The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 1224  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 5:19 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Poor Brandon Knight

Also, I'm thrilled to see the Lakers back in the playoff picture right now.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 7:04 pm 
The Master

Joesanity wrote:
Poor Brandon Knight

At least Knight tried to play defense. Considering the size different and score that means something.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 9:22 pm 
AnalLog

lolz at Ronaldo Balkman.

:shake:

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:34 am 
Gone

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
Poor Brandon Knight

At least Knight tried to play defense. Considering the size different and score that means something.

Yeah, Knight is a nice looking young player who doesn't seem to back down. Kyrie also busted his ankles all star weekend and he took it in stride...

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Wed March 13, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:39 am 
Gone

Derrick Rose is 'Waiting until I feel normal." :shake:

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:27 am 
AnalLog

watching First Take today and Skip said Leonard dunked OVER Perkins.

'over'...really? get a clue.

that's as bad as Jeff Van Gundy (who i think is a great announcer) saying "random cut"

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:

so do you have the same injury as he does? i would never question another persons tolerance for pain or them saying they dont feel right.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:33 am 
AnalLog

Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

so do you have the same injury as he does? i would never question another persons tolerance for pain or them saying they dont feel right.

yea. i mean, i would only question him if it was a dislocated finger on his shooting hand. been there, done that.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:53 pm 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:

I wouldn't want him to come back this season. They won't win the championship this season anyways. Might as well ensure it's perfect.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:58 pm 
The Master

Rubio with the first triple double of his career. This is sublime.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 10:15 pm 
Gone

Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Until he plays in games he isn't going to feel 'normal'. At least that is what everyone who has the injury says. The last step in recovery is to get out there and work through that initial feeling of things still not being quite right. There is a much smaller part of me saying this guy just needs to go back to work, even if it is on a minutes limit and he struggles. The problem is, Derrick has probably seen his Adidas ads and thinks he has to live up to all that garbage.....

In other news, I was sick last Monday at work.....but told my boss I wasn't coming back until Wednesday when I felt ready.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 10:19 pm 
Gone

On a more positive note it was awesome to listen to Van Gundy go off on Bulls Mgmt during a nationally television game Sunday:

JVG: You see the lack of shooting by the Bulls, it's hard to get space for Boozer to attack in the low post. Somehow have to address that in the offseason.

Breen: Missing Kyle Korver has been huge, they're second-last in three pointers made per game...their bench was depleted. Asik, Watson, Korver, Lucas, Brewer. Some key players that Thibodeau used off the bench.

JVG: They had such great depth. I think they're going to regret for a long time not matching the Rockets offer for Asik. In 30 minutes a game, he is averaging a double-double, second in the league in rebounding, and he is a great great defensive center.

Breen: But he'd only have been a backup [with the Bulls], tough to give that money for a backup though.

JVG: not at all! Noah's been out with injury, Boozer's been out before. Listen: you don't draft, sign, develop a guy like they did with Asik and then let him go for nothing. You match it, and then later in the contract if you want to trade him, trade him. But to lose that great player for zero? They're going to regret it.

(commercial)

(later mention of Asik amongst NBA rebounding leaders)

Breen: It's going to be very difficult, especially with the new CBA penalties, to pay that kind of money to a player that's only going to be a backup.

JVG: Well then you don't want to win. You don't want to win. I listened to the Bulls in the offseason. They said they didn't make that decision for financial reasons, that it was purely a basketball decision.

Breen: Well that can't be true.

JVG: Right! There's no way you can let big, young talent go if you want to compete for a championship. The reason teams go in the Luxury Tax is to try and win it. That's where Miami is, that's where Dallas has been. The same with the Korver trade. You can't give a great shooter like that for nothing. It's not my money, so I'm not saying the Bulls and Jerry Reinsdorf should spend the money, but I'm saying that it impacts your ability to win.

Breen: Well there's no doubt....

JVG: If you want to win championships, you're going to have to spend. Because their greatest strength was their frontcourt depth, and Derrick Rose.

Breen: Unfortunately I think that's going to be more of the norm [due to the new CBA].

JVG: The Lakers will spend! They're going over the luxury tax. They will spend $100m in tax next year.

Breen: But the Lakers could've signed some extra help down the stretch of this season, and didn't do so because of the financial implications.

JVG: Well who's out there now who can make a difference? Asik makes a difference. I can understand not signing people just to sign people. But when you've got difference-makers, and you want to win it...and I think this goes back to what Reggie Rose was talking about...if you want to win it, then you're going to have to pay.

Breen: Reggie Rose created quite a stir [when he talked about his brother coming back and the team around Derrick]. ..next time you have a contract negotiation with ESPN, stand there and say "you gotta pay!"

JVG: It's not that, I'm just saying: you can't have it both ways. You have to decide and prioritize. Again, it's not my money, so not that Jerry Reinsdorf should spend it. But if you want to win, you keep Asik. You've got to keep those young talented players. I believe the new CBA screwed up, where you have to pay for guys that you helped develop. I don't get that part.

Breen: Unfortunately the way it had been, so many teams were losing money that the system had to change.

JVG: But the Bulls weren't one of them. The Bulls make huge money. So all I'm saying, is making less profit...I can understand losing money not doing it.

Breen: But the teams losing money caused the change, and that impacts all the teams, not just the ones losing money.

JVG: Well I don't even believe that many teams were really losing money...

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 2:51 am 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Until he plays in games he isn't going to feel 'normal'. At least that is what everyone who has the injury says. The last step in recovery is to get out there and work through that initial feeling of things still not being quite right. There is a much smaller part of me saying this guy just needs to go back to work, even if it is on a minutes limit and he struggles.

i agree with it all.

Iman Shumpert had the same injury and has been back for awhile now. yea, limited minutes and not the same style as Rose. but he's starting and running and cutting up and down the court.

PostPosted: Thu March 14, 2013 3:19 am 
Gone

red calzolaio wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Peeps wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Until he plays in games he isn't going to feel 'normal'. At least that is what everyone who has the injury says. The last step in recovery is to get out there and work through that initial feeling of things still not being quite right. There is a much smaller part of me saying this guy just needs to go back to work, even if it is on a minutes limit and he struggles.

i agree with it all.

Iman Shumpert had the same injury and has been back for awhile now. yea, limited minutes and not the same style as Rose. but he's starting and running and cutting up and down the court.

It hasn't been the same Shump as last year but hes out there working through that last phase of recovery and will be better next season for it. Meanwhile, the Bulls are getting thumped by 30 playing the Sacramento Supersonics tonight. It's been at least 3 or 4 years since i've seen a Bulls team just quit like this. Its hard to imagine how the Derrick Froze saga hasn't impacted the team psychology.......that and the roster sucks when compared to last year.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 10:56 am 
See you in another life, brother

Jason E.Terry :peace:

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 11:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

4/5 wrote:
Jason E.Terry :peace:

he probably thought when he was talking his shit that hed never have to guard lebron so it was ok to say

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

A three on one fast break and Terry actually tries to defend and its a big deal that a guy twice his size dunked on him? I guess he should have given up and got out of the way so he wouldn't get embarrassed like 90% of guys do nowadays. And then Lebron stares him down. Big bad baller. Someone needs to tell him you only do that when you dunk on someone bigger than you.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 2:22 pm 

bada wrote:
A three on one fast break and Terry actually tries to defend and its a big deal that a guy twice his size dunked on him? I guess he should have given up and got out of the way so he wouldn't get embarrassed like 90% of guys do nowadays.

I'd agree with you if it was pretty much anybody other than Terry. It is admirable that he tried to defend, I'll give you that. He's also one of the most obnoxious players in the league so yeah, I really enjoyed watching it.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 2:24 pm 

Also, Clutch.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2013 3:14 pm 
The Master

Pretty clutch 4th quarter by the Heat last night. Very enjoyable game. I'm glad it was on national TV.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 1224  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports