically.

Disagree completely. I hated what I played of Doom and Wolfenstein. Controls feel wonky AF.

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think you mean “good, polished shooters.”


Because you play so many? Plenty of other games are polished and have differing weights/feel to the mechanics.

I play a lot. And then quit a lot after 30 minutes because they suck.


I prefer Halo, Overwatch, and the Battlefield games to CoD. Even an older game like Timesplitters 2 holds up surprisingly well.

Halo has always been meh for me. Don’t like the Battlefield games at all. No interest in Overwatch.


You prefer CoD, but there's lots of different flavors of FPSs out there. Even the new Doom and Wolfenstein games are top notch mechanically.

Disagree completely. I hated what I played of Doom and Wolfenstein. Controls feel wonky AF.


OK, I guess you're right then. We shouldn't even discuss other games.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 34152
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I don’t know why you’re being so weird about this

_________________
Dev wrote:
it's really not surprising someone of your body type is a marxist.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: (VG) Best FPS
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 12969
Location: Mizzou
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I don’t know why you’re being so weird about this


You make a statement that is your personal opinion. I agree with it given the type of FPS CoD games are. You then make another statement saying CoD are the only good, polished shooters. I disagree with this point. You then shut down every other alternate as being even comparable.

Trying not to be weird, just saying there are different types of games in the genre that many prefer to CoD games.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 am