The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cricket
PostPosted: Mon July 22, 2013 4:00 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Varis wrote:
NancyBabich wrote:
Well you should make it to 150 maybe even 200. You know 5-0 might be on after all.

At this point I certainly wouldn't be betting against it.

I've been saying to friends that Clarke is the only Aussie who could even be in with a chance of getting into the England XI. Or maybe Siddle for Bresnan but you get the point.

My team for the next test is unchanged batting line up (Warner failed in Zim and unless he gets a ton in Hove then he won't play) plus Haddin, Siddle, Harris, Bird/Starc and Lyon.

Good read on CA's plight - http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/content/current/story/653981.html

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I'm starting to think there's actually something dodgy going on with these umpires. What the fuck was that Khawaja review? They looked so long to try and find some evidence that it was out, couldn't find it, but send the OUT message downstairs anyway.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 12:49 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/usman-khawaja-dismissal-cricket-australia-lodges-complaint-after-howler-of-all-howlers-20130802-2r2sg.html

Usman Khawaja dismissal: Cricket Australia lodges complaint after howler of all howlers
Quote:
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland has sought a please-explain from the International Cricket Council over a flabbergasting umpiring decision that saw Usman Khawaja sent on his way on the first day of the third Test.

"We understand and accept that from time to time mistakes can be made, however in this instance, on behalf of the player, the team and all cricket fans, we feel duty bound to seek further explanation as to how this decision was arrived at."

Khawaja's dismissal before lunch was mystifying and maddening.

If New Zealand umpire Tony Hill's raising of the finger, adjudging Khawaja to have edged a Graeme Swann delivery to England wicketkeeper Matt Prior was not bad enough, the decision by third umpire Kumar Dharmasena not to overrule it after the batsman had called for a review was barely believable.

There was no Hot Spot evidence of contact with the bat, nor a noise or deviation from the bat, and in fact replays showed Khawaja's bat had instead flicked his pad, hence the Snickometer reading of a slight sound just before the ball arrived.

Dharmasena, who just happens to be the ICC's umpire of the year, saw something else, however, and ordered the Australian No.3 to depart.
How a dismissal united a nation

Khawaja was furious as he left and CA, sharing his displeasure, made the rare move of lodging an official complaint.

“Cricket Australia has sought an explanation from the ICC on the dismissal of Usman Khawaja. In our view, the on-field decision and referred decision using DRS were both incorrect," Sutherland said in a statement issued after play.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 1:28 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Despite all of that we still managed to lose only three wickets in a day. Incredible, given our recent form. :nice:

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 2:40 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I'm glad Clarke got to 125 in the end. He looked a little shaky to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 6:07 am 
AnalLog

The replay I watched included an audible connection with something and he was nowhere near his pad. The hotspot came back blank. I'm so confused, guys.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 7:42 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Soma. wrote:
The replay I watched included an audible connection with something and he was nowhere near his pad. The hotspot came back blank. I'm so confused, guys.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Smith DRS not out decision?
Khawaja's bat was no where near the ball, and there is no sound as the ball passes. The small sound that is there is well before the ball passes. The bat looks like it's flicked the top of the pad.

He didn't turn around and review it straight away because of this very thing that keeps happening.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 3:34 pm 
AnalLog

Right you are, sir. That was a fucking horrendous decision.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2013 10:45 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Soma. wrote:
Right you are, sir. That was a fucking horrendous decision.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat August 03, 2013 7:35 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I thought this was particularly funny, though I can understand why Warner thought he hadn't hit that one. I wouldn't say he's a Watson with reviewing just yet.

PostPosted: Mon August 05, 2013 11:05 pm 

Crummy way for the series to be decided. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 12:36 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

zeb wrote:
Crummy way for the series to be decided. :thumbsdown:

Absolutely. We were on fire too. :(
Hopefully we can capitalize on being on top right now and win the next too.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 11:43 am 

Australia were trounced in the first 2 tests and the series was all but over two weeks ago. Build has started but we still have issues. We need 2 or 3 batsmen so cement their spot and for Watson to either step up or fuck off.

Next test I'd rest Harris and give Bird a run. No other changes unles Siddle needs a break.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 12:29 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
Australia were trounced in the first 2 tests and the series was all but over two weeks ago. Build has started but we still have issues. We need 2 or 3 batsmen so cement their spot and for Watson to either step up or fuck off.

Next test I'd rest Harris and give Bird a run. No other changes unles Siddle needs a break.

I don't see that happening. Harris bowled really fucking well that last day. I'd really like Bird to have a chance too, though. The guy looks like he has a big future, and that's just based on one game. I'd even like to see how firey Faulkner would do in a test, even though I know he's not a Test bowler. Just to see what it'd look like really.

The thing is, we have all these bowling options, but our bowling has been pretty good. Apparently our pace attack is the 3rd best to tour England since 2001. It's our batting that is just awful. That and we don't have a spinner as strong as Swann.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2013 5:40 pm 
A Return To Form

We were hugely lucky with the rain there would really have struggled to bat out the day. Mind you there were never going to be 25 days play and no rain got to win whilst the sun is out.

I think the winter series is going to be very close.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 1:09 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
We need 2 or 3 batsmen so cement their spot and for Watson to either step up or fuck off.

Watson really showed his poor form that last game. Most other batter capitalized on the flat pitch in a big way. Rogers looked great from the first ball he faced on the first day, he was always going to make a big total. But Watson at the other end looked like shit the whole time and I was surprised he even made as many runs as he did. His career is definitely in jeopardy.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 3:50 am 

I'd give Watson the flick now. Guy can't perform under pressure in the long game, so what are we going to see now in two dead rubbers that is going to make him look any different? Leave him to flourish in the short forms but keep him well away from Test opener.

Bird is good value. I wish that there was a way to fit all of our bowlers in.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 4:26 am 

zeb wrote:
I'd give Watson the flick now. Guy can't perform under pressure in the long game, so what are we going to see now in two dead rubbers that is going to make him look any different? Leave him to flourish in the short forms but keep him well away from Test opener.

The extra day off (day 5) would help Harris regain fitness. I read one piece saying keep XI as is except drop Watson for Bird/Faulkner, meaning that Haddin is No6 with Starc as an all rounder. Interesting approach that I don't agree with.

And Adam, I too would play Harris if he was 100%. If not, and considering it's a dead rubber, get Bird some time on the field.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2013 4:30 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
zeb wrote:

The extra day off (day 5) would help Harris regain fitness. I read one piece saying keep XI as is except drop Watson for Bird/Faulkner, meaning that Haddin is No6 with Starc as an all rounder. Interesting approach that I don't agree with.

And Adam, I too would play Harris if he was 100%. If not, and considering it's a dead rubber, get Bird some time on the field.

Starc as an all-rounder is very interesting, and seeing as we are producing better bowlers than batters, an extra bowler could really be the way to go. Starc has proved himself on more than one occasion with the bat, at times when we have been under pressure too. I'd trust Starc to perform with the bat more than I would Watson at this stage.

PostPosted: Sat August 10, 2013 9:03 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Jackson Bird's wicket was delicious to watch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports