Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: The Biking Thread

Mon August 10, 2020 1:12 am

My 12-year-old graduated to a 29” wheel. So nice. Image

Wed August 19, 2020 5:54 pm

73 on Sunday
30+ yesterday

Mon September 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Bike idiot question: I have a basic Trek hybrid that I use for commuting and tooling around town. Can I slap mountain bike tires on it or is the frame not made for that? There's a huge trail system between my home and office and it would be cool to commute through it rather than around it.

Mon September 14, 2020 6:13 pm

ghost wrote:Bike idiot question: I have a basic Trek hybrid that I use for commuting and tooling around town. Can I slap mountain bike tires on it or is the frame not made for that? There's a huge trail system between my home and office and it would be cool to commute through it rather than around it.

Well you need to fit the right size tire but you can always shop around for a more aggressive tread for sure. It's not gonna hurt the bike to get out there. Bike nerds might disagree with me.

Mon September 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Something about the shocks?

Mon September 14, 2020 8:25 pm

ghost wrote:Bike idiot question: I have a basic Trek hybrid that I use for commuting and tooling around town. Can I slap mountain bike tires on it or is the frame not made for that? There's a huge trail system between my home and office and it would be cool to commute through it rather than around it.

most mountain bike tire widths are about 2.4 inches. so you just have be certain there there is enough clearance to accommodate that width (especially if you have caliper brakes).

Mon September 14, 2020 8:38 pm

The Argonaut wrote:Something about the shocks?

my hybrid has back shocks. a hardtail is pretty adequate for anything unless you are doing extreme downhill.

Mon September 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:

most mountain bike tire widths are about 2.4 inches. so you just have be certain there there is enough clearance to accommodate that width (especially if you have caliper brakes).

There are options in the 2 inch range that should fit most bikes.

And like Dev said, unless you plan on going crazy, the hybrid will be fine.

Mon September 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks all, that's super helpful.

Sat September 26, 2020 5:23 pm

I biked 53km on thursday

Sun September 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Got my 30km in this morning. Time for football and undoing any good I just did.

Sun September 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Did about 50 again yesterday. 40 on the watch.

Sun September 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Sun November 29, 2020 12:35 am

Anyone still out there biking? I did 164km this week.

Mon February 22, 2021 7:25 pm

I would very much like to do a bicycling trip late this summer. 400 miles round trip in ten days, camping along the way. I don't have a bike right now, so I can shop for one with a trip like this in mind. What should I be looking for?

Mon February 22, 2021 10:53 pm

The Argonaut wrote:I would very much like to do a bicycling trip late this summer. 400 miles round trip in ten days, camping along the way. I don't have a bike right now, so I can shop for one with a trip like this in mind. What should I be looking for?

a better paying job

Mon February 22, 2021 11:10 pm

:haha:

Sun March 07, 2021 6:51 pm

64kms yesterday. First trip of the year. Conditions were much better than in December except for gathering firewood. Deep wet snow. Fack.

Tue April 06, 2021 3:21 am

It’s been so dry this spring I can finally hit the single track without rutting it up. So looking forward to it.

Tue April 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:It’s been so dry this spring I can finally hit the single track without rutting it up. So looking forward to it.

You're a better human being than I. I ride trails rain or shine, snow included.
Post a reply