The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 1226  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 2:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, I could see Sprewell getting ahead of him on my personal list, but the personal issues affected his ability to deliver for the Knicks at the end. A guy like Houston was always a big for me because he was just good and never needed the spotlight. I can't say why I prefer that mentality. I just do.

By the same token, I think all the emotional playoff battles and the back and forth with his relationship to New York made Ewing my personal favorite. He battled injuries, and disappointments, and people looking to cut him down at every pass, but the guy just kept fighting for that ring. Never got it, but he was a special player. We haven't had one like him since.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 2:21 pm 
The Master

Sometimes I hate living in a state with no NBA teams.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 3:29 pm 
See you in another life, brother

liebzz wrote:
Yeah, I could see Sprewell getting ahead of him on my personal list, but the personal issues affected his ability to deliver for the Knicks at the end. A guy like Houston was always a big for me because he was just good and never needed the spotlight. I can't say why I prefer that mentality. I just do.

By the same token, I think all the emotional playoff battles and the back and forth with his relationship to New York made Ewing my personal favorite. He battled injuries, and disappointments, and people looking to cut him down at every pass, but the guy just kept fighting for that ring. Never got it, but he was a special player. We haven't had one like him since.

I always like Allan Houston...well, except when he hit that stupid floater to win game 5 in '99. That Heat-Knicks rivalry in the late 90s had some really compelling moments.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It's been 16 years since that brawl, and I'm still angry at the NBA for the suspensions. Single-handedly cost the Knicks what could have been their one title. The Bulls were certainly great that year, but that was the last year that the Knicks had Ewing in his prime with the great supporting cast that could have taken him over the top. That was the year.

That rivalry was really great and had more bad blood than any other in basketball that I can remember in my lifetime. The Knicks and Bulls in the 90s was intense, but there certainly was a level of respect in that rivalry that did not exist with the Heat. To this day I still want my free punch for Tim Hardaway and PJ Brown. I did always like Alonzo Mourning though.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 11:57 pm 
AnalLog

Bron bron out, Wade out, Chalms out. this is a game the Knicks should win.

which is why they probably won't.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 2:23 pm 
The Master

red calzolaio wrote:

Carmelo had a fantastic game but I love watching the Heat play (even their bench squad). They move the ball so well. I was also watching the Lakers/Celtics 1984 Finals Game 6 at the same time. It is quite startling how few 3 pointers teams took back then. I think only 3-4 were shot in the second half. The spacing was so packed compared to today's game.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 5:41 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

Carmelo had a fantastic game but I love watching the Heat play (even their bench squad). They move the ball so well. I was also watching the Lakers/Celtics 1984 Finals Game 6 at the same time. It is quite startling how few 3 pointers teams took back then. I think only 3-4 were shot in the second half. The spacing was so packed compared to today's game.

it all comes down to fundamentals. the ball movement is great, and every guy knows where he needs to be.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 7:16 pm 
The Master

red calzolaio wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

it all comes down to fundamentals. the ball movement is great, and every guy knows where he needs to be.

Absolutely. It's beautiful to watch.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 3:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Right now, the Knicks are on one of those impossibly great runs that exists for the sole purpose of providing the kind of hope that will result in massive heartbreak a month or less from now. This is yet another conspiracy to rip the heart out of us Knicks lifers. Dutifully meandering to the post season to lose in the first or second round alone wouldn't have hurt enough, so they feel the need to play phenomenally leading up to the postseason just so it hurts a little more. Thanks guys. Let's see if this hurts as much as 2 for 18, Game 5 just f-in dunk it!, the Miami brawl, or basically the entire Glenn Rice era in the ranks of disappointments.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 3:30 pm 
See you in another life, brother

liebzz wrote:
Let's see if this hurts as much as 2 for 18, Game 5 just f-in dunk it!, the Miami brawl, or basically the entire Glenn Rice era in the ranks of disappointments.

It shouldn't. You already realize they're playing outside of what they could realistically sustain and none of this should make anybody think they're going to win the title, or even the East for that matter.

I'm going to be really torn watching a Knicks-Celtics series. I hate Boston much more and they're the tougher matchup for Miami, but there's just something so delightful about the Knicks having gone 10 years without winning a playoff series...and with the irrational noise and confidence currently coming from the NY contingent of Miami it'd be hilarious if they got bounced in the first round.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 3:49 pm 
The Master

I really want a Thunder/Rockets first round matchup. Stop losing Spurs!

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 10:28 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Let's see if this hurts as much as 2 for 18, Game 5 just f-in dunk it!

this got me rolling...and crying.

anyway, i think the Knicks are good to get out of the first round. not really worried about Boston at all and if they face the Hawks that would be even better.

what does have me worried is whether or not guys like Chandler, Martin and Wallace will be ready and contribute by the second round.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 2:25 am 
AnalLog

great job on winning the NBA championship Nate Robinson...

oh wait.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 2:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I get the feeling that the playoffs are going to be really exciting. The Knicks and Celtics will probably play, which will be a hard fought series for certain. You can say the Celtics don't scare you, but Pierce and Garnett, despite their age, always pick it up for the postseason.

Nets-Bulls will be a lot of fun, and watching them last night, even without Rose, I would pick Chicago to win that series in 6 games. The Nets are pretty good, but a team with that kind of chemistry will be dangerous.

And as it stands right now, the compelling nature of seeing Heat-Bulls and Knicks-Pacers in the second round is off the charts great.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
Gone

red calzolaio wrote:

oh wait.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 8:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

verb_to_trust wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

oh wait.

In Nate Robinson's defense, he ripped, so he is allowed to.

I took a few minutes to look at the playoff picture, and I'm even more excited that my post before. The Western Conference spread is even better than the East. I haven't been this excited for an NBA postseason in probably over a dozen years.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 12:28 am 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

oh wait.

I took a few minutes to look at the playoff picture, and I'm even more excited that my post before. The Western Conference spread is even better than the East. I haven't been this excited for an NBA postseason in probably over a dozen years.

The west will be very good. The east may not be. Still should be good.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 1:40 am 
Gone

liebzz wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

oh wait.

Nate is frustrating, but he has probably single handedly won the Bulls at least half a dozen games this year with his 'nateness'.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 3:24 am 
A Return To Form

Y'all realize that this is the Heats championship to lose, right?

A well rested LeBron and Wade are gonna be trouble.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 3:29 am 
AnalLog

verb_to_trust wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:

oh wait.

wahooo!

NBA champs!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 1226  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports