The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The NFL and Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 3:40 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

So how many teams will be in LA next year? I'm thinking two--the NFL will somehow try to keep the Rams in St. Louis, but will happily move the other 2.

Post subject: Re: 2015 NFL Season
PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 4:30 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
So how many teams will be in LA next year? I'm thinking two--the NFL will somehow try to keep the Rams in St. Louis, but will happily move the other 2.

I think our politicians and maybe 127 fans are the only people who really want the Rams to stay in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 4:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

No way L.A. will sell out 16 home games a year. No way. This will be a monumental failure, and I'll laugh when it is.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Simple Torture wrote:
I'm torn on this--I want the Raiders out the Bay Area, but I also do not want them to leave the AFC West.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

It's weird, I'd say Rams and Chargers. The majority of owners still hate the Raiders regardless of which Davis owns them and would gleefully cut them out of the mix. The problem is the Raiders and the Chargers are partnered.

So, I'd say you might just see the Rams for now, or no teams. I think the Chargers will be in L.A. eventually, but may have to stick it out in S.D. for a couple more years.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I'm torn on this--I want the Raiders out the Bay Area, but I also do not want them to leave the AFC West.

why would they leave the AFC West if they moved?

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

If the Chargers and Raiders were relocated they wouldn't want two AFC teams in the same TV market.

Chances are one of them would switch conferences with the Seahawks or Cards.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:29 pm 

turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

If the Chargers and Raiders were relocated they wouldn't want two AFC teams in the same TV market.

Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Surely, they'd move the Chargers out of the AFC West right? The rivalry with Denver and KC is too big to eliminate.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Right, except I don't really see the need for this. Scheduling is actually slightly easier since because they'd play each other twice a year there's only 14 conflicts instead of 16. Plus, the NFC deal has way more populous markets than the AFC deal so giving CBS both LA teams would actually even things out in that regard.

I expect both the Cards and Seahawks to be firm nays on the Carson project unless they're assured there's no realignment involved.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
turned2black wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Right, except I don't really see the need for this. Scheduling is actually slightly easier since because they'd play each other twice a year there's only 14 conflicts instead of 16. Plus, the NFC deal has way more populous markets than the AFC deal so giving CBS both LA teams would actually even things out in that regard.

I expect both the Cards and Seahawks to be firm nays on the Carson project unless they're assured there's no realignment involved.

I wonder how they figure which is a home and which is an away game if the Chargers & Raiders share a field and play each other twice a year.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

durdencommatyler wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Surely, they'd move the Chargers out of the AFC West right? The rivalry with Denver and KC is too big to eliminate.
That's what any reasonable person would say. Unfortunately, it sounds like Mark Davis has already volunteered to switch. That would make his dad, the former AFL commissioner and an ardent opponent of the merger, perennially roll over in his grave.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

durdencommatyler wrote:
I wonder how they figure which is a home and which is an away game if the Chargers & Raiders share a field and play each other twice a year.
Same as they do when NYG and NYJ play each other: whoever's designated as the home team gets their season ticket holders their seats, and they change the decorations accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
That's what any reasonable person would say. Unfortunately, it sounds like Mark Davis has already volunteered to switch. That would make his dad, the former AFL commissioner and an ardent opponent of the merger, perennially roll over in his grave.

Blech.

Whatever. I'll still fucking hate the Raiders on principle.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Same as they do when NYG and NYJ play each other: whoever's designated as the home team gets their season ticket holders their seats, and they change the decorations accordingly.

But the Jets and Giants are in different conferences and don't play each other twice every year.... I guess that doesn't really make a difference though. They'd each still get the same number of home games. Never mind.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

durdencommatyler wrote:
Blech.

I know, right? At least you Chiefs fans were lucky enough to finally regain the head-to-head record over those bastards--Broncos still have about 5 or so seasons of sweeping them to go. :(

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 7:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Blech.

I know, right? At least you Chiefs fans were lucky enough to finally regain the head-to-head record over those bastards--Broncos still have about 5 or so seasons of sweeping them to go. :(

You'll get there. The Raiders are taking some steps in the right direction, yes. But they're still the Raiders. They have at least a decade of above mediocre play before anyone can take them seriously.

Carr, Cooper, Mack. One of those guys won't be a Raider much longer. They'll implode faster than they can build.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 8:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:

Actually, there are some reports that say the Rams would change conferences if the Carson project goes through.

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 8:06 pm 
The Master

turned2black wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Actually, there are some reports that say the Rams would change conferences if the Carson project goes through.

Maybe do a swap with the Chargers or something?

PostPosted: Tue January 05, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

turned2black wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Actually, there are some reports that say the Rams would change conferences if the Carson project goes through
That would really be punitive on Kroenke, though. "Hey, we just denied your LA bid, and guess what? We're also making you switch conferences!"

While this sounds (and is) absolutely stupid, maybe it's the 49ers that switch, since they'd be getting a benefit for getting the Raiders out of the Bay Area, and could also get the Cards and Seahawks on the side of the Carson bid knowing they wouldn't be realigned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports