The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37513
daft twat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
daft twat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
That was a really intense fight. Also, boxing is a fucking pussy sport and all those announcers were condescending assholes. Mayweather would get murdered in the UFC.


Boxing is a gentlemen's sport. UFC is just animal behavior.

:roll: ok grandpa


Did you just roll your eyes at me, you young cunt?

go to bed you old fart

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 15088
Location: Illinois
MMA isn't a real sport


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37513
tragabigzanda wrote:
Team twat. I am never "impressed" by MMA; just scared and uncomfortable. Really good boxing is impressive to me an another level entirely.

It's a very different set of skills and rules. I was mostly just frustrated by how disruptive and limiting the rules were in this match. UFC rules makes sense to me; they let a fighter's skills shine. Boxing makes it easy to almost semi-cheat your way to victory.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37513
verb_to_trust wrote:
MMA isn't a real sport

It's the only real sport

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 15088
Location: Illinois
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
MMA isn't a real sport

It's the only real sport


False


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2953
The Argonaut wrote:
Thanks, Coach. That thread is kind of a mess now, but I found a good one by digging around in it.


Yeah, I had them all opened up very early on and one lasted until the end of the main event.

I thought it was a very entertaining fight. Much better than the boxing experts claimed it would be. Saw this stat on Twitter:

Punches landed against Mayweather:

Canelo: 117
McGregor: 111
Pacquiao: 81


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2953
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Team twat. I am never "impressed" by MMA; just scared and uncomfortable. Really good boxing is impressive to me an another level entirely.

It's a very different set of skills and rules. I was mostly just frustrated by how disruptive and limiting the rules were in this match. UFC rules makes sense to me; they let a fighter's skills shine. Boxing makes it easy to almost semi-cheat your way to victory.


You should go watch some tapes from the 80s, Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns, Duran.

I think both MMA and Boxing are sports. Both are also entertainment, too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 4106
Coach wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Thanks, Coach. That thread is kind of a mess now, but I found a good one by digging around in it.


Yeah, I had them all opened up very early on and one lasted until the end of the main event.

I thought it was a very entertaining fight. Much better than the boxing experts claimed it would be. Saw this stat on Twitter:

Punches landed against Mayweather:

Canelo: 117
McGregor: 111
Pacquiao: 81



FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.

Jabs landed: 18 of 59 (31%)
Power punches landed: 152 of 261 (58%)
Total punches landed: 170 of 320 (53%)

CONOR MCGREGOR

Jabs landed: 27 of 98 (28%)
Power punches landed: 84 of 332 (25%)
Total punches landed: 111 of 430 (26%)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 6:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 4106
Coach wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Team twat. I am never "impressed" by MMA; just scared and uncomfortable. Really good boxing is impressive to me an another level entirely.

It's a very different set of skills and rules. I was mostly just frustrated by how disruptive and limiting the rules were in this match. UFC rules makes sense to me; they let a fighter's skills shine. Boxing makes it easy to almost semi-cheat your way to victory.


You should go watch some tapes from the 80s, Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns, Duran.

I think both MMA and Boxing are sports. Both are also entertainment, too.



Gatti-Ward Trilogy.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34380
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Image

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6343
Location: Oslo, Norway
That was a decent fight. Think the ref stopped it a little early, but still got a deserved winner.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2953
run2death wrote:
Coach wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Team twat. I am never "impressed" by MMA; just scared and uncomfortable. Really good boxing is impressive to me an another level entirely.

It's a very different set of skills and rules. I was mostly just frustrated by how disruptive and limiting the rules were in this match. UFC rules makes sense to me; they let a fighter's skills shine. Boxing makes it easy to almost semi-cheat your way to victory.


You should go watch some tapes from the 80s, Sugar Ray, Hagler, Hearns, Duran.

I think both MMA and Boxing are sports. Both are also entertainment, too.



Gatti-Ward Trilogy.



Good call on Gatti-Ward.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:20 am
Posts: 2953
run2death wrote:
Coach wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Thanks, Coach. That thread is kind of a mess now, but I found a good one by digging around in it.


Yeah, I had them all opened up very early on and one lasted until the end of the main event.

I thought it was a very entertaining fight. Much better than the boxing experts claimed it would be. Saw this stat on Twitter:

Punches landed against Mayweather:

Canelo: 117
McGregor: 111
Pacquiao: 81



FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.

Jabs landed: 18 of 59 (31%)
Power punches landed: 152 of 261 (58%)
Total punches landed: 170 of 320 (53%)

CONOR MCGREGOR

Jabs landed: 27 of 98 (28%)
Power punches landed: 84 of 332 (25%)
Total punches landed: 111 of 430 (26%)


Still better than what the boxing experts predicted. Some felt the fight should not have been sanctioned, fearing for the safety of McGregor.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 4106
People comparing the Alvarez-Golovkin decision to Pac-Bradley I are idiots.

The Pac decision was about 1,000 times worse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 4106
R.I.P. Jake LaMotta :peace:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6343
Location: Oslo, Norway
Big matchbtoday, Ortiz Vs Wilder. Then Joshua Vs Parker later this month. Great month for heavyweight boxing,


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Mon March 05, 2018 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 852
Location: It's Soma
Aside from pissing hot twice, Ortiz is the fucking man. Both men fought incredibly hard. Also, Wilder's footwork may be a tad goofy — and I don't know what's up with his windmilling hammer fists — but he has a great chin, a ton of heart, and cinder blocks for hands. He just might have what it takes to stop Joshua.

As for later this month; I want Parker to beat Joshua, but I just don't see it happening.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Mon March 05, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 852
Location: It's Soma
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
MMA isn't a real sport

It's the only real sport


You've gotta learn about the sweet science, bruv.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Mon March 05, 2018 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 6343
Location: Oslo, Norway
Hopefully Joshua beats both Parker and Wilder. Better boxer, heart of a lion, big smile, proper career.


Last edited by Anders on Mon March 05, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Mon March 05, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 852
Location: It's Soma
I'll give you Wilder, but Joshua is not a better boxer than Parker; he's just more of a natural athlete, and has a more sophisticated PED cycle.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Imagine having an opinion this bad.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 23, 2018 4:14 am