The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Redskins name controversy
PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 2:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
Southerners of RM: do people there still try to use Yankee as a slur against non-Southerners?

Does New Zealand count as South?

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 2:51 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I didn't even realize you were a Washington fan, d_v. You don't think your fanboy bias might be affecting your attitude toward the name change? (Sincere question)

Ultimately, I still still think this is a no brainer, but I was wrong to make it personal, so I apologize for calling you an asshole.

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Green Habit wrote:
Southerners of RM: do people there still try to use Yankee as a slur against non-Southerners?

Yes. I hear it in the rural areas all the time.

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 3:38 pm 
slower than 82% of US

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Yes. I hear it in the rural areas all the time.

I get referred to as a "yank" all the time from southerners on the phone

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 4:15 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah I never really thought of "Yanks" as a derogatory term either, in most WW2 movies, its
"thank god for you Bloody Yanks coming over here" from a Brit
Pearl Harbor - "if all the yanks fight like you chap, god help Jerry" (good thing all the yanks dont fight like Affleck / cue up some Sad Batman/Daredevil pics)

and this kid seems pretty proud of being a Yankee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yankee_Doodle_Boy

but in the end the R word is about more than just the word, its about the negative stereotype its casting on an ethnic group of people, they dont just want the name changed, they do not wish to be a mascot for a sports team

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 4:17 pm 
AnalLog

Kaius wrote:
I didn't even realize you were a Washington fan, d_v. You don't think your fanboy bias might be affecting your attitude toward the name change? (Sincere question)

Ultimately, I still still think this is a no brainer, but I was wrong to make it personal, so I apologize for calling you an asshole.

I totally agree, this should be a no brainer. The first time the Natives voiced concern / protested the names/mascots, everyone should have listened. Instead? a bunch of millionaire owners and sports leagues said "shut up were honoring you"

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 8:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Heathen wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Yeah we still use that term all the time :arrow:
The term for white folk here is Pākehā - which according to some means white pig, or maggot.

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 8:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rangi Guy wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Yeah we still use that term all the time :arrow:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=75

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 8:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Goddamn carpetbagging Yankees ruined everything.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue June 24, 2014 8:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed June 25, 2014 1:06 am 
Future Drummer

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
but in the end the R word is about more than just the word, its about the negative stereotype its casting on an ethnic group of people, they dont just want the name changed, they do not wish to be a mascot for a sports team

I don't think retards are technically an ethnic group.

PostPosted: Wed June 25, 2014 1:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

you're missed here, bart

PostPosted: Wed June 25, 2014 2:33 am 
slower than 82% of US

doug rr wrote:
you're missed here, bart

yeah, i thought about making a comment about him using "r word" but bart did it way better than i could've

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 4:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

philpritchard wrote:
96583UP wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

1 - if changing the name, leads to Native teens having a better feeling of who they are as NativeAmericans, and raises their morale as a people instead of cartoon character, IT IS A HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE. Suicide rates among native american teens are 3x higher than the national average. http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/10/14340090-suicide-is-epidemic-for-american-indian-youth-what-more-can-be-done http://www.yspp.org/about_suicide/youth ... .htm#eight

2 - Cleveland has been pro-active in recent years, Chief Wahoo is all but retired, and, Cleveland fans have started to remove him from old jerseys hats. Which started a twitter trend at one point - http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... an-be-done Daniel SnyderGeorge Steinbrenner says he will NEVER change the name (you can capitalize that)

3 - There are many reasons leading to not huge numbers on how NativeAmericans view this, starting with, they have REAL problems. But, they have been protesting ALLmany of the names for a long long time. This is not a new trend, this is not lawyers trying to make a name / money. The local DJ i posted a clip of above has been protesting these names since the 60's I believe.

4 - the Original honorowner was a racist asshole and named them the RY word to show a fierce bloody warrior that would scalp and kill you and take no prisoners, a man who got other owners to make it a whites only league, and whos team was the last teamlate to integrate

Mecca wrote:
id like to see either of you actually post statistics about who finds it offensive, otherwise you're just making them up. maybe next time i am on the reservationsubway here and I see a redskinsYankees flag or logo, i'll take a picture so the people who think native americans find it highly offensive can see that its not always the case. I don't think the name needs to stay nor am I adamant that it needs to change, but it isn't as cut and dry as the two extreme arguments are being faced against each other on this page.

Some dont find it offensive, its true, but Experts are still pointing to the horrible stereotypes generations of Nativeamerican people have dealt with leading to low moral / low feelings about their ethnicitynationality. IF changing the names helps, even 1 person feel better about themselves, ITS THE LEAST we can do, its a freaking mascot! for a sports team thats making BILLIONS off of their image. BILLIONS!

Considering what these people have put up with for 5200+ years... (including my 3X greatirish grandmother who was taken from her home and sent to boarding school to teach her to be white / literally beat the wild Indianhuman from her http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish- ... aves/31076) this shouldnt even be a discussion.

CHANGE THE NAME

i agree the Yankees should change their name

Man, those Yankees sure have had a rough past, what with the being forced off their land and the genocide and the forced assimilation and the residential schools and whatnot. They've been persecuted for far too long!

True story: I didn't know anyone considered Yankee a derogatory term until I read this thread. Until now, I assumed it simply meant "American" in the same way Canuck means "Canadian". Actually... I guess I still believe that.

it's true, north america was paradise before the "white man" appeared. there was no violence or aggression amongst native tribes, tribal enslavement, or tribal genocide; rather, it was a giant dance of unicorns, rainbows, and teepees. then the white man ruined everything :(

and yes, all Yankees since 1776 have lived in a post-indian American paradise, by contrast. there has been equitable determination of landowner rights and voting rights for all Americans, at all times; suitable labor standards; a lack of economic class warfare; and no forced military drafting. Americans have had it great since 1776. Especially poor Americans, who regularly thank the minority of the opulent for their benevolence.

But in terms of assessing whether the name of a sports team "must" be changed, because it is a derogatory term used to describe a group of people; that one sports team uses a derogatory term for a group of people versus another sports team that uses a derogatory term for another group of people that is perceived to have been treated more poorly is irrelevant. Both names are derogatory terms for groups of people. No one group is more valuable than the other. That's equality.

Google "Yankee definition"

CHANGE THE NAMES

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 6:25 am 
Future Drummer

Change your tampons

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 11:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

exactly

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 1:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

What kind of Native American activist groups or outreach programs are the Washington Redskins apart of?

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the headline plaintiff in the trademark case also has her eyes set on the Chiefs:

http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/26/352737 ... gtons.html

That brings up the whole question of whether only certain words and images cross the line, or whether any cultural appropriation does.

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 7:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
Looks like the headline plaintiff in the trademark case also has her eyes set on the Chiefs:

http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/26/352737 ... gtons.html

That brings up the whole question of whether only certain words and images cross the line, or whether any cultural appropriation does.

i actually seen a link where someone bashed the FLOTUS for using the word gypped. i am so over all this nonsense not just the PC'ness of everything but freakin politics

PostPosted: Thu June 26, 2014 11:00 pm 
AnalLog

Thejambi wrote:
What kind of Native American activist groups or outreach programs are the Washington Redskins apart of?

Snyder started some program to give money to tribes as a good will gesture... course he named the charity something like "The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation"

way to try and buy off the people who are opposing you, by using the term they oppose in the first place?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports