The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Can we talk about the sterling/silver thing?
PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm white, so let me begin with the obligatory, "I'm not racist."

Donald Sterling sucks. I don't feel a tiny bit bad for him. But this whole thing frightens me. Am I wrong or is this all over a private conversation that was recorded without his knowledge? I heard a bigot on that tape, but I didn't hear a crime being committed. How can someone be banned for life and fined $2.5 million for a private conversation? Who among us would have a job if select private conversations were recorded and made public? And what about the double-standard? Isn't Jay-Z a minority owner of the Nets? He has publically released albums that have racist and sexist lyrics. He wears medallions for the five-percenters to games. I haven't gone deep on it, but the articles I read report that the religion is very anti-white. Why isn't he banned? What about the players, black and white, who nightly throw the words fag and faggot around in earshot of paying customers, including children? I have no problem with this Sterling bitch getting his comeuppance, but this is not the way it should happen. How about Doc Rivers walks away? How about players refuse to play for his team? How about people don't buy tickets? How about democracy in action? I hope all of the outraged owners, players, and "civil rights leaders" don't live in glass houses. This is some big brother shit, isn't it?

Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the sterling/silver thing?
PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I've never been a big fan of good behavior clauses in sports contracts, personally. I'm a little confused about the nature of owning a sports franchise. Sounds more like they are partners. Anyway, they agree to follow the rules of the league. Its not like the government is punishing him. Its obviously damaging to the league so they can act to get rid of him. Players are punished for those things you mentioned all the time.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

If I said a bunch of racist shit at work I would expect to be fired.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tommymctom wrote:
If I said a bunch of racist shit at work I would expect to be fired.

What about at your piece on the side's house?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:33 pm 
Commissioner

daft twat wrote:
I didn't hear a crime being committed

And he's not being prosecuted for or charged with one.

daft twat wrote:
How can someone be banned for life and fined $2.5 million for a private conversation?

Because the NBA is a private organization that can subject its members to its own bylaws. Sterling is free to (and probably will) fight it in court.

daft twat wrote:
Isn't Jay-Z a minority owner of the Nets? He has publically released albums that have racist and sexist lyrics. He wears medallions for the five-percenters to games. I haven't gone deep on it, but the articles I read report that the religion is very anti-white. Why isn't he banned?

The NBA is a private organization. It could have chosen to not let him purchase minority shares on those ground. It did not. It also chose not to chase Sterling out when he was facing litigation over his slumvilles. I'd say that was a much worse thing to "let slide" than Jay-Z's misogynistic lyrics, so let's not act like Donald Sterling didn't get the benefit of the NBA deciding that things that weren't SPECIFICALLY about his investment in an NBA franchise weren't worth pursuing. This was an owner expressing that he didn't want a specific race of people AT HIS NBA GAMES. If Jay-Z's next album had lyrics about not wanting whites/women/gays/etc. at Nets games, then there'd be an equivalency. But what you've presented here is not one.

daft twat wrote:
What about the players, black and white, who nightly throw the words fag and faggot around in earshot of paying customers, including children?

Ask Kobe Bryant or Joakim Noah.

daft twat wrote:
I have no problem with this Sterling bitch getting his comeuppance, but this is not the way it should happen. How about Doc Rivers walks away? How about players refuse to play for his team? How about people don't buy tickets?

Yeah, let's fuck over all of the low-level, hourly employees that depend on the Clippers and the Staples Center to take care of themselves and their families.

daft twat wrote:
How about democracy in action?

I would say fans threatening to boycott, players threatening not to play, and sponsors pulling out their money is democracy in action. They exercised the things they have the right to do in the hopes that the NBA would exercise its rights. And it did. Sterling is free to exercise his rights and sue the NBA and the rest of the owners.

daft twat wrote:
I hope all of the outraged owners, players, and "civil rights leaders" don't live in glass houses. This is some big brother shit, isn't it?

No. It's not. It's a private organization exercising what it considers to be the powers it believes it was granted in its constitution and bylaws. Sterling is free to fight this in court. There is nothing "big brother" about it.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:42 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

That was pretty damn sexy.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Lament wrote:
daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:
How can someone be banned for life and fined $2.5 million for a private conversation?

Because the NBA is a private organization that can subject its members to its own bylaws. Sterling is free to (and probably will) fight it in court.

daft twat wrote:
Isn't Jay-Z a minority owner of the Nets? He has publically released albums that have racist and sexist lyrics. He wears medallions for the five-percenters to games. I haven't gone deep on it, but the articles I read report that the religion is very anti-white. Why isn't he banned?

The NBA is a private organization. It could have chosen to not let him purchase minority shares on those ground. It did not. It also chose not to chase Sterling out when he was facing litigation over his slumvilles. I'd say that was a much worse thing to "let slide" than Jay-Z's misogynistic lyrics, so let's not act like Donald Sterling didn't get the benefit of the NBA deciding that things that weren't SPECIFICALLY about his investment in an NBA franchise weren't worth pursuing. This was an owner expressing that he didn't want a specific race of people AT HIS NBA GAMES. If Jay-Z's next album had lyrics about not wanting whites/women/gays/etc. at Nets games, then there'd be an equivalency. But what you've presented here is not one.

daft twat wrote:
What about the players, black and white, who nightly throw the words fag and faggot around in earshot of paying customers, including children?

daft twat wrote:
I have no problem with this Sterling bitch getting his comeuppance, but this is not the way it should happen. How about Doc Rivers walks away? How about players refuse to play for his team? How about people don't buy tickets?

Yeah, let's fuck over all of the low-level, hourly employees that depend on the Clippers and the Staples Center to take care of themselves and their families.

daft twat wrote:

I would say fans threatening to boycott, players threatening not to play, and sponsors pulling out their money is democracy in action. They exercised the things they have the right to do in the hopes that the NBA would exercise its rights. And it did. Sterling is free to exercise his rights and sue the NBA and the rest of the owners.

daft twat wrote:
I hope all of the outraged owners, players, and "civil rights leaders" don't live in glass houses. This is some big brother shit, isn't it?

No. It's not. It's a private organization exercising what it considers to be the powers it believes it was granted in its constitution and bylaws. Sterling is free to fight this in court. There is nothing "big brother" about it.

Lament, what advice do you have about fighting DUIs?

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 11:44 pm 
Commissioner

numbers wrote:
Lament, what advice do you have about fighting DUIs?

Wear something revealing to court and wink at the judge.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:01 am 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
I've never been a big fan of good behavior clauses in sports contracts, personally. I'm a little confused about the nature of owning a sports franchise. Sounds more like they are partners. Anyway, they agree to follow the rules of the league. Its not like the government is punishing him. Its obviously damaging to the league so they can act to get rid of him. Players are punished for those things you mentioned all the time.

Yeah, players are fined, not banned for life.

Like I said, I don't feel bad for the guy, but whatever. Next time I'll just pm Lament so I can be condescended to in private. Of course, things done in private have a way of becoming public.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:05 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:21 am 
Commissioner

I'm sorry. I was under the impression you wanted to discuss this. Next time I won't address any of the issues you raised and I'll just send you a virtual fist-bump and bro-hug instead.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:22 am 
Commissioner

daft twat wrote:
Yeah, players are fined, not banned for life.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:24 am 

Lament wrote:
I'm sorry. I was under the impression you wanted to discuss this. Next time I won't address any of the issues you raised and I'll just send you a virtual fist-bump and bro-hug instead.

condescending ass.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 12:25 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Come to sand, knock on the sand.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 1:58 am 
The Master

Lament wrote:
daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

daft twat wrote:

lock er up

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 2:08 am 
slower than 82% of US

I'm not sure I get the point of the $2.5mil fine. If he's out of the league, where's his incentive to pay this fine?

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 2:53 am 
Future Drummer

Some people I heard on the radio today stated the girlfriend is working for Magic Johnson to get Sterling on tape so he could buy the clippers. What is really comes down to is sponsors, they were gonna walk away. When money is involved, there is always change.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 4:12 am 
Rank This Poster

If I were him I would say it wasn't me n the golddigger probably hired someone who sounds like me and had another friend doctor it up on a computer.. The bitch was trying to blackmail me for a ton of cash

Being that the conversation is entrapment in the first place n is illegal, I don't see how I lose

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 4:15 am 

i got bugs wrote:
If I were him I would say it wasn't me n the golddigger probably hired someone who sounds like me and had another friend doctor it up on a computer.. The bitch was trying to blackmail me for a ton of cash

Being that the conversation is entrapment in the first place n is illegal, I don't see how I lose

The NBA had a voice recognition expert on the case, whatever that is.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 4:18 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

BurtReynolds wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

The NBA had a voice recognition expert on the case, whatever that is.

Release_Me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports