The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1969 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: The Weight Loss Thread
PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 2:43 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Does this belong in Food & Dining? I think so. A big part of my weight-loss plan has included a complete turnaround in my diet in many ways (much, much smaller portions; more fruits and vegetables; leaner meats more often; no fast food and very little eating out; healthier snacks), and since we don't have an Fitness & Exercise forum, I think this will work.

Post your success and horror stories, before and after photos, tips and tricks, words of advice or pleas for assistance. We'll get through this together, everybody!

Post subject: Re: The Weight Loss Thread
PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 3:51 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Once I went from 90kg to 60kg, then I was too thin and needed to put some on. I'm currently around 75 and feelin' fine.

I bring this up at any opportunity, but seriously, if you're looking to lose weight.. JUICE. It makes you full as fuck and pumps you full of goodness. Your metabolism works overtime to process it all too so it speeds that up.

JUICE, guys. Please. Do it for me.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 3:54 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I'm talking fresh fruit and veg juice with your own juicer, btw. Check out a documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead to see just how amazingly good this stuff is for you.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 4:01 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

WtOB? wrote:
Once I went from 90kg to 60kg, then I was too thin and needed to put some on. I'm currently around 75 and feelin' fine.

I bring this up at any opportunity, but seriously, if you're looking to lose weight.. JUICE. It makes you full as fuck and pumps you full of goodness. Your metabolism works overtime to process it all too so it speeds that up.

JUICE, guys. Please. Do it for me.

I...I had to convert kg to lbs to have any idea of what you were talking about...but cool! There's a guy in my program who went the juice route, but for some reason I don't think I could. I hate pulpy liquids of any kind and don't think I could get past the texture. I know, I know, it sounds like an excuse; but the thought of pulp makes me gag.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 9:53 pm 
AnalLog

WtOB? wrote:
I'm talking fresh fruit and veg juice with your own juicer, btw. Check out a documentary called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead to see just how amazingly good this stuff is for you.

:nice: I just recommended it in the juicing thread. :) Great documentary.
We've cut out all processed foods over the past few months. Doc has lost a little weight, not a lot, but it all counts, right? I'm finally down 20 lbs although it's taken me a year. Green smoothies are going to be my goal for the rest of the year, at least one a day.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 10:00 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I plateaud when I hit my PhD exams because, well, we basically ordered pizza every night because I was so stressed. I am still down 18 lbs. since January 1st, though.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 10:19 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
I plateaud when I hit my PhD exams because, well, we basically ordered pizza every night because I was so stressed. I am still down 18 lbs. since January 1st, though.

:thumbsup: That's awesome! You are doing Weight Watchers, correct?

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2013 4:00 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Chloe wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

:nice: I just recommended it in the juicing thread. :) Great documentary.
We've cut out all processed foods over the past few months. Doc has lost a little weight, not a lot, but it all counts, right? I'm finally down 20 lbs although it's taken me a year. Green smoothies are going to be my goal for the rest of the year, at least one a day.

Oh, there we go :)
Nice work! Yeah they really do give you a huge energy boost and a healthy glow too. Here in Australia they sell Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead juices (under the name Reboot Your Life) at the supermarket including the mean green and one with.beetroot in it which I love. So when I'm out and can't get to a juice bar I can just stop in and pick up a Reboot from the supermarket.

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2013 4:10 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

I have lost about 50 pounds thanks to Crohns. It's not exactly the south beach diet but I'm at my high school weight again.

PostPosted: Sat March 30, 2013 9:43 pm 
Gone

I hear stress helps with weight loss...

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 1:38 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

From 2007 through 2012, I lost 85-90 lbs. through exercise, started off walking, then turned to running. Last fall I ruptured my plantar fascia tendon and had to turn more toward weights to keep myself from ballooning. The weights caused me to add nearly 15 lbs., but at least it's not a bad 15.

I started off walking home from work for 3 miles a day, then increased to 6, then joined a gym and ran/walked 5 miles, then started running almost exclusively for a time with other exercise mixed in. An hour a day at the gym. Then I started running outside, slowly climbing distance until I started running races and completed a 10 mile race followed by the trail half-marathon that has put me down since (13.1 miles). I am just starting to get back to it, but due to obsessively feeling the need to move forward with my exercise program, have just been adding the rehab short distances to an already extensive gym routine.

I took the last week off to help dogsit (resulting in 2 dogs in the house, hence the taking off) and I feel terrible. Can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. All this, mostly because I am really not good at things like diet.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 2:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
From 2007 through 2012, I lost 85-90 lbs. through exercise, started off walking, then turned to running. Last fall I ruptured my plantar fascia tendon and had to turn more toward weights to keep myself from ballooning. The weights caused me to add nearly 15 lbs., but at least it's not a bad 15.

I started off walking home from work for 3 miles a day, then increased to 6, then joined a gym and ran/walked 5 miles, then started running almost exclusively for a time with other exercise mixed in. An hour a day at the gym. Then I started running outside, slowly climbing distance until I started running races and completed a 10 mile race followed by the trail half-marathon that has put me down since (13.1 miles). I am just starting to get back to it, but due to obsessively feeling the need to move forward with my exercise program, have just been adding the rehab short distances to an already extensive gym routine.

I took the last week off to help dogsit (resulting in 2 dogs in the house, hence the taking off) and I feel terrible. Can't wait to get back to it tomorrow. All this, mostly because I am really not good at things like diet.

:thumbsup:
Trail half-marathon. :li:

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 4:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Painful. Actually, the race is called Paine-to-Pain in Westchester. The trails are rough, narrow, very hilly, and awesome. I pretty much have to retire from the world of trail running after that race's aftermath, but it's really fun.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 4:52 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
Painful. Actually, the race is called Paine-to-Pain in Westchester. The trails are rough, narrow, very hilly, and awesome. I pretty much have to retire from the world of trail running after that race's aftermath, but it's really fun.

Just looked at the website, looks like a cool race. In a lot of ways, rolling hills are actually tougher than steep climbs and descents.
Nice finish, bro. Trail running is the best.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 5:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It is really fun. There are a lot of really steep inclines and drops. The amusing piece of the race is you hit concrete for about a quarter mile about 3-4 miles in, feel momentary relief until you look up and notice it's a 60 degree incline up. I was almost in tears the last 2/10ths because you bust out of the trails straight for the high school, and the cheerleading squad lines the streets followed by a run around the track. Just one of those epic moments when you can somehow speed up despite the terrible pain and soreness. A truly class act of a race.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:15 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Down 21.4 lbs. since the first of the year.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 1:44 pm 
The Master

Keep up the good work folks. My wife went on weight watchers a few years ago and lost about 40 pounds. I didn't really need to lose anything but her cooking and grocery shopping has definitely helped me stay at my current weight and I feel better after meals.

Lots of fruits, veggies, and lean protein does a body good apparently.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 1:52 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Another really good week on the homefront here; down 28.6 lbs. since January 1st :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 3:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Simple Torture wrote:
Another really good week on the homefront here; down 28.6 lbs. since January 1st :thumbsup:

Nice work, ST! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2013 11:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Down 11.2kg (24.69 lb) since the beginning of May.

My pants and belts don't fit now and it's really annoying.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1969 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 99  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports