The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 290  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official WWE/Pro Wrestling thread
PostPosted: Tue July 25, 2017 9:54 am 
The Beef

There's 3 WWE matches that I fairly regularly go back to, or show non-wrestling fans to try and at least get them to see the talent/dedication involved.

Taker/HBK, WM25
Hart/Austin, WM13
Taker/Mankind, KOTR 1998

PostPosted: Tue July 25, 2017 3:36 pm 
AnalLog

Almost anything Shane McMahon from 1999-2002 or so is always good for a rewatch, especially if you haven't seen it in a while...those can be more "spotfests" than anything else, but goddamn if Shane isn't entertaining as fuck to watch from that period

I got turned onto the Canadian Stampede PPV from 97 because of Prichard's podcast, and that was fucking awesome

Also, I go back and watch Foley's first title win from Raw ("that'll put butts in seats") at least once a year...I was at the Centrum in Worcester that night and as great as the pop for Austin when he comes out comes across on TV, TV still doesn't do it justice...that was legitimately one of the 2 or 3 loudest pops I've ever heard for anything, not just wrestling

PostPosted: Tue July 25, 2017 4:02 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The 2011 Money In The Bank PPV was one of those rare occurences when WWE was just perfect. Great buildup, great matches, some feeling of real drama, and what a main event!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkn0g4_wwe-money-in-the-bank-2011-cm-punk-vs-john-cena_sport

PostPosted: Tue July 25, 2017 7:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
Almost anything Shane McMahon from 1999-2002 or so is always good for a rewatch, especially if you haven't seen it in a while...those can be more "spotfests" than anything else, but goddamn if Shane isn't entertaining as fuck to watch from that period

I got turned onto the Canadian Stampede PPV from 97 because of Prichard's podcast, and that was fucking awesome

Also, I go back and watch Foley's first title win from Raw ("that'll put butts in seats") at least once a year...I was at the Centrum in Worcester that night and as great as the pop for Austin when he comes out comes across on TV, TV still doesn't do it justice...that was legitimately one of the 2 or 3 loudest pops I've ever heard for anything, not just wrestling

I was also at that Centrum show and it was far and away the loudest pop I've ever heard at an event I attended. That was EPIC. I can tell you more about what happened on that show than I can the episode of Raw I watched last night.

PostPosted: Tue July 25, 2017 9:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Anders wrote:
To avoid just being negative. Do any of you have memories of great matches that you would like to share?

i was at wrestlemania 7 (i was 12 at the time) and i'll always remember the warrior/savage match, the elizabeth drama and reunion. whenever i see clips of that i'm instantly transported back to my memories of being in the building. conversely, i also attended mania 22 and the biggest memory i have of that show was mickie james feeling up trish and licking her fingers. i just had to look up the card to see what else was on it. so, yeah, one event was far more impactful than the other.

i've always enjoyed watching the taker/flair match at x8(?). i get giddy waiting for that arn spinebuster spot.

perfect/hart at summerslam 91 was the first match i can remember watching where i was invested in both guys (perfect was a minnesotan, and i couldn't hate him) and really torn on my feelings as the match went on. they did such a great job there and i like to make a point to watch that match every once in awhile.

i'll try and think of others.

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 3:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

As far as things I've seen live, the Mankind title win is the only memorable thing I've seen, the only other event I attended was an awful go-home show for Survivor Series in 2001.

Hart/Austin is my favorite match of all time, just about as perfect as a match can be. There's a tag team match from a Raw in 2001 that was Benoit & Jericho vs Austin & HHH, I absolutely love it and think it's the best tag team match in WWE history that didn't involve a ladder.

The Michaels-Taker Mania matches are great, but the HIAC match from 97 is just a bit better in my book. Punk-Cena MITB is obvious, but I love the Punk-Taker WrestleMania match. Flair-Michaels from Mania isn't a great match technically, but it's storytelling at it's finest.

I always really loved the Mankind-Taker HIAC match, but in recent years it's become kind of cringe-inducing for me to watch as we see current day Mick Foley barely able to walk.

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 3:16 am 
Rank This Poster

The kanellis theme music always gets stuck in my head for hours after smack down ends

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 5:40 am 
AnalLog

The best thing I ever saw was an August 1999 Raw at the Garden in Boston....Mankind and Rock won the tag titles and after the show went off the air, they riffed on each other and every other subject imaginable on the mics for a good 20 minutes...when the WWE put out that "After the Show" DVD or whatever it was called a few years ago I was hoping it would be on there but it wasn't

The dark match that same night was the Dudleys' WWE debut, literally like 10 people knew who they were at that point

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 11:46 am 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
The best thing I ever saw was an August 1999 Raw at the Garden in Boston....Mankind and Rock won the tag titles and after the show went off the air, they riffed on each other and every other subject imaginable on the mics for a good 20 minutes...when the WWE put out that "After the Show" DVD or whatever it was called a few years ago I was hoping it would be on there but it wasn't

The dark match that same night was the Dudleys' WWE debut, literally like 10 people knew who they were at that point

That other Raw I went to had a dark match featuring Brock before he had been on TV. I distinctly remember when he came out on the ramp my friend and I being like "holy shit who the fuck is THAT guy?"

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 1:02 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The one match I could watch forever is the 1992 Royal Rumble.

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 7:56 pm 
Future Drummer

numbers wrote:
There's a tag team match from a Raw in 2001 that was Benoit & Jericho vs Austin & HHH, I absolutely love it and think it's the best tag team match in WWE history that didn't involve a ladder.

I love the Punk-Taker WrestleMania match.

agreed

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 8:03 pm 
Future Drummer

numbers wrote:
That other Raw I went to had a dark match featuring Brock before he had been on TV. I distinctly remember when he came out on the ramp my friend and I being like "holy shit who the fuck is THAT guy?"

he and shelton came up here for a house show as hometown favorites in late 2001 and that was my introduction to his shooting star press. a shame his mania one was botched because it would have been cool to see every now and again.

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 11:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

AndySlash wrote:
numbers wrote:

he and shelton came up here for a house show as hometown favorites in late 2001 and that was my introduction to his shooting star press. a shame his mania one was botched because it would have been cool to see every now and again.

I've always thought that if he had hit that spot that would have made that match an all-time classic.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 11:25 am 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
There's a tag team match from a Raw in 2001 that was Benoit & Jericho vs Austin & HHH, I absolutely love it and think it's the best tag team match in WWE history that didn't involve a ladder.

Is that the match where HHH tears his quad near the end?

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 12:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:

Yes, and then lets Jericho put him in the walls afterwards!

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
Future Drummer

on the announce desk!

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 10:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

How about best matches in the 2010s?

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 3:09 am 
Future Drummer

nxt is here saturday night and cheap tix are 25 bucks. anyone been to an nxt event and can give any thoughts on their experience?

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 4:31 am 
slower than 82% of US

AndySlash wrote:
nxt is here saturday night and cheap tix are 25 bucks. anyone been to an nxt event and can give any thoughts on their experience?

i went to the takeover before the most recent survivor series. it was pretty awesome, but a lot of the big matches involve wrestlers that are now on the main roster

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 4:32 am 
slower than 82% of US

numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:

Yes, and then lets Jericho put him in the walls afterwards!

that crowd is so hot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 290  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports