The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beautiful Game (The All Inclusive Soccer Thread)
PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 4:42 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
No real positives to take from that performance.

I think the US needs to build the team around Pulisic and mother of god bring in some new blood in the midfield. Jesus.

Jones is playing awful right now.

If this is the type of team they will send to Russia assuming they qualify, I'd rather they just not go and embarrass themselves.

Yeah. The last world cup should have been his final set of games. Jones is 35. I mean what can you expect? He's way past his prime. And what's with bringing out Timothy Chandler again? He's not good. Never has been.

PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 5:01 pm 
mXn

verb_to_trust wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Gritty.

Fuck you

Spoiler: show
AF

PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 6:18 pm 
Gone

Bammer wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Gritty.

Fuck you

Spoiler: show
AF

Fuck you

PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 7:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Talent still mostly sucks. They do a crappy job of developing it. Giulati still needs to step down, they need new blood at every level, getting into development programs is still way way too expensive and the bulk of the home grown talent is just not good enough.

That said, they actually pulled PULISIC?

Yeah, Klinsmann was a nice player 25 years ago, I'm not sure he's ever been impressive as a coach. What ONE good year in the Bundisliga? Why was he so coveted?

It almost feels like we are in the middle of an 8 or 10 year gap of talent development.

PostPosted: Wed November 16, 2016 8:09 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
Talent still mostly sucks. They do a crappy job of developing it. Giulati still needs to step down, they need new blood at every level, getting into development programs is still way way too expensive and the bulk of the home grown talent is just not good enough.

That said, they actually pulled PULISIC?

Yeah, Klinsmann was a nice player 25 years ago, I'm not sure he's ever been impressive as a coach. What ONE good year in the Bundisliga? Why was he so coveted?

It almost feels like we are in the middle of an 8 or 10 year gap of talent development.

Yep. Need to retool everything, at every level. And it's at least a 8 year talent gap and the gap isn't closing anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 4:14 am 
Gone

Da Führer has been removed from his post. Thank God.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 2:05 pm 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:

And now we get Bruce Arena which will be a huge cup of average as hell. If he can find a couple young midfielders though I'll take it. If he throws Bradley and some other has been out on the pitch - well fuck it.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 2:07 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

jwfocker wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

And now we get Bruce Arena which will be a huge cup of average as hell. If he can find a couple young midfielders though I'll take it. If he throws Bradley and some other has been out on the pitch - well fuck it.

Yeah I shook my head at the Arena choice. Way to be happy with mediocrity, USA.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 6:14 pm 
Gone

Arena is just there to stabilize, qualify for Russia, and the hand the reigns over to a young manager like Oscar Pareja after Russia. You can say what you want about arena but at least he's shown he can get an away result in Panama , Honduras ect.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 7:21 pm 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
Arena is just there to stabilize, qualify for Russia, and the hand the reigns over to a young manager like Oscar Pareja after Russia. You can say what you want about arena but at least he's shown he can get an away result in Panama , Honduras ect.

But Brian McBride ain't walking through that door!

I mean hopefully not. He better not start coaching. He can barely comment on soccer in full sentences.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 7:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

Really Sunil? Really?

Is it 1998? Go Tab Ramos! Go Claudio Reyna.

Did we also get back with our high school girlfriend?

Bruce Arena is going to make bad talent less mediocre?

US soccer is one giant circle jerk.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 8:00 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Just qualifying for Russia so they can go get their asses handed to them seems kind of pointless. Arena isn't going to do anything that will get them out of group stage. Would better in the long run finding the coach of the future now and let them build completely over. If they make the cup, great, but if not it isn't the end of the world at this point.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 8:31 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Just qualifying for Russia so they can go get their asses handed to them seems kind of pointless. Arena isn't going to do anything that will get them out of group stage. Would better in the long run finding the coach of the future now and let them build completely over. If they make the cup, great, but if not it isn't the end of the world at this point.

Yeah that's my issue. This is just a huge waste of time. Let's basically get a vessel to hold the position so that maybe we can get to the world cup and get destroyed. No long term vision.

Not to mention Arena's foot in mouth moment when he discussed players who weren't American enough. That's not really the sentiment US soccer needs right now or ever but it's especially inflammatory in today's environment.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 9:18 pm 
Gone

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 9:24 pm 
Gone

You guys do realize that missing out on the world cup would be an enormous setback in the development of soccer in the United States right? All of the sudden it would be 1980 again. A catastrophic domino effect would take place. Christian Pulisic, John Brooks, Cameron Carter Vickers.... these guys need to play in the world cup or else everything stagnates.

Please, tell me more about this hypothetical coach of the future that is just waiting to take the USMNT to the WC semi finals though.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 11:22 pm 

So what happens if they don't make Russia? Fire Arena and start over then, or commit to him for another four years?

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2016 11:26 pm 
Gone

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So what happens if they don't make Russia? Fire Arena and start over then, or commit to him for another four years?

Arena is probably done after 2018 no matter what. A national team coach should very rarely be in place more than one World Cup cycle. The goal isn't to find some sort of Greg? Popavich mainstay. It's to keep the program on track and progressing.

PostPosted: Wed November 23, 2016 3:31 am 

verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Arena is probably done after 2018 no matter what. A national team coach should very rarely be in place more than one World Cup cycle. The goal isn't to find some sort of Greg? Popavich mainstay. It's to keep the program on track and progressing.

Maybe they should just get boy face Steph Curry to play soccer

PostPosted: Wed November 23, 2016 5:49 am 
mXn

You guys.

Bruce Arena's got this.

Chill.

PostPosted: Wed November 23, 2016 1:04 pm 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Eh, there's really not much into the whole keep your national team coach for one cycle concept. Germany and Spain have kept the same coach for multiple cycles and they've had their best runs yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 172  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports