The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Work-Out Thread
PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 10:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

has anyone done intermittent fasting?

todays my first day and im going for the 16/8 variety

wont have my first meal until 10am. last meal will be no later than 6pm

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 9:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:

If you just eat when you’re hungry during those 8 hours, you’ll see results. If you binge because you think you’ve earned it or you’re trying to stave off hunger, you’ll be disappointed. Personally, when I do it, I don’t eat until my regular lunchtime, which is generally closer to noon. This allows for a snack when I get home pre-workout, dinner at 6 post-workout, and then a snack between 7:30 and 8.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 11:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

If you just eat when you’re hungry during those 8 hours, you’ll see results. If you binge because you think you’ve earned it or you’re trying to stave off hunger, you’ll be disappointed. Personally, when I do it, I don’t eat until my regular lunchtime, which is generally closer to noon. This allows for a snack when I get home pre-workout, dinner at 6 post-workout, and then a snack between 7:30 and 8.

im going 10a-6pm

normally my eating goes 6am protein shake, 10am a bag of chex mix, 1145 lunch, 5pm dinner, then 7pm snack

i think its going to be (as is all things with me) mental. will i still be able to lift heavy having not eaten in 10 hours, even though i normally lift heavy after not eating for 9 hours? the mind is a great weapon against oneself

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 1:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Peeps wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

im going 10a-6pm

normally my eating goes 6am protein shake, 10am a bag of chex mix, 1145 lunch, 5pm dinner, then 7pm snack

i think its going to be (as is all things with me) mental. will i still be able to lift heavy having not eaten in 10 hours, even though i normally lift heavy after not eating for 9 hours? the mind is a great weapon against oneself

im a big fan. trimmed down, more energy, improved mood, more regular/less stomach issues.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 10:27 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

improved as in you're nicer to people? fuck that

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 12:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

:D less getting "hangry"

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 1:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

im going 10a-6pm

You should be able to lift. I just hope you’re eating afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i work out from 4am-515, get to work around 6a, then eat at 10am

ill give this a go for the week and see how i feel and adjust accordingly

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 7:13 pm 
Polluted

Haven't lifted a thing in 2 weeks due to a pinched nerve. I know it started at the gym, but I was too stubborn to lay off. Most of you are smarter than me I'm sure, but listen to your body. I wish I did. What would've been fine in a week or two is probably gonna take a month, now. And it hurt like a motherfucker for a few days. Now it only hurts like hell every so often.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 7:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Self wrote:
Haven't lifted a thing in 2 weeks due to a pinched nerve. I know it started at the gym, but I was too stubborn to lay off. Most of you are smarter than me I'm sure, but listen to your body. I wish I did. What would've been fine in a week or two is probably gonna take a month, now. And it hurt like a motherfucker for a few days. Now it only hurts like hell every so often.

I'd probably do the same as you - in fact I did when I tore my rotator cuff and made it a lot worse

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 6:31 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Did DT in 19:29 today. So that’s about 10 mins off the first time I did it. Still a long way to go, though. Between that and rowing my conditioning is definitely improving. Feels good.

Squatted 305 3x5 to depth on Monday, felt good. Tomorrow 315 3x5. Cleans, rows, chins, everything is doing well right now except my bench, but that’s to be expected since I’m an a caloric deficit. Just trying to minimize the losses on bench for now.

PostPosted: Thu August 02, 2018 1:05 pm 
Polluted

Rangi Guy wrote:
Self wrote:

I'd probably do the same as you - in fact I did when I tore my rotator cuff and made it a lot worse

Yeah, I wish I was smarter. Most the pain has subsided, but I was unaware of some of the side effects. My left triceps is now useless. Before this happened, I could get 10 reps of 45-50 pounds, when isolating it. I tried ease back in the other day, and could not budge 20. It was actually kinda scary before I read up on it. It's going to be a long road back to where I was. The arm looks like shit now and it's only been a month.

PostPosted: Thu August 02, 2018 10:18 pm 

Squat 315 3x5
Circuit: 3 rounds of cleans @155x3, RDL and barbell row @205x8.
Just for fun shrugs 315x15

Rowed this morning, but my form needs work, my SPM is really high compared to my pace, so I have some work to do on that.

PostPosted: Fri August 03, 2018 2:47 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I still do my weight work 3x a week but I admit it's been half hearted of late.
More disappointingly is that my gym cut their evening pilates classes. I was a in a good habit of going Tuesday/Thursday and that made as noticeable difference in my midsection as anything I have ever done. Unfortunately not going has made a noticeable difference too.
I did try to take up spinning over the spring/summer but if I went regularly my knees would get achy.

PostPosted: Wed August 08, 2018 11:44 pm 

325 3x5 Squats.

Still doing DT for conditioning. I was able to do each of the first two rounds unbroken, so there's some improvement. Finished the first three rounds in 8:35. Of course the last two took longer than that, but glass half full and whatnot.

PostPosted: Mon August 27, 2018 5:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

scale read 213 this past weekend

my goal is by the 21st of september to be 205
second goal is to be under 200 by oct 6

im not sure how realistic these are considering the calories i eat in order to work out in the morning but ive probably dropped 15 or so pounds the last three months in combination with the workout plan im following and the intermittent fasting for the past month

PostPosted: Thu August 30, 2018 2:06 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Skipped seven days when I went out west earlier in the month.
Planning to go this afternoon which will make five gym trips in six days.
And then off for four when I go out of town for the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 6:35 pm 

My conditioning's gotten a lot better over the last six weeks or so and I've almost gotten my body fat back down to the "athlete" category, but on the other hand my strength has taken a nosedive. Just a couple more weeks of cutting. I'm looking forward to getting back to maintenance level calories and getting this strength back.

I really wish I had access to a strongman's yoke and prowler for conditioning.

PostPosted: Tue September 04, 2018 6:47 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
My conditioning's gotten a lot better over the last six weeks or so and I've almost gotten my body fat back down to the "athlete" category, but on the other hand my strength has taken a nosedive. Just a couple more weeks of cutting. I'm looking forward to getting back to maintenance level calories and getting this strength back.

I'm not sure we have the same goals, but I'm loving a 30/~10 bulk/cut split. I lift for a full month, and then spend around ten days (sometimes two full weeks) swimming as intensely as I can to cut. That usually amounts to eight-to-ten sessions of 1500-2000m, mostly in 50m or 100m sprints. Swimming also has the benefit of working a lot of smaller muscles that get neglected in most lifting programs.

PostPosted: Wed September 05, 2018 3:14 pm 

--- wrote:
4/5 wrote:

I'm not sure we have the same goals, but I'm loving a 30/~10 bulk/cut split. I lift for a full month, and then spend around ten days (sometimes two full weeks) swimming as intensely as I can to cut. That usually amounts to eight-to-ten sessions of 1500-2000m, mostly in 50m or 100m sprints. Swimming also has the benefit of working a lot of smaller muscles that get neglected in most lifting programs.

Yeah I'd definitely like to incorporate more swimming for conditioning. My main goal has been strength. I finally decided I had put on too much weight in pursuit of that goal so i had to correct it. Thankfully cutting has proven to be as easy for me as I always thought it would be. My inner ectomorph has reasserted its dominance in the last 6 weeks or so.

My biggest problem was that because it's tough for me to put on mass I essentially stopped all cardio and conditioning out of fear of cannibalizing potential gains. This was very foolish, but now I think I have figured out how to maintain a good balance going forward: eat pretty well, but not as strictly as I'm eating right now, lift heavy 4x a week with light cardio after, and do conditioning work twice a week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 137  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports