The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: God of War
PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 4:12 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Spoiler: show
The final act (Ragnarok) felt a little rushed to me. All that work to get Surtr and he just hangs out in the background and then pokes Freyr with a sword a couple times. I also feel like we never truly got to see Odin at his worst. We spent all this time hearing about him in the first game and the atrocities he's committed (which I suppose may be enough), but that level of evil never truly came across in-game. Kinda the same thing with Thor. Maybe that's the point? The storytelling emphasized the point that anyone, even the worst of us, can be better -- depicting too much evil onscreen may be at odds with that.

This game has also made a point to cast doubt on Odin's atrocities. It puts the myth in mythology.

Good point.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 4:50 am 
The Master

23 hours so far. Not sure how far I am into the story, but still taking my time.

What armor did everyone go with? Did you pick one early and just keep upgrading?

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 5:48 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
23 hours so far. Not sure how far I am into the story, but still taking my time.

What armor did everyone go with? Did you pick one early and just keep upgrading?

I stuck with the Surtr set through the end of the game once I got it.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 7:53 pm 
Champion of RM

Ensign9 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I stuck with the Surtr set through the end of the game once I got it.

I used the Lunda set for a while after I got it. I still use 1 piece. You should get it at around your hour mark, I think

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 9:16 pm 
The Master

I'm using Nidavellir for now, but willing to try others.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 12:48 am 
Rank This Poster

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm using Nidavellir for now, but willing to try others.

This one...til the end

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 1:47 am 
Champion of RM

I'm currently using Raven, Dragon, Lunda.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 5:38 am 
The Master

Just got the new "thing". Fun!

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 1:20 am 
Champion of RM

I beat the game today. Just under 50 hours. All ravens. All chests but 2. All artifacts but a few. 9 of 12 Bezerkers.
Just about every quest. I'll try to wrap up the loose ends soon.

A very special game. Nearly perfect in every way. It's incredible how the franchise evolved and matured from its Greek and Roman mythology entries. The new standard in storytelling. Definitely my game of the year (but I didn't play Elden Ring). In the past decade, the only game I would rank over it would be BotW. I would grade this an A+ without a doubt.

It's sad that the Norse mythology era is likely over. Onto Egyptian mythology (unless those frozen lightning bolts were actually Zeus's).

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 9:41 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I think I'm probably done. 100%'d all realms. Only things I haven't finished are waking up the trolls and completing the remaining gameplay medals. Probably won't get to those.

I am a little confused as to what's next. It seemed clear this wasn't going to be another trilogy and they'd end the Norse stuff with Ragnarok and set us up for a dive into the next pantheon of gods, whether Egyptian or Mayan, or something else. (I thought Kratos actually would die at the end, in line with the prophecy, wake up in Egypt in a post-credits cut scene with a fresh infusion of rage at being separated from his kid, and take out their pantheon one by one. Alas...) But there a bunch of loose Norse threads still hanging from these two games:
*Tyr
*The Rift
*Who blew the horn in GoW 2018?
*Loki's Giant Hunt

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 10:01 pm 
Champion of RM

What's the Tyr loose end?
He was dead the entire time.

There's clearly a
time travel element being set-up too. It unwittingly impacted the giant snake during the Ragnarok battle sequence. There was discussion about it during the game too. Maybe Kratos will use it to try to save Faye and in the process resurect many of his vanquished foes.

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 10:04 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

We really don't know Tyr other than the background we were given in 2018. He seemed uneasy when we broke him out of jail and needed to meditate on things. Is he going to be an ally to Kratos; a new enemy? He's gotta be a god of war for a reason...

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 10:06 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I wonder if we may get DLC to wrap up the Norse stuff versus a whole, new game.

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 10:07 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
There's clearly a
time travel element being set-up too. It unwittingly impacted the giant snake during the Ragnarok battle sequence. There was discussion about it during the game too. Maybe Kratos will use it to try to save Faye and in the process resurect many of his vanquished foes.

A sequel built around that in which we may replay levels from the old games (in a way) would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2022 11:02 pm 
Champion of RM

Ensign9 wrote:
We really don't know Tyr other than the background we were given in 2018. He seemed uneasy when we broke him out of jail and needed to meditate on things. Is he going to be an ally to Kratos; a new enemy? He's gotta be a god of war for a reason...

That wasn't Tyr. It was Odin the entire time.

PostPosted: Sat December 03, 2022 3:34 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I'm referring to the real Tyr we bust out of jail in Niflheim after the main story is completed. Hopefully I haven't spoiled that for you if you haven't already done so.

PostPosted: Sat December 03, 2022 6:17 pm 
Champion of RM

Ensign9 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:

I'm referring to the real Tyr we bust out of jail in Niflheim after the main story is completed. Hopefully I haven't spoiled that for you if you haven't already done so.

I encountered him last night after i made that post

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2022 1:19 am 
Champion of RM

I beat all the Bezerkers. I thought the base Bezerkers were more difficult than the base Valkeries of the last game. I thought the Valkyrie Queen was more difficult than the Bezerker King though.

How does the difficulty of these foes compare to bosses in Elden Ring? Valkeries and Bezerkers are as difficult of foes that I face across gaming.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2022 2:07 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
I beat all the Bezerkers. I thought the base Bezerkers were more difficult than the base Valkeries of the last game. I thought the Valkyrie Queen was more difficult than the Bezerker King though.

How does the difficulty of these foes compare to bosses in Elden Ring? Valkeries and Bezerkers are as difficult of foes that I face across gaming.

I’d say Elden Ring, on average, is tougher. But obviously depends on difficulty level you’re using in GoW.

PostPosted: Mon December 05, 2022 12:48 pm 
Champion of RM

Ensign9 wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I’d say Elden Ring, on average, is tougher. But obviously depends on difficulty level you’re using in GoW.

Yikes. If the average Elden Ring boss is tougher than Bezerkers and Valkerie's, I think I'm out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games