The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702 ... 1226  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Thread
PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 2:55 pm 
The Master

I've heard a lot of people whine about how the NBA needs to intervene to "fix" this.

What exactly can the league do to avoid players taking less money to play with a team they want to play with? Blocking signings/trades is such a slippery slope.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 2:57 pm 
Gone

If anyone is interested Windhorst was on The Low Post AGAIN this week.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 2:58 pm 
Gone

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've heard a lot of people whine about how the NBA needs to intervene to "fix" this.

What exactly can the league do to avoid players taking less money to play with a team they want to play with? Blocking signings/trades is such a slippery slope.

It can be fixed, Adam

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 2:59 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Monkey_Driven wrote:

There's nothing they should directly do about this.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:01 pm 
Gone

They need to start making some changes slowly to turn the tide back though. Americans will stop giving a shit if the NBA turns into European soccer where the same few teams are at the top each year.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:02 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Monkey_Driven wrote:

The NBA can't do anything. I suppose the players association could put pressure on its members not to take less money in any situation but good luck telling a guy named Boogie what to do.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:03 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It can be fixed, Adam

How? The current CBA runs for several more years and the Warriors have played within the rules. It was the players union that vote against the cap smoothing.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:06 pm 
Gone

Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It can be fixed, Adam

How? The current CBA runs for several more years and the Warriors have played within the rules. It was the players union that vote against the cap smoothing.

Bring back Donald Sterling. Garpax all time GMs for every team.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:11 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It can be fixed, Adam

The confluence of events that has lead to led to the Warriors literally having an all-star team is staggering.

To me the problem isn't having the same few teams at the top every year. That will naturally happen in a sport like basketball. The problem is how anti-competitive it's become. The Warriors have more All-NBA appearances among their starting 5 than the entire eastern conference combined!!! How is that interesting? How is that fun?

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:12 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

It can be fixed, Adam

Bring back Donald Sterling. Garpax all time GMs for every team.

That would do it.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:13 pm 
Gone

This is basically the same as when the 90s bulls snagged bill wennington.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:14 pm 
Gone

Can you imagine if 90s Bulls could have somehow sigend Rick Smits?

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:16 pm 

The players have every right to do what they want to do. Maybe this is all backlash from the morons yelling on twitter about rings above all else. Maybe it's because the contracts are so large that taking a discount isn't that big of a deal anyway. Maybe some owners have found ways around the cap to low key pay players in other creative ways. Idk. But a league with a pre-determined champion isn't very interesting to me. Apparently I'm the only one. 12 year olds seem to love the Warriors so I guess the league will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:16 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
Can you imagine if 90s Bulls could have somehow sigend Rick Smits?

I'd have a beer with Rick Smits.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:18 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
The players have every right to do what they want to do. Maybe this is all backlash from the morons yelling on twitter about rings above all else. Maybe it's because the contracts are so large that taking a discount isn't that big of a deal anyway. Maybe some owners have found ways around the cap to low key pay players in other creative ways. Idk. But a league with a pre-determined champion isn't very interesting to me. Apparently I'm the only one. 12 year olds seem to love the Warriors so I guess the league will be fine.

One of the biggest culprits is how short contracts have become. Teams made them shorter to protect themselves, but it just gave players more power to take a paycut for a season or two and then move on.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Short contracts and the media/fan perceptive that if you don't have a championship you fucking suck. It makes sense to take less money in the short term and guarantee a championship. Once you get that monkey off your back you force your way to whatever team you want to make your money on.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:28 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
Short contracts and the media/fan perceptive that if you don't have a championship you fucking suck. It makes sense to take less money in the short term and guarantee a championship. Once you get that monkey off your back you force your way to whatever team you want to make your money on.

Yup. I blame the talking heads and former players for the ring or bust mentality.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's July 3, you can't concede a fourth title to GSW. Way too many variables throughout the season and playoffs. It's too early to panic.

This actually reminds me of when the '86 Celtics signed Bill Walton.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 3:54 pm 
The Master

Coach wrote:
It's July 3, you can't concede a fourth title to GSW. Way too many variables throughout the season and playoffs. It's too early to panic.

It kinda does.

PostPosted: Tue July 03, 2018 4:13 pm 
Gone

Coach wrote:

Only thing that stops it is injuries. That's it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701, 702 ... 1226  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports