The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Lance Armstrong and other well known Liars and Cheaters
PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

Now that Lance Armstrong has decided to speak "candidly" about the fact that his entire career at the top was a fabrication and that even though he "trained really hard" he lied, cheated and bought his way out of trouble time and time again let's hope that this truth streak will extend to other sports.

I don't really care about elections to halls of fame because they are simply museums but I would like to hear the truth without all the bs that we have been fed for so long on PED's.

I really would love for Bonds to come out and say look, I was the best player of my generation, and people were writing stories about Sammy freaking Sosa and Mark Mcgwire and loving on them. I was jealous, I was angry, I knew I would destroy them if I took that stuff, so I did and look at the results.

I want Roger Clemens to come out, say he's sorry for being an absolute jerk, and admit that he was done when he left Boston, but still wanted to play, so he found a guy who could help him with his physical issues, and because he was such a good pitcher anyway the drugs made his abilities much more effective and last longer.

As a sports fan, I just would like to get to the bottom of the drug cheating business more than we are at this point. Rules are never going to catch everyone, the media isn't going to catch everyone, I'm not sure that's even all that important.

All that's at stake for these guys is history now, their numbers are fradulent. Maybe we open a wing of a museum and discuss drugs in sports.

The US definately lauds success over almost anything else, the rampant use of PED's are one example of that.

I guess I'm most disapointed that when anyone is really "superhuman" again, they have robbed us of the ability to believe that it's legitimate.

Post subject: Re: Lance Armstrong and other well known Liars and Cheaters
PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Good post.

Out of all of those, Lance's seems to be the most disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

EJ wrote:
Good post.

Agreed. I was fooled. I wanted to believe he was that good.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Just be patient Electro, they'll all follow the Pete Rose path eventually. Start off with bold denials, then inch your way into admitting small pieces of what you did with tons of rationalization, and then finally come clean with everything when there's no point anymore.

Your comment also reminded me of a funny conversation I had with a relative. Since he's a Vikings fan, I mused that we're going to be on different sides of the MVP & Comeback Player debate. Ever the cynic, he flat out said something like, "Don't worry, they're going to discover that Peterson roided up, that's the only way he was able to come back so quickly."

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 12:34 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

LA had a standing heart rate of 30! His blood is gravy. Anybody who didn't believe this guy was doping was in a serious state of denial.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 12:45 am 
Rank This Poster

i think when floyd landis admitted he doped i gave up hope for lance, but i still wanted to believe for a long time. i dunno how anyone can every take this guy seriously again.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 12:53 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Electromatic wrote:
EJ wrote:
Good post.

well, you could argue that since everyone was roided up, he really was that good. But he seems like a royal jerkoff, so I dont feel sorry for him.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 1:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
EJ wrote:
Good post.

well, you could argue that since everyone was roided up, he really was that good. But he seems like a royal jerkoff, so I dont feel sorry for him.

Lance had the best organization and the best drugs. All things being equal he may have been a top 10 cyclist, but not top 5.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 1:26 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I like how Lance wouldnt confess to the World Anti-Doping Agency but will to Oprah Winfrey.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 1:41 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Green Habit wrote:
Just be patient Electro, they'll all follow the Pete Rose path eventually. Start off with bold denials, then inch your way into admitting small pieces of what you did with tons of rationalization, and then finally come clean with everything when there's no point anymore.

Your comment also reminded me of a funny conversation I had with a relative. Since he's a Vikings fan, I mused that we're going to be on different sides of the MVP & Comeback Player debate. Ever the cynic, he flat out said something like, "Don't worry, they're going to discover that Peterson roided up, that's the only way he was able to come back so quickly."

Funny. I was going to bring up Adrian Peterson. I think many people have that in the back of their minds.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 2:13 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

i would be be shocked if AP roided up.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 3:47 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

http://deadspin.com/5951473/excerpts-fr ... an-asshole

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:18 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Legalize

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

It was probably watching Landis and Contador win in the manor that they did that convinced me that Lance had been cheating as well. I don't doubt that many others especially in cycling were cheating, and I'd love to see the limits of human performance through performance enhancers should there be a league willing to sanction wide open rules and enough humans willing to make themselves into living science experiments but it doesn't make Armstrongs fraud ok.

The lying the fraud and the cover up usually bothers me a lot more than the actual cheating. Professional sports involve so much money and fame there's always going to be a lot of people willing to break the rules. It's very difficult to not be cynical of any major feat at this point and that is sad for people who love sport.

You want to know the playing field is at least balanced enough to compare performance.

Last edited by Electromatic on Tue January 15, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
Legalize

anyone else think they were in the weed thread for a second?

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

I really think there is something too this plasma spinning thing. I also think HGH must be pretty fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Electromatic wrote:
It was probably watching Landis and Contador win in the manor that they did that convinced me that Lance had been cheating as well. I don't doubt that many others especially in cycling were cheating, and I'd love to see the limits of human performance through performance enhancers should there be a league willing to sanction wide open rules and enough humans willing to make themselves into living science experiments but it doesn't make Armstrongs fraud ok.

The lying the fraud and the cover up usually bothers me a lot more than the actual cheating. Professional sports involve so much money and fame there's always going to be a lot of people willing to break the rules. It's very difficult to not be cynical of any major feat at this point and that is sad for people who love sport.

You want to know the playing field is at least balanced enough to compare performance.

Agreed. I think Lance's was the worst because it turns out, he's a real jerk. Not just someone who was doing what everyone else was.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:40 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Electromatic wrote:

I can get on board with this. What bothers me is the moral grandstanding that always surrounds this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

He lied to kids with cancer! He was a false hero to millions. He's a total scumbag.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

turned2black wrote:
He lied to kids with cancer! He was a false hero to millions. He's a total scumbag.

yeah but he also raised a shit load of $ for those kids w/ cancer

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports