The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Who wins?
Broncos 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Panthers 61%  61%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: Super Bowl L: The Aftermath Of Firing John Fox
PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 5:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
I didn't have a rooting interest either way, and good for Denver and its fans, and holy shit what a great defensive performance, but also holy shit what a train wreck that game was. just brutal from a football fan's perspective. vanilla crowd. terrible announcing. inept offenses. shit show refereeing. no flow. fits and starts. it was so bad.
I realize that offense is what sells football games, but the bolded is awfully contradictory. And "vanilla crowd" is nearly every Super Bowl crowd in recent history. And while I certainly won't defend Phil Simms, I will step up for Jim Nantz--I thought that was one of his finest called games.

Aw, who am I kidding, I also realize I'm seeing this through orange-tinted glasses. :oops:

congrats nick!

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
I didn't have a rooting interest either way, and good for Denver and its fans, and holy shit what a great defensive performance, but also holy shit what a train wreck that game was. just brutal from a football fan's perspective. vanilla crowd. terrible announcing. inept offenses. shit show refereeing. no flow. fits and starts. it was so bad.
I realize that offense is what sells football games, but the bolded is awfully contradictory. And "vanilla crowd" is nearly every Super Bowl crowd in recent history. And while I certainly won't defend Phil Simms, I will step up for Jim Nantz--I thought that was one of his finest called games.

Aw, who am I kidding, I also realize I'm seeing this through orange-tinted glasses. :oops:
congrats nick!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 5:56 pm 
Gone

Jim Nantz had on one of the worst ties I've ever seen last night. Going radioactive mucus green for the super bowl is never a good look.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 7:49 pm 
See you in another life, brother

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Happy for the Broncos and their fans, but saying "Peyton got another" is a huge overstatement, right? He played just as sh*tty as Cam last night.

And Peyton carried some mediocre teams and coaches throughout most of his prime, so I have no problem celebrating this championship for Peyton. Championships are a stupid way to evaluate individual performance, and this really exemplifies that, but hey for all the people who hate on him for that reason now he "got another" and I'm really happy about that.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 7:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

4/5 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Happy for the Broncos and their fans, but saying "Peyton got another" is a huge overstatement, right? He played just as sh*tty as Cam last night.

And Peyton carried some mediocre teams and coaches throughout most of his prime, so I have no problem celebrating this championship for Peyton. Championships are a stupid way to evaluate individual performance, and this really exemplifies that, but hey for all the people who hate on him for that reason now he "got another" and I'm really happy about that.

Oh I agree. I just made the overstatement comment to inquire about how Elway and the broncos are looking at it?

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 7:52 pm 
Gone

4/5 wrote:
so I have no problem celebrating this championship for Peyton. Championships are a stupid way to evaluate individual performance, and this really exemplifies that.

This is mostly true...unless we are talking about Lebron.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 7:54 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
4/5 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Oh I agree. I just made the overstatement comment to inquire about how Elway and the broncos are looking at it?

Oh, well in that case yeah they probably want to move on. The only way I could see it being different is if they are aware of a significant injury that we don't know about that they think he could come back from AND he agreed to throw away the current contract, play for incentives and come into camp as part of an open competition. I'd be stunned if that actually happens. I think he'll retire and agree with GH that if he doesn't he'll at the very least be done in Denver.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2016 8:47 pm 

verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:
so I have no problem celebrating this championship for Peyton. Championships are a stupid way to evaluate individual performance, and this really exemplifies that.

This is mostly true...unless we are talking about Lebron.

It's more fair in basketball at least, but still a vast oversimplification.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 2:01 am 
Future Drummer

A real difference maker in the game that people aren't talking about as much: special teams.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/super-bowl-50-quick-reads

My own take: I really thought Shula was badly out-coordinated by Wade Phillips, and Denver's D exploited the weaknesses of Carolina's offense incredibly well. Once Corey Brown went out (really the only guy that was a difference maker for the Panthers) it was kind of all over. It'll be really interesting to see what Carolina does in the draft. You'd like to stop relying on guys like Ginn and Cotchery, but they've already sunk quite a bit of draft capital into WR the last two years. They could also go O-line and try to get a real stud tackle or quard, or try to get someone dynamic to pair with Norman in the secondary.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Orpheus wrote:
A real difference maker in the game that people aren't talking about as much: special teams.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/super-bowl-50-quick-reads

My own take: I really thought Shula was badly out-coordinated by Wade Phillips, and Denver's D exploited the weaknesses of Carolina's offense incredibly well. Once Corey Brown went out (really the only guy that was a difference maker for the Panthers) it was kind of all over. It'll be really interesting to see what Carolina does in the draft. You'd like to stop relying on guys like Ginn and Cotchery, but they've already sunk quite a bit of draft capital into WR the last two years. They could also go O-line and try to get a real stud tackle or quard, or try to get someone dynamic to pair with Norman in the secondary.
They'll get Kelvin Benjamin back, that should help. They definitely need to replace Remmers, but at least he's not as bad as Michael Schofield was for the Broncos this year.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

This could easily have been found on one of those No Fear t-shirts that were hot shit in the early 90s.

Cam Newton wrote:
You show me a good loser and I’m going to show you a loser.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 7:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
This could easily have been found on one of those No Fear t-shirts that were hot shit in the early 90s.

Cam Newton wrote:
You show me a good loser and I’m going to show you a loser.

hes not wrong but went about it all wrong IMO. if youre going to celebrate and smile and talk the talk when you are winning then you have to take bad to no matter how shitty it tastes going down

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 8:11 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

He took it, though, did he not? This over-examination of his one-word post-game presser questions is making a big deal out of nothing. He congratulated #18 after the game, and then went into grieving with his team. AND THEN a bunch of couch potato, internet junkies started flipping their shit over how he should have acted after losing the Super Bowl. I like how he's handling the entire situation. Haters gonna hate.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Kaius wrote:
He took it, though, did he not? This over-examination of his one-word post-game presser questions is making a big deal out of nothing. He congratulated #18 after the game, and then went into grieving with his team. AND THEN a bunch of couch potato, internet junkies started flipping their shit over how he should have acted after losing the Super Bowl. I like how he's handling the entire situation. Haters gonna hate.
Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2016 11:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
Kaius wrote:
Agreed.

Disagree. When your team leader and defacto spokesperson doesn't face the press with grace and stay to answer their questions, those tasks fall to others on the team. That's not great leadership. I have no doubt he will learn from this experience though.

PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2016 12:18 am 
Gone

Press conferences are stupid and sports writers are some of the dumbest people alive. I really hope this sets precedent for players disregarding them if allowed or at least telling the media how dumb they are. Did everyone really need the canned bullshit answers so badly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports