The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
bune wrote:
run2death wrote:
This is my bike. A $59 Thruster from Walmart. Flip hub. I love it. Stripped it bare except for the back brake. Bought better tires ($12) and cage pedals for proper rides ($29).

I had a $900 hybrid Giant, but ended up hating it.

It's all steel, but just a pound and a half heavier than the Giant. I may end up getting an aluminum fork.

Turns out this bike is beloved by fixie hipsters and bike techs alike.

Spoiler: show
Image
Oh man, you got the McD bike. I was looking for one too but then I realized my knees hate me enough as-is, I don't need to make anything worse.

And the brake thing is debatable. You could stop on a dime with a front brake, but you could also end up going over the dime.


I'm not a huge fan of the red and orange. I've thought about getting new wheels, but I want to keep things as cheap as possible.

I may just paint them.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
Sorry! Bottom-paged you.

bune wrote:
Bought my son a new bike this weekend. He was specific about the bike: he wanted a Lemond and didn't want yellow.

Not the bike, just a picture of what it looks like:

Image

His first 700c bike. Only had one owner and it's in great shape mostly. Just needs a tune-up and it's good to go. Looking at it I'd almost swear it's even got the original chain but who knows.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46578
Location: Sector 7-G
I'm thinking about replacing my front brake with a disc brake since that's the one I use 99% of the time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
run2death wrote:
bune wrote:
run2death wrote:
This is my bike. A $59 Thruster from Walmart. Flip hub. I love it. Stripped it bare except for the back brake. Bought better tires ($12) and cage pedals for proper rides ($29).

I had a $900 hybrid Giant, but ended up hating it.

It's all steel, but just a pound and a half heavier than the Giant. I may end up getting an aluminum fork.

Turns out this bike is beloved by fixie hipsters and bike techs alike.

Spoiler: show
Image
Oh man, you got the McD bike. I was looking for one too but then I realized my knees hate me enough as-is, I don't need to make anything worse.

And the brake thing is debatable. You could stop on a dime with a front brake, but you could also end up going over the dime.


I'm not a huge fan of the red and orange. I've thought about getting new wheels, but I want to keep things as cheap as possible.

I may just paint them.

It's better than the green and blue they were offering for a bit.
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm thinking about replacing my front brake with a disc brake since that's the one I use 99% of the time.

Go hydraulic if you can. PITA to maintain yourself but great stopping.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8179
Location: An office full of assholes
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm thinking about replacing my front brake with a disc brake since that's the one I use 99% of the time.

why not replace both? won't it be weird to have disc in the front and calipers in the back?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46578
Location: Sector 7-G
Chris_H_2 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm thinking about replacing my front brake with a disc brake since that's the one I use 99% of the time.

why not replace both? won't it be weird to have disc in the front and calipers in the back?

Because I don't use the back so why spend the money?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
Chris_H_2 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm thinking about replacing my front brake with a disc brake since that's the one I use 99% of the time.

why not replace both? won't it be weird to have disc in the front and calipers in the back?

Not really. Also putting a disc brake on a fork (an interchangeable part of a bike) is way easier than putting one on the rear - You just buy a new fork - where rear mounts are built into frames. They don't have to be, but that's not recommended.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8179
Location: An office full of assholes
As a mountain biker, it's really foreign to me to only use the front brake.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
As a road biker, ditto.

Also: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik ... 98143.html

I'm looking for a new road bike and saw this one today; It's disc in front and canti in the back.

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Last edited by bune on Mon August 07, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Polluted
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:27 am
Posts: 6961
Location: PM me, I have everything.
Chris_H_2 wrote:
As a mountain biker, it's really foreign to me to only use the front brake.

You wouldn't have many teeth left if you only used the front.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 11248
Location: in the wind
Using only the front brake would scare the piss out of me.

_________________
Citizens for Boysenberry Jam


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46578
Location: Sector 7-G
The Argonaut wrote:
Using only the front brake would scare the piss out of me.

Try it. Once you get the hang of it it's the best.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Wed August 09, 2017 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5921
Location: Space City
I'm going to get a haircut and then BCycle all over town tomorrow.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
30-miler yesterday. Felt OK. The bottom of my feet were beat up from my morning run, so I did more pulling up than I normally would. My Garmin refused to work. I didn't realize I had to calibrate it for cycling. I didn't have to do that for running.

My ass hurts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8179
Location: An office full of assholes
i took a pretty nasty fall on saturday. i was bombing down a fairly narrow singletrack, and unfortunately a curve with tall grass concealed a log that was right alongside the track. my right pedal clipped it and sent me flying. fortunately i only got a couple of bumps and nicks, and it could've been worse. i do think i bent my derailleur hanger though, because my shifting is pretty sketchy now. a replacement is $40. i'm thinking of just buying a realignment tool for $70 and bending it back myself. this could end very, very badly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
run2death wrote:
30-miler yesterday. Felt OK. The bottom of my feet were beat up from my morning run, so I did more pulling up than I normally would. My Garmin refused to work. I didn't realize I had to calibrate it for cycling. I didn't have to do that for running.

My ass hurts.

A)



B) I can't help you with the Garmin. rtfm? :P

C)

Image

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 1328
a) Yes, I've heard all about 360-degree pedaling. It just feels so unnatural if you don't cycle a lot.
b) I'll figure it out. I may just use my cell phone and Strava next time.
c) I was wearing my cycling shorts. Maybe I just need a better pair.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
It really does. I try to not push the pedals when I ride but sometimes focus isn't where it needs to be.

I just have a garmin for my bike. I tried using it once on a run but it was way annoying.

I figured, just wanted to give you some crap. Hell, I rode a short 9-10 miles on Sunday on my race bike instead of my commuting bike and my ass hurt.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
i took a pretty nasty fall on saturday. i was bombing down a fairly narrow singletrack, and unfortunately a curve with tall grass concealed a log that was right alongside the track. my right pedal clipped it and sent me flying. fortunately i only got a couple of bumps and nicks, and it could've been worse. i do think i bent my derailleur hanger though, because my shifting is pretty sketchy now. a replacement is $40. i'm thinking of just buying a realignment tool for $70 and bending it back myself. this could end very, very badly.


what kind of frame do you have? steel or aluminium?

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8179
Location: An office full of assholes
bune wrote:
It really does. I try to not push the pedals when I ride but sometimes focus isn't where it needs to be.

I just have a garmin for my bike. I tried using it once on a run but it was way annoying.

I figured, just wanted to give you some crap. Hell, I rode a short 9-10 miles on Sunday on my race bike instead of my commuting bike and my ass hurt.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
i took a pretty nasty fall on saturday. i was bombing down a fairly narrow singletrack, and unfortunately a curve with tall grass concealed a log that was right alongside the track. my right pedal clipped it and sent me flying. fortunately i only got a couple of bumps and nicks, and it could've been worse. i do think i bent my derailleur hanger though, because my shifting is pretty sketchy now. a replacement is $40. i'm thinking of just buying a realignment tool for $70 and bending it back myself. this could end very, very badly.


what kind of frame do you have? steel or aluminium?

it's aluminum (kona race light 6061 aluminum custom to be exact)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3036
Location: Washington State
OK, second question: is the hanger attached or part of the frame?

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri November 17, 2017 11:08 pm