The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: The Worst Owners in Sports
PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 5:53 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

marge schott

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

swan wrote:
Clay Bennett is a snake & fucked Seattle over in a bad way.
Eh, whoever sold the team to a native Oklahoman should have known that this was coming. And I still think Seattle made the right decision in taking a stand, even though they're now being used as a pawn to get other cities to get the taxpayers to pony up.

Of course, I don't know of other business activities Bennett has done that might get him higher up on this list.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

So Sterling just got hammered. My question would then be, will this stick as precedent for other owner misdeeds? The one I'm thinking of is in the NFL if Jimmy Haslam is indicted in the Pilot Flying J mess. If Sterling can be forced out over this I would hope so.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 6:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
So Sterling just got hammered. My question would then be, will this stick as precedent for other owner misdeeds? The one I'm thinking of is in the NFL if Jimmy Haslam is indicted in the Pilot Flying J mess. If Sterling can be forced out over this I would hope so.

It really depends on the other owners doesn't it? They sort of tacitly accept or deny the authority of the commissioner of the respective leagues. I think it can be looked at as a precedent though because of Marge Schott.

For the NBA especially, I think this was the absolute best move PR wise. The leagues fans will absolutely stand by Silver through the inevitable lawsuits.

This is a big part of defending the leagues ability to do business.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
It really depends on the other owners doesn't it? They sort of tacitly accept or deny the authority of the commissioner of the respective leagues. I think it can be looked at as such though because of Marge Schott.

For the NBA especially, I think this was the absolute best move PR wise. The leagues fans will absolutely stand by Silver through the inevitable lawsuits.
You're right on both the other owners and the PR level being factors. You'd just hope that it would factor in for all kinds of misdeeds.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 6:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
It really depends on the other owners doesn't it? They sort of tacitly accept or deny the authority of the commissioner of the respective leagues. I think it can be looked at as such though because of Marge Schott.

You're right on both the other owners and the PR level being factors. You'd just hope that it would factor in for all kinds of misdeeds.

Personally I think it would help labor/business relations if at least the perception existed that the commissioner could wield dicipline to protect the leagues business image on players and owners for behaving reprehensibly.

Silver's move here effectively takes this from a front page story to back pages. I think it was brilliant. It's over, and no one has to comment on it after the next 3 days. He probably even saved some sponsorships.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure the NBA will get a ratings spike tonight, though. Hell, I might even tune in.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 7:04 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
I'm sure the NBA will get a ratings spike tonight, though. Hell, I might even tune in.

You should tune in anyway. All 3 of the series that play tonight have been great.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 7:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

Seriously, it's been good, not Blues/Blackhawks good maybe, but really entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue April 29, 2014 7:16 pm 
Commissioner

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

You should tune in anyway. All 3 of the series that play tonight have been great.

OKC/Memphis and San Antonio/Dallas have been two of the best first round series in years. Maybe even as good as the 2003 Spurs/Suns series was through the first four games.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The owners of Wimbledon when they moved to Milton Keynes.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports