The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 7:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:
75.60 km on the bike today not including what was probably about a km rip home after eating at the end.

That's a pretty good ride. I max out at about 90km and can still call my bike my friend. What did it take you, 3-1/2 hrs?

haha more like 6 but I never stop the watch except for a fire/lunch in the middle this time. We had two flat tires and me running back into my house to grab shit and blah blah blah. Average moving speed was 19.7km per hour.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 7:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Dev wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:
75.60 km on the bike today not including what was probably about a km rip home after eating at the end.

That's a pretty good ride. I max out at about 90km and can still call my bike my friend. What did it take you, 3-1/2 hrs?

haha more like 6 but I never stop the watch except for a fire/lunch in the middle this time. We had two flat tires and me running back into my house to grab shit and blah blah blah. Average moving speed was 19.7km per hour.

That's a respectable average speed. As long as you're having fun, any time is a good time.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 7:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:

That's a respectable average speed. As long as you're having fun, any time is a good time.

I rode my bike once all year last year, so I'm just happy to be putting up 70 km rides already. I have no idea what other people do. To me these are really more adventures than anything else. I'm gonna start packing my fishing gear. Also I am riding with firewood on my rack among other things which I guess slows you down a little. What are your rides like?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 7:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Holy shit, all that and firewood? You should check out a Yak instead of a panniers. Or in addition to, depending.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 7:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
Holy shit, all that and firewood? You should check out a Yak instead of a panniers. Or in addition to, depending.

there's some guy in brooklyn that bikes to the east river pulling a boat that unfolds that he uses to paddle across to manhattan every day for work and back. it's pretty crazy.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 9:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bune wrote:

That looks pretty sick but I think it would create too much drag. I can make it all work with the right Pannier setup.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 9:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chris_H_2 wrote:
bune wrote:

there's some guy in brooklyn that bikes to the east river pulling a boat that unfolds that he uses to paddle across to manhattan every day for work and back. it's pretty crazy.

What kind of boat?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 9:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Dev wrote:
bune wrote:

That looks pretty sick but I think it would create too much drag. I can make it all work with the right Pannier setup.

Nah it's not that bad. Way better than the trailers for kids that have two wheels, those are drag magnets.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 10:25 pm 
Future Drummer

Dev wrote:
What are your rides like?
Mostly my work commute, 23km a day. Everyday, regardless of weather. But not adverse to getting out for three or four hours on a weekend morning, either on the roads or in the woods.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2019 2:05 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:
What are your rides like?
Mostly my work commute, 23km a day. Everyday, regardless of weather. But not adverse to getting out for three or four hours on a weekend morning, either on the roads or in the woods.

You do any mountain biking out there?

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2019 4:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Nice little rip in the sun. 26km

Hilariously met a guy pulling one of these:

He told me he was headed to San Jose but he didn't know the way.

I think we were both on the same wavelength and it was a nice exchange.

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2019 3:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bought a used one of those this weekend. I am going to have to overhaul the hub on the wheel and probably regrease the pivot just to make sure it's working well but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. Doesn't have a mud guard but that's easy enough to fix.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2019 3:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

69.2 km in 4:00:55 with the clock stopped for lunch. Also didn't have the watch running for about 5 km.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I got a distance record doing over 100km yestersday

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

:thumbsup:

Man I really need to get back on my bike. I've been taking it easy because of the clot in my leg but I suppose it's small enough now it won't kill me outright if I dislodge it while riding...right?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

bune wrote:
:thumbsup:

Man I really need to get back on my bike. I've been taking it easy because of the clot in my leg but I suppose it's small enough now it won't kill me outright if I dislodge it while riding...right?

rest is rarely ever an answer. most injuries are best remediated with more training. go get it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:47 am 
Mind Your Tanners

yeah, but a blood clot isn't really an injury per se.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

im no doctor but getting oxygen to my blood through cardio and stressing the system to tax a bloodclot and break it up sounds like a great solution to me.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 3:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I was about to ride some of the trails around my new house when I discovered a weird problem with my shifters that I couldn't solve. Took it to the shop and it turned out to be seized bolt, and since this derailleur is obsolete, it took a little while to source a new one. Now it's ready to go and I can't wait to explore some new areas on the map.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 7:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Little things like that are so annoying. I needed to replace the front derailleur on a bike and so I bought one used. Turns out I didn't research this at all because the derailleur was too tall and didn't work unless I took the bottle cage off, and even then the proper height was right on one of the screws. Apparently there are low profile derailleurs?

So this is a long way of saying that I somehow lost the chain that goes onto that bike and we won't be taking it with us when we go camping this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports