The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about the sterling/silver thing?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:44 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

I've read this entire thread and I've got to say, 100% kidding aside, I fail to see one Harry Lime post which comes across as racist. To the contrary, his posts in this thread are poignantly humble, sincere, and dignified.

I believe the bigotry and prejudice comes from you other folks who are extremely eager to lash out and belittle while also pointing to the shiny "tolerance" chip on your shoulder.

The person who did the interview and stated the tendency of people to cross the street when encountering a hooded black person, or to avoid a tattooed and pierced white dude, etc..........
well, actually, there is nothing wrong with what I just said there. Nothing wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with the above statment....nope, there is NOTHING wrong with it.

Why should one apologize for trying to make a point? Because I said the words "black person in a hoodie", I should apologize? this is not a racist slur....One can't even take this out of context & make it into something bad.

before I am hung out to dry for being a racist, like ya'll did to Harry Lime, let me say now that it is my belief that there's nothing closer to stupidity than racism. However, just because there was a murder of a black person in a hoodie does not mean that it is racist or wrong or even insensitive to ever use the words "black person in a hoodie" to make a point about a certain tendency of people to still avoid a "black person in a hoodie" (or pierced tattooed white dude) that they might encounter on the street.

The only thing that Harry Lime has done in here is share a rare stark honesty and ya'll missed it.

You were too busy raising your own standards and morals and wonderful fuckin personness . ...and then went riding off into the sunset making black movie jokes. Yee Hah, what a fucking joke indeed.
Mind you, I love bad jokes too, **and good ones** but what you all did to Harry Lime is terrible and unwarranted. Like Malloy said in that other thread, in the written form, you can separate words from "tone" or intent....so show me what harry said that was so fuckin bad.....except to reveal a raw human raw truth that ya'll killed him for.

:| He made an honest point, ....why should that person have to apologize and you have turned it into a crucifixion.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:52 am 
Commissioner

knee tunes wrote:
I fail to see one Harry Lime post which comes across as racist.

His very first post...

Harry Lime wrote:
I'm just saying that the black demographic can get away with a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:59 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Harry Lime wrote:
Lament gave a good breakdown, but I still have a problem with private conversations being investigated. But regardless, Sterling had it coming.

And let's be clear about the whole, "how can Jay-Z get away with it?" argument. The black demographic gravitates more to the NBA than any other sports organization. I don't have statistics on that, but I'm willing to bet that's a fact. Inviting Jay-Z to be a part of the NBA only helps its image, and God forbid that they refuse him, or else, you know, it might be racist.

What happened when Lil Wayne was turned away trying to enter a Thunder playoff game without a ticket last year? He cited racism.

I'm just saying that the black demographic can get away with a lot more. It doesn't matter the degree of controversy: Profane, offensive lyrics vs. Sterling's comments. It's the truth. So be it, doesn't ruin my day.

The entire post is anti-racist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 am 
Commissioner

Saying black people can "get away with a lot more" solely on account of being black is anti-racist?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:05 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

if it's not anti-racist, it's spoken in a way that is very truthful, without being racist. It's true that culture is different among races. It's true that music of today sung by black performing artists contains more profanity than that of white performing artists. Maybe the best way to have an honest true discussion about racism is to acknowledge what is fact. There are differences in culture. Harry Lime didn't degrade one side or the other, what is fact is fact. Just because I acknowledge what is fact, am I a racist? wtf I say to thee

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Lament wrote:
Saying black people can "get away with a lot more" solely on account of being black is anti-racist?

His point is that Jay-Z can write anti-white lyrics and "get away with it". This is true. If there were white artists performing anti-black lyrics, then no....they would NOT get away with it.

I've always believed that being pro-in one race is the same as racism. ... because it still draws prominence to "difference"

Did Harry Lime degrade any race? Not that I can see. He was stating what I just said, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
It's true that music of today sung by black performing artists contains more profanity than that of white performing artists.

See, this is the kind of dumb things that people present as fact when it's not. And then they wonder why they're being called out on saying bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:23 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Heathen wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
It's true that music of today sung by black performing artists contains more profanity than that of white performing artists.

See, this is the kind of dumb things that people present as fact when it's not. And then they wonder why they're being called out on saying bullshit.

It is fact. It's not dumb.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:24 am 
Commissioner

What do black artists get away with that white artists don't? Just because there may be more profanity in a person's music doesn't mean it's because they can get away with things that white artists can't. What white artists have been put through the legal scrutiny NWA or 2 Live Crew were subject to? Not public outcry, not monitoring of "potentially dangerous" personalities, but real legal scrutiny. Record stores being warned that if they sell copies of "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" they may be subject to prosecution on charges of distributing obscene materials. NWA being told they would be subject to arrest if they attempt to perform "Fuck tha Police."

I can't think of a single one. If you honestly believe on some level black people "get away with a lot more" because they're black then I don't really know how to respond to that, because I genuinely find that to be grossly untrue.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

and here comes the mob right? are you also saying that there are no anti-white lyrics by Jay Z/? is that also some bullshit ?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Knee tunes, I think you are right in that this was overblown. In my opinion, Harry's biggest fault here was his general tone of seemingly "sticking up" for the white race and not really being able to produce sound arguments for his opinions/views. I also think that he was pretty unpopular with the RM regulars and they took every opportunity to make him miserable, which is why I initially stuck up for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:31 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Though Harry is a little donkey brained, the whole thing is a little blown out of proportion. However, I stand by the racist movie titles for the sake of good comedy, which I think we can all agree is sacred.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Lament wrote:
What do black artists get away with that white artists don't? Just because there may be more profanity in a person's music doesn't mean it's because they can get away with things that white artists can't. What white artists have been put through the legal scrutiny NWA or 2 Live Crew were subject to? Not public outcry, not monitoring of "potentially dangerous" personalities, but real legal scrutiny. Record stores being warned that if they sell copies of "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" they may be subject to prosecution on charges of distributing obscene materials. NWA being told they would be subject to arrest if they attempt to perform "Fuck tha Police."

I can't think of a single one. If you honestly believe on some level black people "get away with a lot more" because they're black then I don't really know how to respond to that, because I genuinely find that to be grossly untrue.

The best discussion about racism could probably be addressed by being totally honest about how things are. Does Racism exist in your above example. Racism also goes both ways. Racism is differences that are unfair. Difference in culture is not racism, is it? Difference in culture does exist though... I don't believe it's racism.

To me, racism is degrading one race over the other. Pointing out differences in culture or art or style in expression thereof isn't racism, is it?

Maybe singing about Fuck Tha Police ain't a great idea no matter what color you are, no? or am I racist for saying that.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:47 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Lament wrote:

I can't think of a single one^^^^. If you honestly believe on some level black people "get away with a lot more" because they're black then I don't really know how to respond to that, because I genuinely find that to be grossly untrue.

Are you saying that the scrutiny of "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck that police" was brought about by the aritsts skin color and not the material itself?

^^^^to answer this question, just think of a white artist's material that is comparable to "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck tha police"

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:47 am 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
Heathen wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

Oh, good. I'm sure this FACT comes from a thorough analysis and is absolutely not just based on anecdotal evidence.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Lament wrote:
What do black artists get away with that white artists don't? .

racist lyrics, no?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Heathen wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Heathen wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

Oh, good. I'm sure this FACT comes from a thorough analysis and is absolutely not just based on anecdotal evidence.

are you saying there actually would be evidence on profanity in lyrics that's NOT anecdotal.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

what

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:04 am 
Commissioner

knee tunes wrote:
Are you saying that the scrutiny of "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck that police" was brought about by the aritsts skin color and not the material itself?

^^^^to answer this question, just think of a white artist's material that is comparable to "as nasty as they wanna be" and "fuck tha police"

knee tunes wrote:
racist lyrics, no?

The fact that not a single act from the burgeoning Hatecore genre has been threatened with arrests for publicly performing their music suggests that, yes, race very likely played a large role in the targeting of NWA and 2 Live Crew, and that, no, racist lyrics are not something that only black artists can "get away with."

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

I am uncomfortable posting any more like this. I never even refer to a person by their skin color. I intentionally don't . My kids would say "the brown Matthew" to differentiate sometimes because they never heard the term "black person"

until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes..it's a war.

I just couldn't stand how badly harry lime was misunderstood in this thread. I knew what he was trying to say and I hate to see someone being persecuted so badly because of being misunderstood. He didn't degrade anybody. If anything, he was maybe naively unguardedly honest...

good night, ya'll :wave:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports