The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 109  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 NFL Season
PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 12:55 am 
10Club Complaint Department

96583UP wrote:
the raiders employed Art Shell for years, and Hue Jackson. so they are def not an organization that appears to be racist. just one that knows they want Chucky back so they can win, and get sponsorship dollars and put asses in the seats when they move to las vegas.

what is the fine for not following the rooney rule?

maybe they just pay it and acknowledge that they had a particular guy in mind they wanted to bring back. companies do that all the time.

rather than interviewing someone in bad faith just because of the color of their skin

This is pretty much my exact point. In certain situations the rule is meaningless.

Does this mean 96583UP is racist too, Joey?

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 12:57 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Just stop, man. You don't want to fight about this. I don't want to fight about this. It's the goddamn internet. We're not going to change each other's minds. So let's just drop it, yeah?

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 12:59 am 

I’m fine with disagreeing about the merits of the rule, but I’m not fine with you publicly calling me a racist.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
numbers wrote:
In the Raiders defense, they have one of the better track records when it comes to hiring minority coaches.

In the defense of reason, the Raiders knew exactly who they wanted and why they want him. Hell, there are probably 20 teams that would trade their coach for Gruden if given the chance. In situations like this, the Rooney rule is silly and meaningless. And making a minority coach interview for a job that he has zero chance at getting seems patronizing and demeaning in itself.

1. There is no defense for the Raiders.
2. The Rooney rule is never silly or meaningless.
3. Don't be stupid.

Those are bad points. And yes it is.

They aren't and no it isn't. But keep telling yourself that.

Please explain why in this specific Raiders/Gruden situation they should be required to interview anyone else. And why would anyone else (not just minority coaches) want to interview for a job that is already publicly known to be going to someone else? Wouldn’t it be especially condescending to interview a minority coach simply to meet the standards of the Rooney rule when the team has zero interest in hiring anyone else? I mean a white coach wouldn’t have to put up with that silly charade. Seems kinda racist to make the minority candidate do all the extra work in preparation for a completely meaningless interview.

No, but you’re right Joey, the Rooney rule is never silly or meaningless. Lolz

Racists think everything is funny. Weird.

this is a coward's move right here

you gotta get your shit together Mr. "I am not enough"

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PHATJ wrote:
I’m fine with disagreeing about the merits of the rule, but I’m not fine with you publicly calling me a racist.

+100

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:08 am 

96583UP wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

+100

I mean, that was pretty fucked up, right?

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:09 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PHATJ wrote:
Wouldn’t it be especially condescending to interview a minority coach simply to meet the standards of the Rooney rule when the team has zero interest in hiring anyone else? I mean a white coach wouldn’t have to put up with that silly charade.

Reads as especially privileged, insensitive and (yes) racist, to me. I'm sorry if that offends you. But it's pretty fucking blind and ignorant. Especially following it up with:

PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
numbers wrote:
I definitely think the Rooney rule is a good thing. Even if you know who you are going to hire, it gives guys that might get overlooked a chance to kill an interview. Maybe they don’t get the job they interviewed for, but they might get another interview off of that one that leads to a hire.

Stop making sense here, numbers.

This is the only logical reason why the Rooney rules makes any sense in a case like this.

And then saying "fuck you" to me.

Whatever dude. I just don't fucking care. You have you thoughts on this stuff. And I have mine. You don't think you're a racist but you certainly aren't stepping up to bat to prove otherwise. Maybe you need to think about some shit. Stop talking, listen and reevaluate. Or maybe I'm just an oversensitive SJW on the internet who has no idea what he's talking about. Maybe I have no understanding of nuance or subtlety. Maybe I'm just an asshole who jumps to conclusions. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. But we'll never know because the internet is the internet. You obviously want to hate me. You obviously don't care that I find offense in what you had to say. You and Burt and Jorge and Dev and trag and all the rest are probably right that I'm just a shitty, ignorant person who can't think in multiple dimensions or use reason and that I'm overly emotional. So fine.

You really want to fight about this? Or can we just agree to disagree, shake hands and move on? It's up to you. I really don't care either way. RM has made it clear that they have no interest in me, my thoughts, or the way I feel about anything. And fair enough. There's no reason why anyone here should give a shit about me or what I think. I shouldn't give a shit about any of you or what you think. You've got your opinions and thoughts. Whatever. Who cares? It's all so totally meaningless.

I'm the asshole. You're the clear hero. I should fuck off. Let's just let it go. Fuck.

Last edited by epilogue on Sat January 06, 2018 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:10 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

96583UP wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
numbers wrote:
In the Raiders defense, they have one of the better track records when it comes to hiring minority coaches.

In the defense of reason, the Raiders knew exactly who they wanted and why they want him. Hell, there are probably 20 teams that would trade their coach for Gruden if given the chance. In situations like this, the Rooney rule is silly and meaningless. And making a minority coach interview for a job that he has zero chance at getting seems patronizing and demeaning in itself.

1. There is no defense for the Raiders.
2. The Rooney rule is never silly or meaningless.
3. Don't be stupid.

Those are bad points. And yes it is.

They aren't and no it isn't. But keep telling yourself that.

Please explain why in this specific Raiders/Gruden situation they should be required to interview anyone else. And why would anyone else (not just minority coaches) want to interview for a job that is already publicly known to be going to someone else? Wouldn’t it be especially condescending to interview a minority coach simply to meet the standards of the Rooney rule when the team has zero interest in hiring anyone else? I mean a white coach wouldn’t have to put up with that silly charade. Seems kinda racist to make the minority candidate do all the extra work in preparation for a completely meaningless interview.

No, but you’re right Joey, the Rooney rule is never silly or meaningless. Lolz

Racists think everything is funny. Weird.

this is a coward's move right here

you gotta get your shit together Mr. "I am not enough"

Oh, okay. Cool story. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:18 am 

durdencommatyler wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Wouldn’t it be especially condescending to interview a minority coach simply to meet the standards of the Rooney rule when the team has zero interest in hiring anyone else? I mean a white coach wouldn’t have to put up with that silly charade.

Reads as especially privileged, insensitive and (yes) racist, to me. I'm sorry if that offends you. But it's pretty fucking blind and ignorant. Especially following it up with:

PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
numbers wrote:
I definitely think the Rooney rule is a good thing. Even if you know who you are going to hire, it gives guys that might get overlooked a chance to kill an interview. Maybe they don’t get the job they interviewed for, but they might get another interview off of that one that leads to a hire.

Stop making sense here, numbers.

This is the only logical reason why the Rooney rules makes any sense in a case like this.

And then saying "fuck you" to me.

Whatever dude. I just don't fucking care. You have you thoughts on this stuff. And I have mine. You don't think you're a racist but you certainly aren't stepping up to bat to prove otherwise. Maybe you need to think about some shit. Stop talking, listen and reevaluate. Or maybe I'm just an oversensitive SJW on the internet who has no idea what he's talking about. Maybe I have no understanding of nuance or subtlety. Maybe I'm just an asshole who jumps to conclusions. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. But we'll never know because the internet is the internet. You obviously want to hate me. You obviously don't care that I find offense in what you had to say. You and Burt and Jorge and Dev and trag and all the rest are probably right that I'm just a shitty, ignorant person who can't think in multiple dimensions or use reason and that I'm overly emotional. So fine.

You really want to fight about this? Or can we just agree to disagree, shake hands and move on? It's up to you. I really don't care either way. RM has made it clear that they have no interest in me, my thoughts, or the way I feel about anything. And fair enough. There's no reason why anyone here should give a shit about me or what I think. I shouldn't give a shit about any of you or what you think. You've got your opinions and thoughts. Whatever. Who cares? It's all so totally meaningless.

I'm the asshole. You're the clear hero. I should fuck off.
Let's just let it go. Fuck.

Honestly, dude, I have no idea where about 90% of this shit you just said comes from. I’ve never had a single problem with you that I can recall in 12+ years of posting. The stuff I bolded is especially far off base when it comes to me. Do you think I’m some other poster? You project a shit load of feelings on to me that you have absolutely no reason or basis to. And you are wrong.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

PHATJ wrote:

"Publicly"

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:27 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Look, PhatJ, you're probably not a racist. I don't know you. You probably just said something that rubbed me the wrong way and then added an "lol" to it which, in my experience, is always meant to goad.

This is probably all on me. I'm sure I'm projecting. So, again, I'll take the hit, admit I'm being an ass, apologize to the thread at large, and beg that we forget it and move on.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:36 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Everyone on RM thinks I'm some overly sensitive alcoholic, so let's just pretend I've been drinking and don't know what I'm saying. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:38 am 

I thought doug was the alcoholic. :?

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 1:40 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 2:30 am 
AnalLog

I gotta agree with PhatJ here, if youre interviewing a minority, just to please the Rooney Rule, but have no intention of hiring said minority, its counterproductive.

Hell, I remember reading a news article about it years ago, how the SAME minority coaches get interviewed even, and the feeling was, they were getting interviewed so a team could meet said requirement.

That does not make PhatJ racist at all, that makes the rule, stupid. Now let me repeat this so I don't get called a racist.
Getting more minorities into coaching, is not stupid. A rule forcing teams to interview people they have no intention on hiring, simply to make them look non racist and give the NFL good PR, is stupid.

Seriously, would you want to interview for a job, that you knew had zero interest in hiring you? They were simply doing it to meet a requirement.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 3:31 am 
The Master

i'm just going to put this here

Quote:
If the Oakland Raiders are determined to reunite with Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden as their next head coach, there are no league rules that will stand in their way.

The head of the diversity group that works with the NFL on its hiring practices confirmed to NFL Network's Steve Wyche that Oakland is in compliance with the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority for any head coaching vacancy.

The Raiders have interviewed two minority candidates, acknowledged Fritz Pollard Alliance chairman John Wooten, who added that he's satisfied with the manner in which the organization has handled the interviews according to the Rooney Rule.

One of those interviews was conducted early this week with tight ends coach Bobby Johnson, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source close to the situation. There was one more interview with an undisclosed candidate, Rapoport added.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 3:34 am 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Gruden gets 10 years $100 million from Raiders.

Alt Title: Rooney Rule blatantly skirted with absolutely no ramifications.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 3:36 am 
The Master

Shit balls. i can't even come into the NFL thread without drama. I just want to talk about how the Vikings are the clear favorites this year. Pittsburgh will take out the patriots, vikings will rematch saints and win because no bounty-gate, and the vikings will easily handle the steelers with strong defense and a B+ effort on Offense.

Done. Bunch of racist assholes here.

Kidding.

Skol

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 3:38 am 

:bammer:

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 3:38 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
:bammer:

you're still a dork for acting like that wasn't a HOT TAKE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 109  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports