The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 4:29 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Andy Reid made Alex Smith a winning QB. Say what you will about his poor clock management, but its kinda hard to deny that.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 4:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Wait, what? I'm not arguing that Andy Reid doesn't have real problems with clock management. He absolutely does. Why would anyone ever argue otherwise?

I'm also not a big Alex Smith fan. I like him well enough and I've enjoyed the success he's found in KC. He's a solid quarterback but he leaves a lot to be desired. He's not a great quarterback. He's a great leader; a fantastic locker room guy. He's smart with the ball. He doesn't take risks. But he's certainly not the best QB in the AFCW. Not by a goddamn long shot.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 4:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Chiefs are a frustrating franchise. I'm not saying they're gonna win the Super Bowl any time soon. Hell, I don't expect them to make much of a game out of this Thursday night, frankly.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 5:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:
The only thing to take seriously about the Chiefs is the home filed advantage and noise from their crowd.

I expected better from you Coach. :shake:

That was meant to be more positive sounding in that those fans and stadium have provided the NFL's longest running hostile environment, longer than Seattle, etc. So if the Chiefs were to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I'd give them a fighting chance. I believe the NFL players annually rank that place as their least favorite to play in and that's credit to the entire org and fans.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 5:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Coach wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:
The only thing to take seriously about the Chiefs is the home filed advantage and noise from their crowd.

That was meant to be more positive sounding in that those fans and stadium have provided the NFL's longest running hostile environment, longer than Seattle, etc. So if the Chiefs were to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I'd give them a fighting chance. I believe the NFL players annually rank that place as their least favorite to play in and that's credit to the entire org and fans.

I've got my eye on you...

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 5:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:

I'll always root AFC over NFC and the Chiefs were instrumental in those early years of the AFL, chiefly between '60 - '69, so when I think about that franchise's success (and taking it seriously) I think of those years primarily.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 5:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Coach wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Coach wrote:

I'll always root AFC over NFC and the Chiefs were instrumental in those early years of the AFL, chiefly between '60 - '69, so when I think about that franchise's success (and taking it seriously) I think of those years primarily.

I think that's probably the way most people think about them, too. So that's totally fair.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 1:58 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

The NFL is probably secretly thrilled that Ezekiel Elliott is eligible to play in Week 1; those primetime ratings are going to be pretty high.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 3:10 am 
Site Admin

Simple Torture wrote:
The NFL is probably secretly thrilled that Ezekiel Elliott is eligible to play in Week 1; those primetime ratings are going to be pretty high.
I'm hoping Fox can still craft good ratings in pondering how the loss of Elliott in Week 2 will hurt the Cowboys.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 4:34 am 
slower than 82% of US

durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, what? I'm not arguing that Andy Reid doesn't have real problems with clock management. He absolutely does. Why would anyone ever argue otherwise?

I'm also not a big Alex Smith fan. I like him well enough and I've enjoyed the success he's found in KC. He's a solid quarterback but he leaves a lot to be desired. He's not a great quarterback. He's a great leader; a fantastic locker room guy. He's smart with the ball. He doesn't take risks. But he's certainly not the best QB in the AFCW. Not by a goddamn long shot.

you're not the person i was making a counter point to

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 12:52 pm 
AnalLog

Mecca wrote:
Andy Reid made Alex Smith a winning QB. Say what you will about his poor clock management, but its kinda hard to deny that.

say what you will about his clock management, but he definitely knows how to take an average (or even bad QB) and put them in a position to win. And his coached teams tend to, win. They just don't know how to win, when it matters. But as an Eagles fan? I wish he never left. And compared to Chip Kelly? Andy Reid is the greatest clock manager of all time.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 1:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Do you guys think Reid will go to Mahomes at any point this year or stick with Smith?

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 9:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mecca wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

you're not the person i was making a counter point to

ohthankgod

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 9:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Electromatic wrote:
Do you guys think Reid will go to Mahomes at any point this year or stick with Smith?

I think, barring injury or a real MASSIVE shitting the bed situation (like Smith throws 4 INTS in a half and a wayward pass that gets Hill sidelined for several weeks), Smith will start the entire season.

Mahomes may come in late in a game or two IF (and that's a big if) the Chiefs have the game locked up early. I don't expect that to be the case often.

Maybe Mahomes starts the final week if the Chiefs have a playoff spot locked up, much like Daniel did a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:02 pm 
AnalLog

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Mecca wrote:

say what you will about his clock management, but he definitely knows how to take an average (or even bad QB) and put them in a position to win. And his coached teams tend to, win. They just don't know how to win, when it matters. But as an Eagles fan? I wish he never left. And compared to Chip Kelly? Andy Reid is the greatest clock manager of all time.

Andy Reid is a good coach, but as you said, none of his teams ever know how to win when it matters...which was really my bigger point that I probably could have made in a better way...they're a good team but I just cannot take them as a serious championship contender with that coach/QB combo

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

MattA75 wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Andy Reid is a good coach, but as you said, none of his teams ever know how to win when it matters...which was really my bigger point that I probably could have made in a better way...they're a good team but I just cannot take them as a serious championship contender with that coach/QB combo

Which is totally understandable. I get that. Maybe better than most. My whole initial argument was that I don't think the Chiefs are a 6 win team this year. That seems incredibly low to me. Especially as the Raiders are being anointed the AFCW Champs. Especially since the Raiders haven't beaten this coach/QB combo in two years.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mecca wrote:

Alex Smith was 19-5-1 in his last two seasons with SF.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Alex Smith was 19-5-1 in his last two seasons with SF.

And that shoot out w/ Brees in the divisional playoff game (in 2011, I think?) :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Here's my shot at predictions:

https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/ ... uLdA05JCQA

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 11:16 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Which is totally understandable. I get that. Maybe better than most. My whole initial argument was that I don't think the Chiefs are a 6 win team this year. That seems incredibly low to me. Especially as the Raiders are being anointed the AFCW Champs. Especially since the Raiders haven't beaten this coach/QB combo in two years.

Was so frustrating as an Eagles fan in the beginning of that run. Such a GREAT Defense, but he could never get the offense to run a clock out for the life of him. Its really amazing how many GREAT Defensive units the Eagles have had over the years to never win a super bowl. So much for defense wins championships.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 109  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports