The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: Post your MLB fandom statistics
PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 3:46 pm 
The Master

I've still only been to County Stadium, Miller Park, Wrigley, and The Cell/Guaranteed Rate. Would've been going to Fenway this summer if we were going to my cousin's wedding in Boston, but we're skipping it.

PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 4:34 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
In 2007 I attended (I think) 32 Mariners games. That's how many stubs I still have, but I think there may have been a few more

I think keeping stubs the the 2007 Mariners might be the most obscure collectible I've heard of.

Speaking of which, new stat:

Number of souvenir balls obtained: 3 (Caught a foul popup once in my glove, got another foul ball that bounced down from a row or two behind me. I gave that second one to a little kid nearby). Never a home run ball yet. My dad caught a ball that Griffey tossed in the stands and we got his autograph after the game. I was about 9, perhaps the highlight of my baseball life.

Longest home run witnessed: Magglio Ordonez at Yankee Stadium and Albert Pujols in Cincy. I don't recall the official measurements but each one had to be 550'

PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 4:50 pm 
AnalLog

Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
In 2007 I attended (I think) 32 Mariners games. That's how many stubs I still have, but I think there may have been a few more

I think keeping stubs the the 2007 Mariners might be the most obscure collectible I've heard of.

Speaking of which, new stat:

Number of souvenir balls obtained: 3 (Caught a foul popup once in my glove, got another foul ball that bounced down from a row or two behind me. I gave that second one to a little kid nearby). Never a home run ball yet. My dad caught a ball that Griffey tossed in the stands and we got his autograph after the game. I was about 9, perhaps the highlight of my baseball life.

Longest home run witnessed: Magglio Ordonez at Yankee Stadium and Albert Pujols in Cincy. I don't recall the official measurements but each one had to be 550'

number of souvenir balls obtained: 1, caught on my dads Bday, I literally did not leave my seat, the ball would have landed right in my moms lap. Caught it clean bare handed. Nomo on the mound for the Dodgers, Bob Hamelin batting for the Brewers. I think ive only had one other ball within a section and 10 rows in my 100 plus games. Which is really bizarre, we used to always sit in the right field bleachers at County Stadium and went to tons of games when there was no one out there. Youd think Jenkins or Burnitz would have at some point hit one near us.

Speaking of Jenkins

longest home run witnessed In a game, fair, EASILY Jenkins. He NEARLY hit one out of the entire stadium complex, and by that, I mean, it landed at the base of the right field wall for the outside of the stadium BEHIND the bleachers. And it was a moon shot too, might be the highest ball ive ever seen hit as well, IN A GAME.

close 2nd, Mike Piazza hooked a foul ball into the upper deck of County Stadium that would have easily cleared the bleachers if he kept it fair.

honorable mention, home run derby at Miller Park. None of the home runs in the actual derby were as impressive as one Bonds hit in batting practice. It hit the TOP of the Miller Park scoreboard in dead center, on a line, it was still rising when it hit that scoreboard, AND, it got there in about 2 seconds. I know it was the height of the steroids, and, home run derby, they could be using corked bats and what not to put on a show, but man that home run... it defied physics.

PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 5:16 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think keeping stubs the the 2007 Mariners might be the most obscure collectible I've heard of

The company I worked for had season tickets. And when they weren't given to clients, they gave them to employees. My buddy and I decided that season to see how many free games we could get to, so I saved the stubs.

PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 6:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think keeping stubs the the 2007 Mariners might be the most obscure collectible I've heard of

The company I worked for had season tickets. And when they weren't given to clients, they gave them to employees. My buddy and I decided that season to see how many free games we could get to, so I saved the stubs.

kind of the same here. the first 2 years of the Rockies, I probably went to about 60 each year..and now for the humble brag..I've gone deep in both the old mile high stadium and coors field

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 2:49 am 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Did you keep track of your W/L record or your roof open/closed record?

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 3:12 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Did you keep track of your W/L record or your roof open/closed record?

Yeah I have my score book somewhere. I'll have to find it.

Post subject: Re: Post about your MLB fandom
PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 1:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

I've somehow still only been to the Skydome. My wife and I keep saying we're going to do a road trip every year and eventually see as many stadiums as possible, but we keep putting it off.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 4:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Camden Yards. We went to see Cal Ripken Jr. play his last year. I really want to go to a Cincinnati Reds home game at some point. We go to a few Minor League games sometimes, though. There's 3 teams within driving distance, maybe more.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 5:00 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Outside of Atlanta I've been to stadiums in Denver, Houston, St. Louis (old Busch), Chicago (Wrigley), Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Fenway. I've been at, but not inside, the ones in Seattle, San Francisco, Anaheim, Phoenix, Arlington, Cleveland, Philadelphia, and Toronto. And both the Twins & Marlins old stadiums.

Last edited by Biff Pocoroba on Mon April 10, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 7:00 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Stadiums visited: 7 (Candlestick, AT & T, Dodger, Safeco, Angels, Jack Murphy, Oakland)
Cities visited: 6
States visited: 2
Miles traveled: Too many
Favorite stadium: AT & T Park
Worst stadium: Oakland Coliseum
Most games you’ve attended in one season: About 30 (1989, including Game 3 of the World Series)
Best position player you’ve seen: Bo Jackson
Best pitcher you’ve seen: Nolan Ryan
Best fans: Seattle
Most annoying fans: The only bad experience with opposing fans I had was in San Diego
Your favorite team: San Francisco Giants
Favorite rivalry: LA Dodgers
Seen your team win a World Series?: Yes, 3
Visited the Hall of Fame?: No
Seen a Hall of Fame induction ceremony?: No

Last edited by RussellManiac12 on Mon April 10, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 8:02 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I had a great time at the park in San Diego; talked to a guy who'd been to every game since they were a minor league club and everyone was super friendly, even though I was wearing a Sox shirt. Someone in St. Louis offered to fight me.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 8:03 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
talked to a guy who'd been to every game since they were a minor league club

No fucking way.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Stadiums visited: 2 for actual games, 3 if you count PJ at Fenway.
Cities visited: 2 for actual games, 3 if you count PJ at Fenway.
States visited: 2 for actual games, 3 if you count PJ at Fenway.
Miles traveled: not doing the math
Favorite stadium: Safeco for actual games, Fenway if you count PJ at Fenway.
Worst stadium: Obviously Oakland Coliseum, but at least I could go in there without fearing for my well being, as would be the case for a Raiders game
Most games you’ve attended in one season: About 2
Best position player you’ve seen: David Ortiz
Best pitcher you’ve seen: Rick Porcello
Best fans: Red Sox
Most annoying fans: Red Sox
Your favorite team: Red Sox
Favorite rivalry: Fuck the Yankees
Seen your team win a World Series?: Yes

What would your at-bat walk up music be?: Some less-played PJ song.

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 10:39 pm 

Stadiums visited: 13
Cities visited: 13
States visited: 10
Miles traveled: a lot
Favorite stadium: Safeco and Candlestick
Worst stadium: Veteran's Stadium
Most games you’ve attended in one season: About 36ish
Best position player you’ve seen: Rickey Henderson,
Best pitcher you’ve seen: Nolan Ryan
Best fans: Mariners
Most annoying fans: Red Sox
Your favorite team: Orioles
Favorite rivalry: Fuck the Yankees
Seen your team win a World Series?: Yes (not in person though)
Visited the Hall of Fame?: Yes

What would your at-bat walk up music be?: What's Golden, Jurassic 5

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 11:14 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
I've somehow still only been to the Skydome. My wife and I keep saying we're going to do a road trip every year and eventually see as many stadiums as possible, but we keep putting it off.

the owner of the last company I worked for has been doing that for years. His favorite one, was Yankee Stadium. He was in NY for some other reason, just happened upon tickets day of, right behind the Yankees dugout no less, for David Wells perfet game. He had the ticket stub framed in his office so I had to ask about it, got the whole story. Definitely would be something cool to do.

For the most part, he never visited our store, so we never saw him / talked to him. One day he calls up, my boss answers the phone and he asks for me. I proceed to have a 10 minute conversation with me mostly saying "yes, no, totally, I agree" I get off the phone and my boss is sweating bullets "what was that all about???" "The Brewers and firing Ned Yost right before the playoffs"

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 12:36 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
talked to a guy who'd been to every game since they were a minor league club

No fucking way.

I should've been more specific: he said he had been to every game since like '67 or something (and he seemed like he was the right age), not since they formed in the 1930s. Everyone in the section knew him by name, so I believed it. I took a picture with him!

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 2:41 am 
mXn

I think I'd like to change my best pitcher answer to Nolan Ryan.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 3:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

Stadiums visited: 1
Cities visited: 1
States visited: 0
Miles traveled: Like... 500 each time.
Favorite stadium: Skydome
Worst stadium: Skydome
Most games you’ve attended in one season: Probably 10ish
Best position player you’ve seen: Hard to beat 2015 Josh Donaldson
Best pitcher you’ve seen: I can't remember who I saw when I was a kid, but Halladay or Randy Johnson. Halladay gets the edge because I was there when he threw a 10-inning complete game.
Best fans: Toronto, probably
Most annoying fans: In the years when the Jays weren't that big of a deal in Toronto, Yankees fans would fill half the stands down the third base side. It was horrible.
Your favorite team: Toronto Blue Jays
Favorite rivalry: Probably Baltimore at this point. But I hate everyone in the AL East.
Seen your team win a World Series?: Two

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 3:31 pm 

Bammer wrote:
I think I'd like to change my best pitcher answer to Nolan Ryan.

Good move

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports