The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the sterling/silver thing?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 am 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
what

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 am 
Commissioner

For my own educational purposes (because I'm not familiar with much of his music beyond his hits), can someone provide some of the anti-white Jay-Z lyrics that have been referenced repeatedly in this thread? I've tried googling for them and the only result that came up was in a message board post from an Aryan Brotherhood website, and it was line about a "cracker." I'm aware of the whole Five Percent controversy, and that seems to be 99% of the results that come up under "anti-white Jay-Z lyrics," but even just searching for articles/lists about anti-white rap lyrics fails to produce substantial Jay-Z-related results. Since apparently these anti-white lyrics are common knowledge to everyone else, can someone post them? I'm curious as to how they compare to your average Hatecore lyrics, or even older stuff like Johnny Rebel.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:36 am 
The Beef

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:40 am 
Commissioner

Bill Nye only had that picture taken so he wouldn't get attacked by the "RM Mob."

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:52 am 
The Beef

Lament wrote:
Bill Nye only had that picture taken so he wouldn't get attacked by the "RM Mob."

Please, Bill Nye wouldn't take no shit from RM.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Lament wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Are you saying that the scrutiny of "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck that police" was brought about by the aritsts skin color and not the material itself?

^^^^to answer this question, just think of a white artist's material that is comparable to "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck tha police"

knee tunes wrote:
racist lyrics, no?

The fact that not a single act from the burgeoning Hatecore genre has been threatened with arrests for publicly performing their music suggests that, yes, race very likely played a large role in the targeting of NWA and 2 Live Crew, and that, no, racist lyrics are not something that only black artists can "get away with."

Ozzy and Judas Priest were put on trial for their lyrics. For wrongful death! Not that I want to get in the middle of this.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm 

You are so fucked now, bada. Prepare to meet your maker.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:47 pm 

Hey!!!! I'm just saying I don't think any ethnic group has a monopoly on getting crap for their music. A more recent example would be Marilyn Manson and Columbine. The only reason no one cares now is because the moral authority kept losing their court cases and kids bought the records they put on lists in droves so they gave up.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

let's talk about magic johnson now

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
I am uncomfortable posting any more like this. I never even refer to a person by their skin color. I intentionally don't . My kids would say "the brown Matthew" to differentiate sometimes because they never heard the term "black person"

Neil: You made up “Fat Neil?”
Jeff: Someone asked me where the restrooms were and you were standing by them but you were kind of standing by... um... other Neil.
Neil: So call him “Skinny Neil.”
Jeff: Well he’s actually not that skinny.
Neil: He’s bald. And he’s black.
Jeff: Well I don’t see the world through that lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:34 pm 
Commissioner

bada wrote:
Hey!!!! I'm just saying I don't think any ethnic group has a monopoly on getting crap for their music. A more recent example would be Marilyn Manson and Columbine. The only reason no one cares now is because the moral authority kept losing their court cases and kids bought the records they put on lists in droves so they gave up.

I don't think black people have a monopoly on getting crap for their music, for what it's worth (and I'm not saying you're suggesting I did). I just think the idea that they "get away with a lot more" is completely out of touch with reality and borderline dangerous.

You raise a good point about Ozzy and Judas Priest, though both of those were cases of private citizens filing civil lawsuits against them for liabilities as opposed to law enforcement/the government proactively punishing them for their art (I believe, I could be wrong though). I suppose it comes down to whether or not you find there to be a difference in those two things (I do, obviously).

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm 

Lament wrote:
bada wrote:

I don't think black people have a monopoly on getting crap for their music, for what it's worth (and I'm not saying you're suggesting I did). I just think the idea that they "get away with a lot more" is completely out of touch with reality and borderline dangerous.

You raise a good point about Ozzy and Judas Priest, though both of those were cases of private citizens filing civil lawsuits against them for liabilities as opposed to law enforcement/the government proactively punishing them for their art (I believe, I could be wrong though). I suppose it comes down to whether or not you find there to be a difference in those two things (I do, obviously).

I guess you could look at some of the stuff that went down with Jim Morrison but I hear ya. I don't really know what "getting away with more" really means in this context or what the opposite of "getting away with more" or the consequences of such are either. If it means black people can bitch about whitey but whites can't bitch about blacks that seems like a shallow reading of our society. I don't know if it's racist as much as poorly thought out.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
I guess you could look at some of the stuff that went down with Jim Morrison but I hear ya. I don't really know what "getting away with more" really means in this context or what the opposite of "getting away with more" or the consequences of such are either. If it means black people can bitch about whitey but whites can't bitch about blacks that seems like a shallow reading of our society. I don't know if it's racist as much as poorly thought out.

it may not be racist but it will be construed as racist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

knee tunes wrote:
:| He made an honest point, ....why should that person have to apologize and you have turned it into a crucifixion.

He was explained why, and continuously refused to acknowledge the fact that the comment could even possibly be poorly worded. Then, he grasped on to the opinion of a black man (continuously pointing out "What is he? HE'S A BLACK MAN!") as if that validated his entire argument. He made the aforementioned idiotic posts about rap lyrics, said shit like "black people talk about Trayvon Martin all the time but we never hear about black on white violence" (which, come the fuck on). If you can't see how his comments in this thread evince a fundamental lack of understanding of the very wide and very complex topic of race, and come off as sheltered at best and actually kind of fucking racist at worst, I'm sorry.

But more than that, this is just the latest in a series of Harry Lime conversations that point to him being clueless to social issues; he clearly has problems with women ("Being rejected by multiple girls in high school and the first two years of college, because I was the "nice guy", really reduces my concern for women in abusive relationships"), continuously undermines the struggles of the LGBT community ("oh God, I have to hear about gay marriage all year") and has a real chip on his shoulder with media depictions of "the blacks" ("It's good to see Faulkner shed light on black loyalties and friendships with their owners following the end of the Civil War. You can't trust Hollywood, because all they show are blacks revolting and celebrating, but never the repercussions" among many comments). Kid sees himself as the lone crusader for common sense amidst a sea of media sensationalism and minorities who should "just relax". This has been building for a while. I hope he gets some perspective, because his view is narrowing.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm 
The Master

I remember him making that Abusive relationship comment. I remember feeling upset thinking that someone actually 1) typed that out and 2) believed it.

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
:| He made an honest point, ....why should that person have to apologize and you have turned it into a crucifixion.

He was explained why, and continuously refused to acknowledge the fact that the comment could even possibly be poorly worded. Then, he grasped on to the opinion of a black man (continuously pointing out "What is he? HE'S A BLACK MAN!") as if that validated his entire argument. He made the aforementioned idiotic posts about rap lyrics, said shit like "black people talk about Trayvon Martin all the time but we never hear about black on white violence" (which, come the fuck on). If you can't see how his comments in this thread evince a fundamental lack of understanding of the very wide and very complex topic of race, and come off as sheltered at best and actually kind of fucking racist at worst, I'm sorry.

But more than that, this is just the latest in a series of Harry Lime conversations that point to him being clueless to social issues; he clearly has problems with women ("Being rejected by multiple girls in high school and the first two years of college, because I was the "nice guy", really reduces my concern for women in abusive relationships"), continuously undermines the struggles of the LGBT community ("oh God, I have to hear about gay marriage all year") and has a real chip on his shoulder with media depictions of "the blacks" ("It's good to see Faulkner shed light on black loyalties and friendships with their owners following the end of the Civil War. You can't trust Hollywood, because all they show are blacks revolting and celebrating, but never the repercussions" among many comments). Kid sees himself as the lone crusader for common sense amidst a sea of media sensationalism and minorities who should "just relax". This has been building for a while. I hope he gets some perspective, because his view is narrowing.

10/10

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:08 pm 
Commissioner

Let's not forget this gem...

Harry Lime wrote:
I cannot believe I'm reading responses from someone who lives down in South America, and does not experience & hear stories of the day-to-day social relations in this country. Please, shut the fuck up.

And I should get out more? I work with plethora of different minorities. And I respect a great number of them. Also, I hang out with a group of federal agents. I hear firsthand accounts. Again, you don't live in this country. Shut up.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:08 pm 
The Master

Race issues are an American only thing, guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

the "kid brother to a bunch of federal agents" thing is definitely not an important factor in the shaping of his psyche

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports