The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
PostPosted: Fri January 14, 2022 6:20 pm 
AnalLog

I haven’t had a chance to dive into Far Cry 6 but I imagine for $20 I’ll get my money’s worth. I have friends who are loving it but they admittedly love the franchise.

I finished up the Halo Infinite campaign last night. Loved every second of it. Excited to see what they do with the DLC. FC probably won’t feel as good after running around with the grappleshot for 20+ hours.

PostPosted: Fri January 14, 2022 6:46 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm taking a break from Ubisoft games for awhile. Valhalla and Odyssey were just way too big/repetitive.

i really felt the same thing playing Valhalla but forged ahead with FC6 cause i was ok with a retread. i think i'm finally hitting burnout on Ubisoft games though too. Just too much of the same repetitive game loop over and over again.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 6:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Demon’s Souls. Interesting, fun, but also a bit frustrating.

Tried Returnal for the first time as well. Ok start, we’ll see.

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 8:58 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:

I can't remember, have you ever gotten into a Souls type game?

PostPosted: Sun January 16, 2022 11:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:

«Demon's Souls is an action role-playing game.» Is that what you meant? Or do you mean a smaller subgenre?

My most played game on Xbox One was Destiny, not sure that qualifies. «Destiny is a role-playing first person shooter video game», but I’ve also seen it described as an action rpg. Played a few hundred hours. You do have a character you roam around a world with, and have various challenges you have to get through.

I’ve played a decent amount of Red Dead Redemption 2. Really enjoyed Ghosts Of Tsushima on PS5 so far. Seen both are described as action adventures.

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 12:45 am 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:

«Demon's Souls is an action role-playing game.» Is that what you meant? Or do you mean a smaller subgenre?

My most played game on Xbox One was Destiny, not sure that qualifies. «Destiny is a role-playing first person shooter video game», but I’ve also seen it described as an action rpg. Played a few hundred hours. You do have a character you roam around a world with, and have various challenges you have to get through.

I’ve played a decent amount of Red Dead Redemption 2. Really enjoyed Ghosts Of Tsushima on PS5 so far. Seen both are described as action adventures.

"Soulsborne" is a subgenre.

A specific genre created by FromSoftware, originally in "Demon's Souls." The key foundation of a Soulsborne is that you accrue experience through killing enemies, but if you die at any point, you then drop all held/unspent experience, you must then return and retrieve that experience before dying another time or lose it permanently (barring items that grant a reprieve). The games tend to be of high difficulty, punctuated by often arduous boss fights. Interchangeable with the word "Soulslike."

Definition provided by Urban Dictionary

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 2:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Anders wrote:

"Soulsborne" is a subgenre.

A specific genre created by FromSoftware, originally in "Demon's Souls." The key foundation of a Soulsborne is that you accrue experience through killing enemies, but if you die at any point, you then drop all held/unspent experience, you must then return and retrieve that experience before dying another time or lose it permanently (barring items that grant a reprieve). The games tend to be of high difficulty, punctuated by often arduous boss fights. Interchangeable with the word "Soulslike."

Definition provided by Urban Dictionary

Never played one before I think.

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 2:34 am 
The Master

Your first game in the genre usually has the steepest learning curve. Once you get the hang of the combat and the gameplay loop, they really open up. The best have world class level design, combat, environmental storytelling, and incredible highs when finally defeating a difficult boss. My favorites are Bloodborne, Hollow Knight, and Sekiro.

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 6:40 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I have played Hollow Knight on the Switch, and own Bloodborne on the PS5.

I think I did ok though, having not read anything. I have now read that there is a place where I can strengthen my health bar considerably, that I passed (because you have to turn back in a hall). Without knowing that, and without doing upgrades, nor seeing a video walkthrough before now, I got to about 18:30-19 minutes along this video, before that guy killed me.

Last edited by Anders on Mon January 17, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 1:41 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Look at the brass balls on this guy, just waltzing into a Souls game without realizing it and randomly hack-n-slashing his way through :lol: . That's actually pretty good progress. There's a ton of lore and strategy you can get bogged down in, though it might be helpful to consider what class you started as and if you started on a more advanced one it could be worth restarting with a more forgiving one for beginners. My first attempt at Demon Souls i think i did Royalty class which has a ranged magic attack which was hugely helpful in minimizing those close contact battles until i got a better handle on the parrying and backstabbing.

Good luck, its a pretty sweet game.

PostPosted: Mon January 17, 2022 2:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:mrgreen:

Thank you. Started as a magician. He can shoot fireballs. A bit difficult to hit with them every time though, something weird with the angles.

PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 5:51 pm 
The Master

Even the remake of Demon's Souls has some of the janky gameplay/animations from the original PS3 version. Future FromSoftware games made strides in minimizing those issues.

I've started Deathloop, but haven't had a chance to play a long gaming session. Haven't really picked up on the rhythm of the game yet.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 4:59 pm 
AnalLog

So Guardians of the Galaxy is actually a lot of fun. Would never have guessed this after its reveal.

PostPosted: Tue January 25, 2022 1:23 am 
AnalLog

scrub12 wrote:
So Guardians of the Galaxy is actually a lot of fun. Would never have guessed this after its reveal.

I'm nearly convinced to buy this and give it a shot. Price is right

PostPosted: Tue January 25, 2022 6:29 am 
AnalLog

Revelator wrote:
scrub12 wrote:

I'm nearly convinced to buy this and give it a shot. Price is right

It starts off a little slow but its light hearted and I’m enjoying it. I got it half off.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 11:44 pm 
The Master

Anyone have experience with Death's Door on Switch? Debating what console to get it for.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 11:57 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Just poking around trying to find a game to play. Tried FF7 (the remaster, not the remake) for about half an hour yesterday, it was ok, but I wasn't hooked. I have a bunch of these remasters from PS+, so I might try Day of the Tentacle next.

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 4:14 pm 
AnalLog

Before I become enamored with Horizon in a few weeks, I'm diving into Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection (UC4 remastered). Only played through UC4 once about 6 years ago and nearly forgot how fun and well produced these games are. Remaster looks impressive/smooth on the PS5 considering the game was developed roughly 6-7 years ago now

PostPosted: Sat January 29, 2022 5:44 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
Before I become enamored with Horizon in a few weeks, I'm diving into Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection (UC4 remastered). Only played through UC4 once about 6 years ago and nearly forgot how fun and well produced these games are. Remaster looks impressive/smooth on the PS5 considering the game was developed roughly 6-7 years ago now

I also did the upgrade. I've only played Lost Legacy when it came out.

PostPosted: Sun January 30, 2022 2:34 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I can’t beat Bowser in Mario + Rabbids. I continue to try.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 115  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games