The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Souls-like Games - Dark Souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne/Elden Ri
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

CREEPY WINDMILL VILLAGE

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:51 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

scrub12 wrote:
I BEAT IT.

Level 141, which is lower than all my friends did. 10/10 game.

bravo!

I'm at about the same level as you right now, still working through the haligtree zone. I guess i still have a couple areas left before i complete the game.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:53 pm 
The Master

I have no idea how close to the end I am. Just made it to the Fire Giant. Currently Level 133.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

great work, congrats to you, scrub! I'm gonna get back into this now that I have a new and improved TV.. already beat a tree sentinel last night I was stuck on for a while before

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I have no idea how close to the end I am. Just made it to the Fire Giant. Currently Level 133.

Boss wise, you’re near the end, just depends on how much exploring you want to do. Once I hit Fire Giant, I just kind of buckled down to get it done. After him it’s mostly bosses.

I probably could have stood to level up more for the final boss but I didnt want to farm anymore. I didn’t have any issues with other bosses near the end.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:01 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

scrub12 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Boss wise, you’re near the end, just depends on how much exploring you want to do. Once I hit Fire Giant, I just kind of buckled down to get it done. After him it’s mostly bosses.

I probably could have stood to level up more for the final boss but I didnt want to farm anymore. I didn’t have any issues with other bosses near the end.

I'm taking the opposite route and trying to clear as many areas as i can before I finish the game. I wouldn't say that i've had to farm at all since mid game though. There's sections in the final few areas where all the basic enemies are dropping 2-3k runes each and they add up quick. Bosses are dropping 200-400k. Runes are plentiful at this point, esp if you have a golden scarab equipped.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:03 pm 
AnalLog

I will say Fire Giant is one of the tougher bosses. I summoned a co op random to help me.

There were some optional bosses I skipped, but I explored the entire world. It’s one of the best games ever made. I wonder if I’ll replay it a different way, but I need a break from it since its stressful.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I'm about 40 hours in and still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface in some areas. I thought the map was huge about 25 hours in based on how it looked and it just keeps getting bigger! I love the approach they took to it by not having the entire map displayed early on and just covered in fog. Really adds to the discovery aspect.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:37 pm 
AnalLog

Ensign9 wrote:
I'm about 40 hours in and still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface in some areas. I thought the map was huge about 25 hours in based on how it looked and it just keeps getting bigger! I love the approach they took to it by not having the entire map displayed early on and just covered in fog. Really adds to the discovery aspect.

Hopefully this changes the way some devs approach open world games. I loved exploring and finding things rather than having my hand held. I played Far Cry 6 for about 8 hours before this and the amount of crap on the map gives me anxiety.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:43 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Agree with this, but unfortunately I doubt it will change the popular trend. Many people complained about the lack of direction in Elden Ring and most studios don't want to take these kinds of risks.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Agree with this, but unfortunately I doubt it will change the popular trend. Many people complained about the lack of direction in Elden Ring and most studios don't want to take these kinds of risks.

There's a middle ground between Ubisoft and Fromsoft where a lot of the training wheels could be removed. I certainly wouldn't have minded a little handholding. I don't want a map covered in point of interest markers or anything because i love discovering things organically but maybe something like a simple quest log would have been nice. This is a massive game and the vague story is drip fed and i can't remember some random 2 line encounter i had in the early hours of the game. So i'm either relying on a notebook or an online game guide to be my quest log anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:48 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

This game is an A+ already but I do think there are a few wishlist items From could add to Elden Ring to improve the experience. I don't necessarily need quest markers all over the map but it would be nice to have an in-game journal noting tasks you've been given. I haven't been writing anything down and will likely just end up completing side quests by happenstance (and no doubt miss a bunch of stuff along the way).

Also remove all item quantity limits. Let me carry 5000 arrows.

I also need to say this again: CREEPY WINDMILL VILLAGE.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:51 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:

Yeah, keep in mind From is super good at this. You've gotta execute at a really high level to get away with the mystery and overall lack of direction/tutorials we're all accustomed to. This approach could be a disaster in another studio's hands.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:53 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
Yes, it's funny when you come across an enemy type that scares the shit out of you, then you find you can easily murder all of them pretty quickly, and it somehow makes them even scarier.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:01 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tree_ wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Yes, it's funny when you come across an enemy type that scares the shit out of you, then you find you can easily murder all of them pretty quickly, and it somehow makes them even scarier.

Spoiler: show
Yeah, it starts off with a bang as the shrieking fire dudes suicide bomb you while those maniacs all keep dancing and laughing. I figured things would go sideways if I touched them so I didn't kill any of them until after the boss (with the exception of the ones that proactively attacked me on my way up the hill).

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:49 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDGE!!!

accidentally killed Patches

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:44 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Ensign9 wrote:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDGE!!!

accidentally killed Patches

Pfft. Patches is a recurring character, and a
total piece of shit.

In my first Dark Souls playthrough I killed the fucking blacksmith. Well, I aggro'd him by accident and he wouldn't stop trying to murder me after that. It was a blind playthrough, so I wasn't able to upgrade anything for a looong time. Shit was brutal.

Best game ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:00 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

150 hours and lvl 165 and i have finally reached the final boss. Tried a couple times before work this morning but couldn't finish the job. Guess it'll have to wait for another session...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:43 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

mf wrote:
150 hours and lvl 165 and i have finally reached the final boss. Tried a couple times before work this morning but couldn't finish the job. Guess it'll have to wait for another session...

Became Elden Lord that night and jumped immediately into NG+. Pro tip for anyone that is in a similar position, don't jump immediately into a NG+ if you want to do a respec. I figured i'd get the chance before starting but apparently not. I need to get back to Rennala. I will say though that starting the game fresh at lvl 165 feels basically like god mode. I started by absolutely demolishing the Tree Sentinel and then just casually walked through Stormveil and shredded Godrick. I might just keep speedrunning until i hit resistance :lol: .

PostPosted: Tue June 07, 2022 2:00 pm 
The Master

Defeated three major bosses last night after being stuck on just one for hours. Thrilling!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games