The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the miami dolphins
PostPosted: Fri April 30, 2021 11:11 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I hate the trade from 12 to 6, it wound up being just brutal so that's very disappointing. I preferred Smith to Waddle and really wish there was a trade down once Pitts got picked, but once the Niners went for Lance maybe that just wasn't going to materialize. Frustrating to see the Eagles trade a 3rd to move from 12 to snag Smith, but oh well.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

Like every major publication I read has the dolphins having the best draft of any team

I dont get it but they know more than me apparently

So it's basically have Pitts vs waddle/a first/a third.. most are comparing waddle to tyreek which would be fucking fantastic if he's anywhere near as good

What pissed me off was not taking harris at 18, and then the broncos moving ahead to take the unc guy

It seems the 2 defensive picks are really good, the edge rusher from the U scares me with a few concussions tho

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Released Bobby McCain. Saw this coming. Love the player but really do prefer a heavier hitter at FS. There simply is no room for him on this roster. Would love to see him succeed as a slot CB somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 3:18 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

X Howard is holding out after signing a 5-year extension last year. I'd hate to lose him but would understand not overpaying for a great player with extensive injury history.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Players need to learn that most veteran contracts are a one year commitment from the team, two at best, and to stop agreeing to sign anything longer than that so they don't get screwed over when they outplay their contract.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 3:59 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, it's totally on him. He made his bed, now he needs to lie in it, for better or worse. It's not like it's even a bad contract! It puts the team in a tough spot because if they bow to his demands now it sets a precedent and worsens the culture, which matters a lot, I've learned with this team over the years.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 6:51 pm 

tree_ wrote:
Yeah, it's totally on him. He made his bed, now he needs to lie in it, for better or worse. It's not like it's even a bad contract! It puts the team in a tough spot because if they bow to his demands now it sets a precedent and worsens the culture, which matters a lot, I've learned with this team over the years.

At the same time he's probably the best CB in the game and not even the highest paid CB on the team.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 7:47 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Then why did he sign the extension last year?

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

At the same time he's probably the best CB in the game and not even the highest paid CB on the team.
This is what I think is the aggravating factor. The Broncos got themselves into a similar mess with Chris Harris Jr. a couple years ago when he took an extremely team friendly extension early in his career, then got upset when they paid Kareem Jackson a sizeable amount more.

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 7:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

go broncos

PostPosted: Wed June 16, 2021 8:05 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Maybe the Dolphins actually value Byron Jones more, which is why he's paid more. Probably because he's more reliable/stays healthier.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 5:27 pm 

tree_ wrote:
Maybe the Dolphins actually value Byron Jones more, which is why he's paid more. Probably because he's more reliable/stays healthier.

No way. Howard >>>>>>>> Jones. They paid Jones what they did because he was a FA and they had a ton of cap space last offseason. You always pay more for an UFA than to extend somebody under contract.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

No way. Howard >>>>>>>> Jones. They paid Jones what they did because he was a FA and they had a ton of cap space last offseason. You always pay more for an UFA than to extend somebody under contract.
Since this is kind of my big thing these days, let's look at the running cash flows for Howard and Jones:

Now, what the Year 0 means is that Howard signed his extension while he was still in the last season of his heavily cost-controlled rookie contract, when he got a $7M signing bonus and a $7M roster bonus up front. So for practical purposes, the actual seasons that their contracts start are both 2020.

Accounting for that, the Dolphins can make the argument that Jones is not that much drastically paid higher than Howard is, and that any contract renegotiation should be minimal, if at all. But as you say, Howard can make the argument that Howard >>>>>>>> Jones.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 6:48 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
tree_ wrote:

Since this is kind of my big thing these days, let's look at the running cash flows for Howard and Jones:

Now, what the Year 0 means is that Howard signed his extension while he was still in the last season of his heavily cost-controlled rookie contract, when he got a $7M signing bonus and a $7M roster bonus up front. So for practical purposes, the actual seasons that their contracts start are both 2020.

Accounting for that, the Dolphins can make the argument that Jones is not that much drastically paid higher than Howard is, and that any contract renegotiation should be minimal, if at all. But as you say, Howard can make the argument that Howard >>>>>>>> Jones.

I read an article from overthecap in the last couple of days, now I'm wondering if that was you lol. Jones has about $19m more in guaranteed money than Howard and if Howard gets hurt or sucks next year he's never going to see those back end fictional dollars anyway. I don't blame him for taking a shot here at a point where whatever leverage he'll ever have is probably maxed out now. He's taking a page straight from Darelle Revis' playbook: get the guaranteed money and once it's gone or almost gone demand a new contract.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
I read an article from overthecap in the last couple of days, now I'm wondering if that was you lol.
Nah, Jason has may more experience than I do, I mainly just do the technical stuff.

4/5 wrote:
Jones has about $19m more in guaranteed money than Howard and if Howard gets hurt or sucks next year he's never going to see those back end fictional dollars anyway.
The guarantee difference is smaller than that now that Howard's 2021 base salary has had its injury guarantee vest to full. Jones does have $6M in Year 3 that Howard doesn't have, though.

Something else that I forgot to add is that Howard still did better with his extension through 2021 than he would have if he got franchise tagged twice. He would have earned almost $36M by the time 2021 is over had he turned down the extension, as opposed to almost $38M now. There is no way he would have gotten tagged a third time, so if he made it through 2021 unscathed and still at the top of his game, he'd likely get paid much more than Jones would in 2022 onward. But the other side of that tradeoff is if he gets seriously injured or just has a bad year when his contract is up. Players are rarely in a good position in the NFL when it comes to contractual leverage.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 7:11 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
I read an article from overthecap in the last couple of days, now I'm wondering if that was you lol.
Nah, Jason has may more experience than I do, I mainly just do the technical stuff.

4/5 wrote:
Jones has about $19m more in guaranteed money than Howard and if Howard gets hurt or sucks next year he's never going to see those back end fictional dollars anyway.
The guarantee difference is smaller than that now that Howard's 2021 base salary has had its injury guarantee vest to full. Jones does have $6M in Year 3 that Howard doesn't have, though.

Something else that I forgot to add is that Howard still did better with his extension through 2021 than he would have if he got franchise tagged twice. He would have earned almost $36M by the time 2021 is over had he turned down the extension, as opposed to almost $38M now. There is no way he would have gotten tagged a third time, so if he made it through 2021 unscathed and still at the top of his game, he'd likely get paid much more than Jones would in 2022 onward. But the other side of that tradeoff is if he gets seriously injured or just has a bad year when his contract is up. Players are rarely in a good position in the NFL when it comes to contractual leverage.

Really that's all I'm saying. And that he's much better than Jones lol. I hope they get this worked out and he has another great year. I just don't fault him for going for it right now when his entire lifetime earning potential can come crashing down at any minute. And it's not a bad contract that he's on now, I think when he signed it he became the highest paid CB in the game. From what I read this isn't a crisis rn, he missed minicamp.

PostPosted: Sun June 20, 2021 5:06 pm 
AnalLog

Howard is afraid of not being able to put two straight injury free seasons together...that's why he wants more $ now.

Giving a guy a new deal one year into a five year contract is bad precedent to set. At this point, Howard's 2021 salary is fully guaranteed, and if the team were smart they'd fully guarantee 2022 and fully guarantee 2023 against injury. If that isn't good enough, Tunsil his ass.

And Howard might be using the Revis playbook, but he isn't Revis or anything close to it. The only people who will tell you he is is delusional Miami fanboys.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 2:12 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Just listened to Tua's trainer on a podcast. Apparently he was 60% last year and is in the best shape of his life right now. He never even really worked out like this before he got to Miami, mostly just QB drills. Excited to see what he does this year.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:40 pm 

Supposedly he has more velocity on his throws this year than last year. I really hope so.

PostPosted: Sun July 11, 2021 12:04 am 
Rank This Poster

There's nowhere to go but up on that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 113  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports