The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sat July 15, 2017 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 7844
Location: Franklin, MA
Tzu-Wei Lin


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1282
Location: The Jungle
philpritchard wrote:
Trout is about as close as anyone.


What if he ends his career today though? If he plays 5 more years, even average years, sure, but if he retires today? I don't know. Well, and he wouldn't be eligible (MLB requires 10 seasons)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 3776
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Trout is about as close as anyone.


What if he ends his career today though? If he plays 5 more years, even average years, sure, but if he retires today? I don't know. Well, and he wouldn't be eligible (MLB requires 10 seasons)


He's one of those "absolutely insane peak" guys I mentioned earlier. Aside from roided-out Bonds, he's easily the most dominant player any of us has ever watched.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1282
Location: The Jungle
philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Trout is about as close as anyone.


What if he ends his career today though? If he plays 5 more years, even average years, sure, but if he retires today? I don't know. Well, and he wouldn't be eligible (MLB requires 10 seasons)


He's one of those "absolutely insane peak" guys I mentioned earlier. Aside from roided-out Bonds, he's easily the most dominant player any of us has ever watched.


Hey! Don't forget Miggy. His numbers are insane. 9 of 14 seasons in the top 10 for MVP voting, AND, he slowly cut the strike outs down over his career. If Trout can do that, look out.
from a pure hitting statistic standpoint? arguing Trout vs Miggy is almost like the Aaron vs Mays debate, cant go wrong with any of those 4
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi01.shtml


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 3776
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Trout is about as close as anyone.


What if he ends his career today though? If he plays 5 more years, even average years, sure, but if he retires today? I don't know. Well, and he wouldn't be eligible (MLB requires 10 seasons)


He's one of those "absolutely insane peak" guys I mentioned earlier. Aside from roided-out Bonds, he's easily the most dominant player any of us has ever watched.


Hey! Don't forget Miggy. His numbers are insane. 9 of 14 seasons in the top 10 for MVP voting, AND, he slowly cut the strike outs down over his career. If Trout can do that, look out.
from a pure hitting statistic standpoint? arguing Trout vs Miggy is almost like the Aaron vs Mays debate, cant go wrong with any of those 4
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... mi01.shtml


Yep. Then you factor in that Trout has been an excellent defensive CF and one of the best baserunners in baseball instead of contributing no defensive value and horrible baserunning and Trout goes from historically great hitter (which Cabrera certainly was for a while) to the most dominant asterisk-free player any of us has ever seen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45040
Will T.O. make it in before Randy Moss, who is eligible this year?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ronde Barber? He is the only player in NFL history with over 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. I'm biased because I'm a Bucs fan, but he's got the career to get in, right?

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5335
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Will T.O. make it in before Randy Moss, who is eligible this year?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ronde Barber? He is the only player in NFL history with over 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. I'm biased because I'm a Bucs fan, but he's got the career to get in, right?
He certainly should be in contention. I get the feeling that John Lynch is the next Buc in line, though.

As for TO and Moss, I've always contended that they're Hall of Famers, but not first balloters due to their on-field/locker room issues that caused them to hop teams. I'll have to review that when we get the list of finalists or semifinalists to see if I still feel the same way about Moss.

Finally, if I may inject my own bias, I will be very pissed if the Contributors committee does not nominate Pat Bowlen next week. The longer he waits, the higher odds that he won't remember it due to Alzheimer's. He should have been nominated last year alongside Jerry Jones and going in the same time as TD, but the committee had to instead push a failed bid for Paul Tagliabue, ugh.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45040
Green Habit wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Will T.O. make it in before Randy Moss, who is eligible this year?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ronde Barber? He is the only player in NFL history with over 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. I'm biased because I'm a Bucs fan, but he's got the career to get in, right?
He certainly should be in contention. I get the feeling that John Lynch is the next Buc in line, though.

As for TO and Moss, I've always contended that they're Hall of Famers, but not first balloters due to their on-field/locker room issues that caused them to hop teams. I'll have to review that when we get the list of finalists or semifinalists to see if I still feel the same way about Moss.

Finally, if I may inject my own bias, I will be very pissed if the Contributors committee does not nominate Pat Bowlen next week. The longer he waits, the higher odds that he won't remember it due to Alzheimer's. He should have been nominated last year alongside Jerry Jones and going in the same time as TD, but the committee had to instead push a failed bid for Paul Tagliabue, ugh.

Yeah, Lynch has been on the ballot for a couple of years already, though. And while his career was awesome, I'm not sure his numbers stack up to Barber's. For that reason I see Barber getting in first. I'll have to look at their numbers again, though.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1604
TO should be in the hall of fame.

Randy should be first ballot hall of fame no question.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10213
Location: Mizzou
jwfocker wrote:
TO should be in the hall of fame.

Randy should be first ballot hall of fame no question.


I whole heartily agree about Moss.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
RM Elitist
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:43 pm
Posts: 13312
Ive been thinking and decided Beltre is an easy yes and I was wrong for ever thinking otherwise.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on I check on my Grindr


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1362
Monkey_Driven wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
TO should be in the hall of fame.

Randy should be first ballot hall of fame no question.


I whole heartily agree about Moss.


Statistically, Moss is the second best wide receiver ever. He's a first ballot guy for sure.

TO will get in this time.

I really hope Urlacher doesn't get in on first ballot.

One of the most overrated players in NFL history.

~1,300 total tackles, just 41.5 sacks and only created 34 turnovers

I'm not saying he was bad, he was pretty good. But people talk about him like he was a fucking god.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Fri August 11, 2017 12:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1282
Location: The Jungle
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Will T.O. make it in before Randy Moss, who is eligible this year?

Also, what are your thoughts on Ronde Barber? He is the only player in NFL history with over 40 interceptions and 20 sacks. I'm biased because I'm a Bucs fan, but he's got the career to get in, right?
He certainly should be in contention. I get the feeling that John Lynch is the next Buc in line, though.

As for TO and Moss, I've always contended that they're Hall of Famers, but not first balloters due to their on-field/locker room issues that caused them to hop teams. I'll have to review that when we get the list of finalists or semifinalists to see if I still feel the same way about Moss.

Finally, if I may inject my own bias, I will be very pissed if the Contributors committee does not nominate Pat Bowlen next week. The longer he waits, the higher odds that he won't remember it due to Alzheimer's. He should have been nominated last year alongside Jerry Jones and going in the same time as TD, but the committee had to instead push a failed bid for Paul Tagliabue, ugh.

Yeah, Lynch has been on the ballot for a couple of years already, though. And while his career was awesome, I'm not sure his numbers stack up to Barber's. For that reason I see Barber getting in first. I'll have to look at their numbers again, though.


Lynch, Polamalu, and Ed Reed have 41 combined forced fumbles. Brian Dawkins had 36 himself. 37 Ints, 26 Sacks, just missed Barbers club.
I hate though that the NFL most likely will not put Dawkins in, until the other DBs / safeties that retired before him are in. Not even saying Dawkins should get in before them, its just the way the NFL HoF seems to work (especially with WR's)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Fri August 11, 2017 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46836
Location: Sector 7-G
@SkitchP wrote:
Ive been thinking and decided Beltre is an easy yes and I was wrong for ever thinking otherwise.

I'm glad you've come around.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Fri August 11, 2017 4:30 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1205
run2death wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
TO should be in the hall of fame.

Randy should be first ballot hall of fame no question.


I whole heartily agree about Moss.


Statistically, Moss is the second best wide receiver ever. He's a first ballot guy for sure.

TO will get in this time.

I really hope Urlacher doesn't get in on first ballot.

One of the most overrated players in NFL history.

~1,300 total tackles, just 41.5 sacks and only created 34 turnovers

I'm not saying he was bad, he was pretty good. But people talk about him like he was a fucking god.


Urlacher is one of the most over-rated players of the last 25-30 years


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12382
Location: Cumberland, RI
chud and I talked a bit about Dustin Pedroia's shot a little earlier this season (in the MLB thread). I've got this sinking feeling that his current knee injury may fall somewhere on the spectrum of "career shortener" to "career ender" (and, at the very least, slow him down for the rest of his playing days). If his career tails off from now on, I don't think he's got a shot.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46836
Location: Sector 7-G
no way he's got a shot if this is the beginning of his end


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12382
Location: Cumberland, RI
There's a small glimmer of hope from the "played hard, played the right way" camp, but not enough to push him across the finish line. I dunno what the injury is exactly, but I hope that if he needs surgery or something, he does it right away as opposed to trying rehab and trying to get back this year.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:23 am
Posts: 1869
Location: The In Between
Simple Torture wrote:
There's a small glimmer of hope from the "played hard, played the right way" camp, but not enough to push him across the finish line. I dunno what the injury is exactly, but I hope that if he needs surgery or something, he does it right away as opposed to trying rehab and trying to get back this year.


I am no Boston fan, but when I think of baseball over the past 10 years, he's one of the first 5 names that springs to mind. He doesn't have the magic numbers for the HOF, and I'm annoyed by that obsession with numbers. I don't understand how someone can be the best rookie, be the most valuable player, be the best fielder at his position 4 times, and play a key role in capturing the ultimate prize twice, all while maintaining a career average over .300 and not get in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46836
Location: Sector 7-G
He's been hurt too much.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CopperTom and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue December 12, 2017 12:33 am