The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101 ... 1226  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 15, 2021 9:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I mean, those other guys could have taken more if they wanted to, but they didn't. Maybe they weren't as confident in their three point shot as Steph is. Those guys were all "greats". No one would have stopped them from taking more

PostPosted: Wed December 15, 2021 9:22 pm 
mXn

Exactly

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 1:31 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm not really sure it is our place to judge or to tell someone how they should act. He's poured thousands of hours of his life into being the absolute best at something and then did it.

I'm starting to think you just hate basketball, bada.

Nah just filling in for Verb till he gets back.

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 3:04 am 
The Master

bada wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm not really sure it is our place to judge or to tell someone how they should act. He's poured thousands of hours of his life into being the absolute best at something and then did it.

I'm starting to think you just hate basketball, bada.

Nah just filling in for Verb till he gets back.

I'll allow it.

PostPosted: Thu December 16, 2021 10:48 pm 
The Master

The entire NBA has entered into health and safety protocols.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 6:52 pm 
The Master

Has the season been paused yet?

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 6:56 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:

I doubt many of these players even have symptoms. Just a product of testing so often. Not sure what good pausing the season would do. Not like Omicron is going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 7:23 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

I doubt many of these players even have symptoms. Just a product of testing so often. Not sure what good pausing the season would do. Not like Omicron is going anywhere.

I dunno, figure they don’t want to march G league out there every night.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 7:54 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Yeah, but what happens if you shut it down and the whole thing happens again?

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 12:30 am 
See you in another life, brother

Pause it for 5 days, get everybody exposed tonight and be back at it with a full league Christmas Day.

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 1:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, those other guys could have taken more if they wanted to, but they didn't. Maybe they weren't as confident in their three point shot as Steph is. Those guys were all "greats". No one would have stopped them from taking more

i think the fact that when those guys played the game was from inside to outside where as with steph its been outside to outside to outside to inside

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 5:17 pm 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Then there will be a lot of 20-something elite athletes running around with the sniffles!

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 5:21 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Then there will be a lot of 20-something elite athletes running around with the sniffles!

They need to just change the policy or ride out most of the league testing positive and proceed from there.

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 5:30 pm 

Peeps wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

i think the fact that when those guys played the game was from inside to outside where as with steph its been outside to outside to outside to inside

A contested two was considered a better shot than a wide open three for the vast majority of the leagues history. If Steph was around back in the 80s yes he would have been capable (or had the unrealized potential) of hitting every shot he can now but Bobby Knight or whoever would have pulled him the first 30 footer he took whether it went in or not. It would have been beaten out of him before he even got to the league. They'd have him dumping it down to the seven footer. Today bad shooters are encouraged to jack 6 threes a game. In 1984 Tiny Archibald would bring the ball down the court and pass it to Larry Bird at the top of the key. Larry would pass it to Cedric Maxwell on the wing and Max would bulldoze into the lane and throw it up. They'd do that over and over and over and over. That was a championship winning offense in the 80s. Larry bringing the ball up himself and shooting a three would have been unthinkable and it wasn't because he wasn't as confident as the 8th best player on any given current NBA roster its because he was coached not too.

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 6:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
Peeps wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

A contested two was considered a better shot than a wide open three for the vast majority of the leagues history. If Steph was around back in the 80s yes he would have been capable (or had the unrealized potential) of hitting every shot he can now but Bobby Knight or whoever would have pulled him the first 30 footer he took whether it went in or not. It would have been beaten out of him before he even got to the league. They'd have him dumping it down to the seven footer. Today bad shooters are encouraged to jack 6 threes a game. In 1984 Tiny Archibald would bring the ball down the court and pass it to Larry Bird at the top of the key. Larry would pass it to Cedric Maxwell on the wing and Max would bulldoze into the lane and throw it up. They'd do that over and over and over and over. That was a championship winning offense in the 80s. Larry bringing the ball up himself and shooting a three would have been unthinkable and it wasn't because he wasn't as confident as the 8th best player on any given current NBA roster its because he was coached not too.

i would counter now though the average nba player is better at shooting 3's then the average nba player then. once you started changing the game with point forwards and centers who could shoot instead of backing people down ala kareem, mikan, shaq etc then the whole dynamic changed. basically point guards were now shooting guards. chris paul may be one of the last true point guards out there (maybe jrue is in this category too)

i dont think steph would have been as limited as you make it out to be. he still wouldnt have gone to a power-school so a coach who had him as his star player with average teammates probably would have let him play to his strengths

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 6:22 pm 

Peeps wrote:
bada wrote:
Peeps wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

i would counter now though the average nba player is better at shooting 3's then the average nba player then. once you started changing the game with point forwards and centers who could shoot instead of backing people down ala kareem, mikan, shaq etc then the whole dynamic changed. basically point guards were now shooting guards. chris paul may be one of the last true point guards out there (maybe jrue is in this category too)

i dont think steph would have been as limited as you make it out to be. he still wouldnt have gone to a power-school so a coach who had him as his star player with average teammates probably would have let him play to his strengths

Yeah we don't disagree the league changed. It's apples and oranges really. Which is why I don't think breaking the record was that big of a deal. You know I suppose Steph could have went to a school where he could do whatever he wanted like Pistol Pete and he probably would have had a similar NBA career.....or maybe he could have revolutionized the game. As far as players today they are certainly bigger, stronger, faster now with a million more advantages. Larry Bird ruined his back shoveling gravel over the summer meanwhile LeBron pays someone to do that while he rests in a cryogenic chamber between virgin blood infusions into his knees. I just don't know that shooting is better or just that players today are encouraged to shoot more and hence got better at it. I think a lack of shooting in past eras was untapped potential more than lack of ability. I don't want it to sound like I think Steph sucks or something I firmly believe he's the best shooter ever.

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 7:23 pm 
mXn

Peeps wrote:
bada wrote:
Peeps wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Pat Bev!

PostPosted: Mon December 20, 2021 7:45 pm 
The Master

Lost in all of this is that Curry is also the best free throw shooter of all time, for all intents and purposes. He's put away dozens of games over the year with clutch free throws.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 12:47 am 

Something is going on at the Celtics/Sixers game some alarm went off during introductions now everyone is just standing around confused. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue December 21, 2021 12:48 am 

lol just a burst pipe!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100, 1101 ... 1226  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports