Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: The Beautiful Game (The All Inclusive Soccer Thread)

Thu July 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Which teams do you guys support?

Thu July 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Clubs
Ipswich Town F.C. and Celtic

Also, Phoenix Rising F.C. if/when they join MLS

National
U.S. and England :?

Thu July 20, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't support anyone except USMNT. I go to Chicago Fire games sometimes but it's hard to be invested in MLS as a supporter. I usually end up following teams where our stand out players are though. I watched a lot of Fulham and Spurs matches when Dempsey was in England and also find myself turning on BVB matches to follow Pulisic. You grow attached to the team somewhat but when the player moves on you stop following in my case.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Arsenal because I guess I'm a masochist.

US National team because of the same reason.

Teams I hate:

Any team Mourinho is currently managing because he's a smug, worthless, bastard of a human.

Barcelona and Real Madrid are tough to enjoy and easy to hate.

Any team Tony Pulis is managing. The guy wants teams to play the ugliest, most conservative soccer possible.

And of course I hate Tottenham and Chelsea because why not.

Thu July 20, 2017 3:41 pm

jwfocker wrote:Any team Tony Pulis is managing. The guy wants teams to play the ugliest, most conservative soccer possible.

This is why I hate the Italian national team. So fucking ugly.

Thu July 20, 2017 4:39 pm

run2death wrote:
jwfocker wrote:Any team Tony Pulis is managing. The guy wants teams to play the ugliest, most conservative soccer possible.

This is why I hate the Italian national team. So fucking ugly.

Yep. It is ugly but I find some strange appreciation for the Italian's total focus on defense. The structure and organisation without the ball can be special at times. Watching it for 90 minutes though can be brutal.

Thu July 20, 2017 6:03 pm

There's some big soccer game in Houston today. Fans from around the globe, it seems. For the most part they've been fun and friendly. Hope the right team wins.

Fri July 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Club: Aston Villa, Portsmouth, locally Newcastle Jets.

Australia and England

Sun July 23, 2017 2:35 am

Anyone else watching?

Sun July 23, 2017 5:17 am

I'm going to miss Dempsey when he's done. What a pro.

Tue July 25, 2017 12:32 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:I'm going to miss Dempsey when he's done. What a pro.

Yeah man, perfect way to describe him. Too bad we didn't have another couple players on the team that could play at his level. Pulisic and him together on the national team in their prime years would have been special.

Tue July 25, 2017 1:56 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:I'm going to miss Dempsey when he's done. What a pro.

I think over his career he's been the best overall (non Goalkeeper) US National team player and likely he's the best we've ever had.

Thu July 27, 2017 1:19 pm

No one watched last night?

Thu July 27, 2017 1:56 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:No one watched last night?

I forgot.

Thu July 27, 2017 1:56 pm

I did. Unremarkable game. The tournament was a failure to me because none of the fringe players stepped up. Morris scored a few goal but was just sort of there otherwise. Basically, it was just one month of Jorge Villafana and Paul Arriola slamming crosses off defenders.

Thu July 27, 2017 2:25 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:I did. Unremarkable game. The tournament was a failure to me because none of the fringe players stepped up. Morris scored a few goal but was just sort of there otherwise. Basically, it was just one month of Jorge Villafana and Paul Arriola slamming crosses off defenders.

^^^^ this.

Thu July 27, 2017 5:51 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:I did. Unremarkable game. The tournament was a failure to me because none of the fringe players stepped up. Morris scored a few goal but was just sort of there otherwise. Basically, it was just one month of Jorge Villafana and Paul Arriola slamming crosses off defenders.

Isn't that kind of the huge glaring problem with US Soccer? They won the Gold Cup and that's nice right, but they'll take it to mean the move back to Bruce Arena was a great idea and that everything is going well for World Cup Qualifying.

US Soccer is still this big self congratulatory circle where they never really improve.

Thu July 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Electromatic wrote:

Isn't that kind of the huge glaring problem with US Soccer? They won the Gold Cup and that's nice right, but they'll take it to mean the move back to Bruce Arena was a great idea and that everything is going well for World Cup Qualifying.

US Soccer is still this big self congratulatory circle where they never really improve.

Yep. Stuck in a spiral of mediocrity.

Thu July 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I see it slightly different. They were missing Pulisic, Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin and Wood. All of those guys are probably in the best 11. The older guys that were MLS based and called in don't seem the have younger MLS based talent pushing them for their spots. Acosta for example looked god awful.

There are some intriguing young prospects in Europe like Weston Mckinnie, who is going to make Schalkes first team and plays in midfield.

As far as Bruce, who they appoint after Russia will be of way more concern than what arena is going to do with this group for the next 18 months. If they hire Bob Bradley back instead of a guy with fresh ideas then I'll be pissed.

Thu July 27, 2017 6:36 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:I see it slightly different. They were missing Pulisic, Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin and Wood. All of those guys are probably in the best 11. The older guys that were MLS based and called in don't seem the have younger MLS based talent pushing them for their spots. Acosta for example looked god awful.

There are some intriguing young prospects in Europe like Weston Mckinnie, who is going to make Schalkes first team and plays in midfield.

As far as Bruce, who they appoint after Russia will be of way more concern than what arena is going to do with this group for the next 18 months. If they hire Bob Bradley back instead of a guy with fresh ideas then I'll be pissed.

Bob Bradley. Fucking hell. He crushed it in the premier league.
Post a reply