The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will he be a Hall of Famer?
PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 3:42 am 
Rank This Poster

Molina's tough for me... I think all catchers are, though. But did he have a better career than his contemporaries? Mauer? McCann? Martin? They're all on basically the same level, and I don't know the answer to any of them.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 1:12 pm 
The Master

philpritchard wrote:
Molina's tough for me... I think all catchers are, though. But did he have a better career than his contemporaries? Mauer? McCann? Martin? They're all on basically the same level, and I don't know the answer to any of them.

my gut says no on the latter three

i actually don't want molina to get in now that i think about it...last year i went to a cardinals game and he hit a hard line drive foul ball behind me...had i realized where it would land and reacted pretty quickly i could have made a play on it

PostPosted: Tue August 04, 2020 3:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

my gut says no on the latter three

i actually don't want molina to get in now that i think about it...last year i went to a cardinals game and he hit a hard line drive foul ball behind me...had i realized where it would land and reacted pretty quickly i could have made a play on it

I just think it's odd that it sounds like there's so much support for him based purely on his defense, while guys who are a bit worse defensively but much better offensively are completely overlooked. Maybe it's just the impression I'm getting from what I've been reading and it'll be different when the time comes for voting.

PostPosted: Thu August 06, 2020 11:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

greinke? i love him, but unless he puts together some great late career seasons my gut is he's not getting in

I don't think so. Three top-5 Cy Young finishes over a 17 year career, led the league in ERA just twice--those are similar numbers to David Price, not Kershaw or Scherzer. He was a dominant pitcher when he was on (he's so-so now) but I can't imagine him getting the call.

PostPosted: Thu August 06, 2020 11:38 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
greinke? i love him, but unless he puts together some great late career seasons my gut is he's not getting in

I don't think so. Three top-5 Cy Young finishes over a 17 year career, led the league in ERA just twice--those are similar numbers to David Price, not Kershaw or Scherzer. He was a dominant pitcher when he was on (he's so-so now) but I can't imagine him getting the call.

yeah...that's why i think if he somehow finishes his career really strongly there's a chance, but i doubt he does that

he will always be my mental health bro, though

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 1:48 am 
Rank This Poster

Greinke's really close for me. His advanced stats suggest he should probably get it, and he's reached 200+ wins and will get close to 3000 Ks.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 1:50 am 
The Master

what do you think degrom will have to do?

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 1:56 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

If he wins the Cy Young this year, he's probably in. 3 in a row? C'mon. I believe only Randy Johnson has done that before. It's too bad he plays for the Mets, he has really good postseason stats the one time they got in with him.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 1:57 am 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:

If he wins the Cy Young this year, he's probably in. 3 in a row? C'mon. I believe only Randy Johnson has done that before. It's too bad he plays for the Mets, he has really good postseason stats the one time they got in with him.

i'd love to have him on the giants

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 10:17 am 
Rank This Poster

Simple Torture wrote:

deGrom is in a tough spot because he didn't make his debut until he was 26, so despite a ridiculous peak, he still has to put together a bunch of good seasons into his late 30s to have a chance.

He's like the pitching equivalent to Donaldson or Bautista.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 12:12 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

philpritchard wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

deGrom is in a tough spot because he didn't make his debut until he was 26, so despite a ridiculous peak, he still has to put together a bunch of good seasons into his late 30s to have a chance.

He's like the pitching equivalent to Donaldson or Bautista.

Randy Johnson actually might be a good comparison, too! I didn't realize until I saw your post, but the Unit didn't debut until he was 25. Through his age 31 season, he was a 4-time All Star and had just won his first Cy Young. He had led the AL in ERA once and had led the Majors in Ks three times. He had a 28.3 WAR during that stretch. DeGrom is a 3-time AS, RoY, 2-time Cy Young with a WAR of 34. Johnson probably had the HOF locked down at age 36/37, so it'll be interesting to see if DeGrom can produce at that level for that long.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 3:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:

Should contemporaries matter? I'm a no on Molina, but in that context he probably is the best catcher of his generation, but I'm hesitant about making contemporaries a consideration. Then again, I'm a very small hall guy.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 3:35 pm 
The Master

Does Molina get additional consideration because of his importance to one of the best teams of the 2005-2020 era?

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 3:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Does Molina get additional consideration because of his importance to one of the best teams of the 2005-2020 era?

For me, the baseball HOF should only be people who are unquestionably the greatest players to ever play the game. I think every case is different and unique, and things like that should be considered, but I don’t think Molina rises to my standard. That’s just me, though.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 4:17 pm 
The Master

numbers wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

For me, the baseball HOF should only be people who are unquestionably the greatest players to ever play the game. I think every case is different and unique, and things like that should be considered, but I don’t think Molina rises to my standard. That’s just me, though.

I agree with you, though I don't pay attention much to the voting since they refuse to vote in steroid users.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2020 5:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Monkey_Driven wrote:
numbers wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I agree with you, though I don't pay attention much to the voting since they refuse to vote in steroid users.

That became an absurd argument the moment Bud Selig got in.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 2:14 am 
The Master

fernando tatis jr.?

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 2:15 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Are you smoking crack today, lenny?

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 2:19 am 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Are you smoking crack today, lenny?

no...why?

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 2:24 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Just asking, sheesh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 49  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports