The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Redskins name controversy
PostPosted: Fri June 27, 2014 12:31 am 
Rank This Poster

bodysnatcher wrote:

WAY off topic but love this!

PostPosted: Fri June 27, 2014 4:45 am 
Poster of the Year

Peeps wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Looks like the headline plaintiff in the trademark case also has her eyes set on the Chiefs:

http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/26/352737 ... gtons.html

That brings up the whole question of whether only certain words and images cross the line, or whether any cultural appropriation does.

i actually seen a link where someone bashed the FLOTUS for using the word gypped. i am so over all this nonsense not just the PC'ness of everything but freakin politics

What if she literally meant swindled by a gypsy?

PostPosted: Fri June 27, 2014 5:13 am 
slower than 82% of US

Green Habit wrote:
Looks like the headline plaintiff in the trademark case also has her eyes set on the Chiefs:

That brings up the whole question of whether only certain words and images cross the line, or whether any cultural appropriation does.

next thing you know, we'll have the Brits and Vikings beating down our doors.

PostPosted: Fri June 27, 2014 1:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

i actually seen a link where someone bashed the FLOTUS for using the word gypped. i am so over all this nonsense not just the PC'ness of everything but freakin politics

So you're tired of people jamming their PC-ness down your throat?

PostPosted: Fri June 27, 2014 5:10 pm 
slower than 82% of US

philpritchard wrote:
Peeps wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

So you're tired of people jamming their PC-ness down your throat?

thats not a very pc statement, phil

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 3:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

They should also ban..

Bills - bufalo bill shot guns n they're violent

Vikings - ridiculously violent people

Browns - may be thought as inappropriate towards darker skinned people

Patriots - used guns to kill British

Jets - a ny logo, brings back haunting 911 memories

Ravens - poe had violent stories

raiders - dude looks like hed kill you in a second

Packers - offensive to gays

Giants - offensive to midgets

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 4:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

For those in the Change the Name of the Redskins Camp ( :wave: ), I have a serious question. I'm too close, too invested to look at it objectively. But are those here in favor of the Redskins change, also in favor of a Chiefs change?

To me, Redskins is actually offensive, whereas Chiefs is not. But I'm biased. If the Redskins change, do you think the Chiefs should also?

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

durdencommatyler wrote:
For those in the Change the Name of the Redskins Camp ( :wave: ), I have a serious question. I'm too close, too invested to look at it objectively. But are those here in favor of the Redskins change, also in favor of a Chiefs change?

To me, Redskins is actually offensive, whereas Chiefs is not. But I'm biased. If the Redskins change, do you think the Chiefs should also?
Well, it goes back to what I mentioned above as to specifically derogatory items versus wholesale cultural appropriation. It's clear that the plaintiff in this case feels that the latter is wrong as well, which could put the Chiefs in trouble.

My gut feeling is that the Chiefs name will be safe, especially since it came from a non-native source to begin with. But I would think that the war chant could be ditched without much fuss, and they could be pressured to put pressure on fans who dress up (though my feeling is that this is a real small number). But if there's a demand to ditch arrowhead references (the stadium and logo), that's where things could get ugly.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 7:49 pm 
RM Elitist

Unfortunately, where Joey is too close, I may not be close enough. The obvious offenders to me are the Redskins name and the Chief Wahoo logo... both are negative stereotypes and terms. Terms like Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks are designed to glorify the toughness, resilience, and honor the native american cultures. The biggest problem however is how the teams fan bases then use that as a spring board for racist characterizations- Tomahawk Chop comes to mind- that could ultimately lead to name changes down the line.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 7:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I think we should force Boston to pronounce "Celtics" with a hard C.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

@SkitchP wrote:
Terms like Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks are designed to glorify the toughness, resilience, and honor the native american cultures.
What if the consensus is that they don't see it as an honor to be glorified as tough or resilient? Or, at the very least, they'd like to design their own consensus?

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 8:44 pm 
RM Elitist

Green Habit wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
Terms like Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks are designed to glorify the toughness, resilience, and honor the native american cultures.
What if the consensus is that they don't see it as an honor to be glorified as tough or resilient? Or, at the very least, they'd like to design their own consensus?

$

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 10:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Well, it goes back to what I mentioned above as to specifically derogatory items versus wholesale cultural appropriation. It's clear that the plaintiff in this case feels that the latter is wrong as well, which could put the Chiefs in trouble.

My gut feeling is that the Chiefs name will be safe, especially since it came from a non-native source to begin with. But I would think that the war chant could be ditched without much fuss, and they could be pressured to put pressure on fans who dress up (though my feeling is that this is a real small number). But if there's a demand to ditch arrowhead references (the stadium and logo), that's where things could get ugly.

This is actually what worries me the most.

As you say, Chief isn't originally a Native American term to begin with. Technically, neither is an arrowhead specifically. I feel like I could go with losing the name Chiefs before losing Arrowhead Stadium, though. Something so iconic and awesome about Arrowhead.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 12:28 am 
Site Admin

durdencommatyler wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

This is actually what worries me the most.

As you say, Chief isn't originally a Native American term to begin with. Technically, neither is an arrowhead specifically. I feel like I could go with losing the name Chiefs before losing Arrowhead Stadium, though. Something so iconic and awesome about Arrowhead.
Corporate sponsorship could knock it out, though...or you get something mutated like what happened in Denver, like "Sprint Field at Arrowhead".

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 4:15 am 
AnalLog

@SkitchP wrote:
Unfortunately, where Joey is too close, I may not be close enough. The obvious offenders to me are the Redskins name and the Chief Wahoo logo... both are negative stereotypes and terms. Terms like Braves, Chiefs, Blackhawks are designed to glorify the toughness, resilience, and honor the native american cultures. The biggest problem however is how the teams fan bases then use that as a spring board for racist characterizations- Tomahawk Chop comes to mind- that could ultimately lead to name changes down the line.

The Dodger fans during last years playoff games, mocking the chop, is what really pushes this over to the side of just change them all. If the Braves are honoring Native American heritage, well then the Dodger fans were full blown shitting all over it. Yes, Dodger fans were just having fun with Atlanta fans, and mocking the baseball teams chant, BUT, how do you explain that to the 10 year old Native American boy watching at home?

They are a people, not a mascot
The have a culture, a heritage, that they should be proud of, not watched it be characterized to a cartoon

but until the Daniel Snyders and the Johnny Depps of the world stop wanting to play Indians, I think were going to be dealing with this topic. At least its a topic now though. 23 years after their first major organized protest at a Washington football game.

PostPosted: Tue July 22, 2014 7:12 pm 
Champion of RM

I expect all professional teams to lose their native american knicknames in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue July 22, 2014 7:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

With all the world cup and LeBron stuff i thought this went away.

PostPosted: Tue July 22, 2014 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

CopperTom wrote:
I expect all professional teams to lose their native american knicknames in my lifetime.
"New York Basketball Team" will be even more confusing...

PostPosted: Mon August 11, 2014 5:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

:P

PostPosted: Mon August 11, 2014 5:29 pm 
The Master

Alex wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

:P

will the whole season be on hbogo or what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports