The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Raiders Suck
PostPosted: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Naturally, this has to be the first thread that exists on this forum.

Post subject: Re: Raiders Suck
PostPosted: Tue December 18, 2012 8:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Green Habit wrote:

my bucs still seem to be pretty terrible as well, but i still love them damnit LOL, but the Falcons, Saints and Panthers can rot in hell

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2012 4:46 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Which is stronger: your love of the Broncos or hate of the Raiders?

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Which is stronger: your love of the Broncos or hate of the Raiders?
I think my current avatar answers that question.

Still, the only time that I don't root for the Raiders to lose is if a win by them would help the Broncos out. Otherwise, I hope they go 0-16 every year and blow their #1 overall pick on Jamarcus Russell type players. I trust that you feel the same way about the Jets.
Spoiler: show
At least, once Tebow gets the hell out of there.

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 10:05 am 
A Return To Form

I hate to be cliche. But any Broncos fan's favorite team is the Denver Broncos and fuck the fucking Raiders.

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 2:52 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

My Chiefs may have a worse record... and may have been one of the most historically bad teams in the NFL this year, but they will never suck as badly as the Raiders. Ruck the Faiders!

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
My Chiefs may have a worse record... and may have been one of the most historically bad teams in the NFL this year, but they will never suck as badly as the Raiders. Ruck the Faiders!

I dont think the chiefs are much more then a qb away from being real good, the raiders need A LOT :lol:

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 7:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I dont think the chiefs are much more then a qb away from being real good, the raiders need A LOT :lol:

A QB and an HC, yeah. We're weak in patches, but those two things move us miles.

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

It sucks that the Chiefs got swept by the Raiders this year, it would have been fun to have some tag-teaming in the old thread.

PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 10:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
It sucks that the Chiefs got swept by the Raiders this year, it would have been fun to have some tag-teaming in the old thread.

Tell me about it. But on the bright side, we got the #1 overall pick. Hopefully next year we'll be able to lay the hate down together, something fierce.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 3:39 am 
Looks Like a Cat

What was the genesis of the Nick/Raiders rivalry?

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Admin

washing machine II wrote:
What was the genesis of the Nick/Raiders rivalry?
Becoming a Broncos fan. I'm sure the same is true for the other Broncos & Chiefs (& Chargers?) fans on this board.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:14 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Isn't the team perennially abysmal on the field? I guess I just don't know enough football history, because there has to be more to it than a division full contenders regularly pushing around the little guy. Right?

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:47 am 
Site Admin

Isn't the team perennially abysmal on the field? I guess I just don't know enough football history, because there has to be more to it than a division full contenders regularly pushing around the little guy. Right?
That certainly wasn't always the case. Here's a quick synopsis of the circle of AFC West Raider hatred:
--In the 60s, while the Broncos sucked badly the Chiefs & Raiders were the two best teams in the AFL. They were the first two AFL Super Bowl representatives. That rivalry got started early and fiercely.
--In the 70s, the Raiders pretty much ran over the entire AFC except for the Steelers. The Chiefs fell off a cliff and sucked for 20 years, while the Broncos clawed up to mediocrity and eventually knocked the Raiders off their pedestal in 1977 to go to their first Super Bowl. The Chargers also got their shots back in the late 70s/early 80s with Coryell, and when the Raiders moved to LA and invaded SoCal, the Chargers/Raiders rivalry went nuclear.
--In the late 80s, the Raiders hired away Mike Shanahan from the Broncos, but he only lasted a season and a quarter there because he wouldn't put up with Al Davis's micromanaging. The two had immense hatred for each other ever since and it only escalated when Shanny became the Broncos HC in 1995. When Al was alive and Shanny was there I'd be hard pressed to find a more vicious rivalry than that one.
--From the mid 90s onward, aside from that mini-run in the early 2000s they've been largely as abysmal as you recall. Shanny posted a 21-7 record against the Raiders and Schottenheimer went 18-3 against them with the Chiefs and 8-2 with the Chargers.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:54 am 
Future Drummer

That's actually why I want the Raiders to be good again. We need that villainous, evil presence in the league.

Besides Bill Belichick, of course.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:57 am 
Looks Like a Cat

That sort of reads like a Marvel story line. Thanks for the outline, Nick.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:58 am 
Site Admin

Orpheus wrote:
That's actually why I want the Raiders to be good again. We need that villainous, evil presence in the league.

Besides Bill Belichick, of course.
Nah, I'm fine with the Emperor Palpatine presence staying in New England while the Raiders continue to act more like stormtroopers.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 3:34 pm 
See you in another life, brother

How do you feel about

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 4:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Green Habit wrote:
That certainly wasn't always the case. Here's a quick synopsis of the circle of AFC West Raider hatred:
--In the 60s, while the Broncos sucked badly the Chiefs & Raiders were the two best teams in the AFL. They were the first two AFL Super Bowl representatives. That rivalry got started early and fiercely.
--In the 70s, the Raiders pretty much ran over the entire AFC except for the Steelers. The Chiefs fell off a cliff and sucked for 20 years, while the Broncos clawed up to mediocrity and eventually knocked the Raiders off their pedestal in 1977 to go to their first Super Bowl. The Chargers also got their shots back in the late 70s/early 80s with Coryell, and when the Raiders moved to LA and invaded SoCal, the Chargers/Raiders rivalry went nuclear.
--In the late 80s, the Raiders hired away Mike Shanahan from the Broncos, but he only lasted a season and a quarter there because he wouldn't put up with Al Davis's micromanaging. The two had immense hatred for each other ever since and it only escalated when Shanny became the Broncos HC in 1995. When Al was alive and Shanny was there I'd be hard pressed to find a more vicious rivalry than that one.
--From the mid 90s onward, aside from that mini-run in the early 2000s they've been largely as abysmal as you recall. Shanny posted a 21-7 record against the Raiders and Schottenheimer went 18-3 against them with the Chiefs and 8-2 with the Chargers.

The Shanny-Raiders games were always so great. It was just so obviously personal for Shanahan and he took such great joy in beating them. Especially in those years when he still had a lawsuit pending against them for money they never paid him (which I believe he ultimately won). God it was great.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports