The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Biking Thread
PostPosted: Wed June 02, 2021 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Presta valves are indeed one of History's Greatest Monsters.

PostPosted: Mon September 06, 2021 5:16 am 
mXn

I went on not-the-longest ride today but it’s very hilly around here and I feel good about it.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 2:07 pm 
AnalLog

Any fatbikers here? Thinking about picking up a Mongoose Malus to mess around with this winter. I know they're beasts (~45 lbs), but the price is right for what I would be using it for. There's a mtb trail system between my house and my work, with about a mile of pavement on either side. Goal would be to ride the trails a couple times a week and commute through the park at least once a week.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 2:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ghost wrote:
Any fatbikers here? Thinking about picking up a Mongoose Malus to mess around with this winter. I know they're beasts (~45 lbs), but the price is right for what I would be using it for. There's a mtb trail system between my house and my work, with about a mile of pavement on either side. Goal would be to ride the trails a couple times a week and commute through the park at least once a week.

the only thing I ask is, for the love of God, stay off the wet trails with those things. they ruin the trails so much.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 2:23 pm 
AnalLog

Chris_H_2 wrote:
ghost wrote:

the only thing I ask is, for the love of God, stay off the wet trails with those things. they ruin the trails so much.

:thumbsup:

We have a very active trail community here. You can't press a trail shoe into a damp singletrack without someone taking a picture and lecturing the community-at-large in the FB group. And god help you if you dare walk across a groomed ski trail.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 3:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ghost wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
ghost wrote:

:thumbsup:

We have a very active trail community here. You can't press a trail shoe into a damp singletrack without someone taking a picture and lecturing the community-at-large in the FB group. And god help you if you dare walk across a groomed ski trail.

that's awesome. i wish we had more of that around here. despite signs galore, a-holes still have either no self awareness or give-a-shitters to avoid rutting up the trails when it's wet. it's so frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon November 22, 2021 3:06 pm 
AnalLog

The fatty is so much fun. The trails are too soft to ride right now, so I took it out for 13 miles on the road on Saturday. Rolled right through downtown like a fucking tank.

PostPosted: Mon November 22, 2021 5:24 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ghost wrote:
The fatty is so much fun. The trails are too soft to ride right now, so I took it out for 13 miles on the road on Saturday. Rolled right through downtown like a fucking tank.

That’s awesome.

I immediately thought of this when I read your post:

PostPosted: Mon December 13, 2021 9:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Going to dust the old schwinn off as part of half marathon cross training starting this weekend.

Let's all admire this well worn beauty for a second.

PostPosted: Sat December 18, 2021 5:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Killer wheels, Reido.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 9:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed February 09, 2022 1:10 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Using a ride for some cross training tomorrow. Working on 20 running miles for the week and so this cycling session comes after two days of running and a day before a 5 mile run. I plan to go out for around an hour.

My question to the cyclists is what kind of effort should I be aiming for here? I don't want to overdo it but I want a good workout as part of active recovery.

PostPosted: Wed February 09, 2022 3:36 pm 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
Using a ride for some cross training tomorrow. Working on 20 running miles for the week and so this cycling session comes after two days of running and a day before a 5 mile run. I plan to go out for around an hour.

My question to the cyclists is what kind of effort should I be aiming for here? I don't want to overdo it but I want a good workout as part of active recovery.

70% to start and work your way to 80-85%, maybe even 90% depending on your cardio.

PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 10:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Signed up for a 20 mile ride in a little over a week. Haven't been riding much but I feel I'm fit enough with running to make this an excuse for a fun morning ride. My brother is doing the 40 mile version so the plan is to ride together til my turnaround, visit at the rest station for a second, then I'll wait for him at the finish line while snagging a bunch of race freebies.

I did this ride in 2019 and I'm happy to see that it's a completely different route this time around. They're building a land bridge in Memorial Park so I'm hoping the Memorial Drive segment gives us a sneak peak riding thru the road tunnels being constructed. Always fun to see the city from a bike.

https://www.houstontx.gov/tourdehouston/

PostPosted: Wed March 23, 2022 11:04 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Looks good, Reid. I had a nice time riding the bike share bike along the Buffalo Bayou when I visited Houston a few years ago

PostPosted: Thu March 24, 2022 12:27 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Yeah, I love that bayou. Good mix of running and riding paths. Plenty of chances to see bayou wildlife, lots of great views of downtown.

For the majority of my time here I lived an easy mile ride from where you're talking about. Now I live near a different bayou that's also lined with bike and run paths, but not nearly as busy or as feature-filled as Buffalo Bayou.

I could go on and on about the bayous and their place in Houston's history and economy, but I won't. I'm just so happy that investing in them over the last decade has been a priority and a success.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2022 9:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I managed that 20 mile ride event last Sunday and had a lot of fun. The first ten miles were with my brother, who signed up for the 40 mile version of the ride. We parted ways at my halfway station and "raced" to our respective next stops. I got to the finish line four minutes before he got to his turnaround and sent him a text that he replied to at his halfway turnaround. Looks like we both took it easy together and booked it when we separated.

I was having a lot of fun riding solo, drafting behind a couple with some fancy bike shop kits on, then picking off riders one by one on the last couple of miles. I wasn't keeping time until I looked at my watch 30 seconds before the finish line and realized too late that I was on pace for under 90 minutes. I did it in 1:30:05.

Next year I'll sign up for the 40 miler. This was a great side quest from my usual running goals.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

unbump

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:54 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

did 28 kms the other day. i did like 50 about a month ago but then it snowed again...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

42 last sunday and 61 yesterday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports