The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Work-Out Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 12:37 am 
Future Drummer

Self wrote:
Struggled with the same, at home. Skip to 2:40, or so.

Thanks. It has great tips for getting the weight to your knees and how to bail on it. I was already using the motion he showed for getting down and back up.

I will check him out more and see if he has tips for incline. That's where I really struggle getting the weights into the right position.

PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 6:39 pm 
See you in another life, brother

No idea if this is what he said or not, here's what I do.

Sit on the seat, back up not against the bench. DBs one on each side parallel to the seat. The DB handles parallel to the seat. Basically do a seated deadlift and pull them up and set them on top of your thighs. The handles vertical, your hands in a neutral grip. Keep elbows tucked, as you lay your back against the bench pull/almost slide the DBs towards your hip bone. When you're ready to start, keeping your elbows tucked pull the weight up to your chest still with a neutral grip. Then when the DBs are at your chest, rotate your hands out and you're in position for the first rep.

PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 7:00 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
No idea if this is what he said or not, here's what I do.

Sit on the seat, back up not against the bench. DBs one on each side parallel to the seat. The DB handles parallel to the seat. Basically do a seated deadlift and pull them up and set them on top of your thighs. The handles vertical, your hands in a neutral grip. Keep elbows tucked, as you lay your back against the bench pull/almost slide the DBs towards your hip bone. When you're ready to start, keeping your elbows tucked pull the weight up to your chest still with a neutral grip. Then when the DBs are at your chest, rotate your hands out and you're in position for the first rep.
Pretty much bang on. Getting them to my knees like that is new and will help. The rest I was doing.

Now have to find something that helps a bit more in getting them from knees to shoulder position during incline benching. I will experiment on variations on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 7:51 pm 
See you in another life, brother

surfndestroy wrote:
Pretty much bang on. Getting them to my knees like that is new and will help. The rest I was doing.

Now have to find something that helps a bit more in getting them from knees to shoulder position during incline benching. I will experiment on variations on Saturday.

:thumbsup:
If you have the DBs up by your hip when you're laid against the bench, getting them to the chest isn't too tough at that point. With your elbows tucked, pull them towards the floor and rotate your hand so that now the DB is laying on you, from the hip going up towards your chest, probably ending somewhere on your rib cage. Then just pull your hands and the DBs towards your chest to your point of comfort. Rotate your hands out of the neutral grip into position to press.

PostPosted: Fri November 20, 2020 8:46 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

:thumbsup:
If you have the DBs up by your hip when you're laid against the bench, getting them to the chest isn't too tough at that point. With your elbows tucked, pull them towards the floor and rotate your hand so that now the DB is laying on you, from the hip going up towards your chest, probably ending somewhere on your rib cage. Then just pull your hands and the DBs towards your chest to your point of comfort. Rotate your hands out of the neutral grip into position to press.

That's pretty much what I do but I have serious rotator cuff issues on one side and that last bit from upper chest to DB swung out in lifting position is very tough on me. I end up doing a really weird twist to get dumbbell in position that is really hard on my back. Was really hoping there was some new, magical way. In my searching I found some new rotator cuff exercises that may help (thanks Self), fingers crossed. Or I just tap out at 60 or 65 lbs on inclines and wait for a Covid protocols to pass and they get barbells back in the gym.
Part of me thinks "I'm 55, how fit do I need to be" but I am vain and like how shirts fit and look when I'm fit and I think my girlfriend deserves a man who keeps himself somewhat in shape.

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 8:10 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Believe it or not I actually went the to gym this morning.
Since working from home I've gotten a little bit of a belly. I worked on the fifth floor and took the stairs everyday, up and down at least 2-3 times a day. There was a quarter mile walking track that I would do at least two laps everyday in all but the most inclement weather. That doesn't happen working from home but increased snacking does. Plus it's the time of year that people tend to put on a few extra pounds with the cooler weather, although this year the social aspect isn't there nearly as much.
Plus when I gain weight it doesn't spread evenly; it all goes to my belly. I get that skinny fat look with a pooched out gut.

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 8:18 pm 
The Master

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Believe it or not I actually went the to gym this morning.
Since working from home I've gotten a little bit of a belly. I worked on the fifth floor and took the stairs everyday, up and down at least 2-3 times a day. There was a quarter mile walking track that I would do at least two laps everyday in all but the most inclement weather. That doesn't happen working from home but increased snacking does. Plus it's the time of year that people tend to put on a few extra pounds with the cooler weather, although this year the social aspect isn't there nearly as much.
Plus when I gain weight it doesn't spread evenly; it all goes to my belly. I get that skinny fat look with a pooched out gut.

what's your height and weight?

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 1:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I skated 32kms today. wooww

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 1:12 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Dev wrote:

I got a call from Newfoundland this morning at 6:18 am.

Me "hello"

Them ""hi did your just call me?"

Me: no

Them:. No

Me:. Click

What that you?

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 1:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

knee tunes wrote:
Dev wrote:

Me "hello"

What that you?

im not a newfie sorry

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 1:24 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Dev wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
Dev wrote:

Me "hello"

What that you?

im not a newfie sorry

It's ok

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 9:13 pm 
AnalLog

My wife and I have been itching to step up our exercise, but aren't ready to hit the gym, or pay the membership fees, with the masks on. So, we got into HIIT workouts on youtube. Nourish, Move, Love is pretty intense. I've done 7 workouts so far and i'm sore after each one.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nourish+move+love[/YouTube]

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 3:13 am 
The Master

Hatfield wrote:
My wife and I have been itching to step up our exercise, but aren't ready to hit the gym, or pay the membership fees, with the masks on. So, we got into HIIT workouts on youtube. Nourish, Move, Love is pretty intense. I've done 7 workouts so far and i'm sore after each one.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nourish+move+love[/YouTube]

how much can you bench?

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 3:14 am 
The Master

i hate hiit so much

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 6:16 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I went to the gym this morning. There was a decent number of people there; I've noticed it almost seems back to normal in terms of crowds lately.

PostPosted: Sun March 07, 2021 8:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

Hatfield wrote:

Heather Robertson

PostPosted: Mon March 08, 2021 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

On a good run of going four times a week. On a good roll, having missed only four sessions since gyms reopened in October. Starting to throw in some biking and hiking. Hope to be in a good place by beginning of May.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 6:10 pm 
AnalLog

daft twat wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

Heather Robertson

Thanks. I'm new to this type of exercise.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone ever try or look into Intermittent fasting? My wife and I have been doing the 16/8 for the last two weeks and we both our enjoying the effects.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 1:51 am 
The Master

i really really really want to try to get rid of my gut and i know i will need to eat differently...but i'm not sure what workouts other than some form of HIIT would be good as i'm also doing minor strength training as well

i'm pretty sure i won't be able to keep up the proper diet long term to not have belly fat, but i just want to see if i can get there once

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 2:28 pm 
The Master

Been on a huge kick the past two weeks.

Recently got my wahoo sensors for cadence and speed mounted to my stationary bike and the arm band heart rate monitor

Signed up for zoom

down 2.5 lbs in a week.

Intense bike workouts, hiking, skiing, no drinking.

Feeling good

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 137  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports