The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: New England Patriots
PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 4:35 am 
Banned from the Pit

bring on them texans

via massholesports

Post subject: Re: New England Patriots
PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 8:01 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'm not one of those Patriots fans that is going to say that this game is like another bye, or anything like that. However, I do love this match-up for the Patriots, and would even if the Pats hadn't already ran them ragged earlier in the season.

The Pats defense looks to take away what you want to do. The Texans will want to slow the game down (remember how they got killed in the first half on MNF), which means that they'll probably attempt to dominate the ground game. The Pats play the run well.

Defensively, yes JJ Watt is an absolute beast. Still, he had very little effect the first time they met. The Pats dealt with him pretty easily. I don't think they win by 28 again, but I think it's a comfortable 10 or so. I see another Brady-Manning game on the horizon.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

GrimmaceXX? Is that you?

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
GrimmaceXX? Is that you?
Unless he changed ISPs in the past year, then no.

On an another somewhat Patriots related note, this is Arian Foster's avatar on Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 10:24 pm 
Polluted

:|

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 2:57 am 
Future Drummer

Wilfork destroyed them last game.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
GrimmaceXX? Is that you?
Unless he changed ISPs in the past year, then no.

On an another somewhat Patriots related note, this is Arian Foster's avatar on Twitter:

It's pretty much true.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 2:46 am 
Mind Your Tanners

what a difference cornerbacks make.

i hope dennard & talib are healthy, b/c i'd say their play was the difference the first time around.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 3:36 pm 
Banned from the Pit

And don't forget Ninkovich as well Ellis. When he's healthy he makes plays rushing the passer. He's really the unsung hero on defense over the last few years. I'm assuming that he's going to play because he spoke to the media yesterday, and although he wouldn't talk about his hip, the Patriots typically don't allow players to speak to the press that have not been participants in practice for the week.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 9:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

the patriots had a lot of things go right against houston and their d benefitted from the big lead. but if houston doesn't beat themselves on offense, they can score no problem. indy's dbacks last week looked like ours usually do in tight games. backs turned to the ball getting pi against them. tom brady doesn't play too well down 14 in playoff games. if houston gets that lead, our defense will struggle with the run and play action. lets hope our offense gets us a good lead.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 10:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Injuries are part of the game, but with so many Pats injured it's difficult to judge this one and the potential Brady-Manning match-up.

Some of the team's best players (Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Ninkovich) are super hurt and have been playing through pain.

It's fairly well documented that Hernandez lost a step after the ankle injury, and that Welker is walking around like an old man in between snaps.

Gronk playing with one arm is not encouraging, either.

No excuses at the end of the day, but the Pats injuries are a factor.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

espn had a good comparison of blitz-heavy teams losing in the regular season to the pats and then beating them by dropping 7 in the playoffs.

i'd expect the same from Houston, unless Wade is more stubborn than Rex (which seems crazy as i type it, but we'll see).

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:42 pm 
Polluted

I'm hoping they're better equipped/more willing to run the ball this year, Ellis. Leaning towards more willing.

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 11:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I like Houston. And I'd love to see them advance, only because it's a good story and a team that we haven't ever seen go deep into the playoffs/to the Super Bowl.

But I think New England is gonna roll 'em.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 12:21 am 
Mind Your Tanners

elliseamos wrote:
espn had a good comparison of blitz-heavy teams losing in the regular season to the pats and then beating them by dropping 7 in the playoffs.

i'd expect the same from Houston, unless Wade is more stubborn than Rex (which seems crazy as i type it, but we'll see).

i read that piece, too. scary.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Self wrote:
I'm hoping they're better equipped/more willing to run the ball this year, Ellis. Leaning towards more willing.

so a big day from Woodhead? or more passes/screens to Ridley?

if Houston can get pressure from 4 rushers, which (1) can happen if Brady and the o-line aren't able to correctly identify which linebacker is coming in addition to Watt, Smith, and Cody on any particular down and (2) was something the Texans were able to do in the first game which lead to 4 consecutive drives ending in punts to end the 1st half and start the 2nd (not to mention, the Pats actually had more 3 and outs than the Texans in that game).

the Pats have to take what Houston gives and run when they're defending against the pass and pass when Houston plays the run. usually they can do this b/c they have so many options in a 2WR/2TE/1RB set with Ridley as the back, but he not only has to take care of the ball running (which he did for most of the year, but clearly had an issue w/ against SF) but he also will have to make catches out of the backfield if for no other reason than to demonstrate himself as a threat and someone that demands coverage (opening up Gronkowski or Hernandez who are usually in the same or adjacent zones). with Woodhead as the single back, there's the perception that they'll be passing, but i'm pretty sure that's why he's such an effective runner (b/c it's not what the D is expecting).

one advantage that Houston may have is that they typically play out of their base-d so much more than most teams (as oppose to subbing a lot of players in and out) so they'll likely be able to mitigate some of the misdirection that the Pats O uses to beat most opponents. however, that could catch up with them should the Pats go up-tempo/no-huddle.

long story short, the chess game i'm rambling about is what makes football so great and i'm very excited to see how this game plays out.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 10:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Despite Houston looking much better than they have in weeks against Cincinnati I expect them to lose. Would love to be surprised though.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:57 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

One of my students passed away recently (he had been sick for quite a while) and at the wake tonight, there was a huge, huge arrangement sent by Vince Wilfork and Devin McCourty, who had met him while he was in the hospital. Class acts.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 1:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Been up since 6:30 a.m. today. Big game. Cherish these times. The Brady Window is closing fast.

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
A Return To Form

When the Pats have a good pass rush they are unbeatable.

Baltimore will beat them if they don't pressure Flacco.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1726 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports