The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atlanta Braves
PostPosted: Tue September 10, 2013 6:52 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

2014 schedule is out.
They open at Milwaukee March 31st and then to Washington. Home opener is against the Met on April. They finish in Philadelphia.
Interleague games are at Texas & Houston, A's here and a home/home pair of two game series with Boston & Seattle.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 12:29 pm 

4-9 in their last 13 and not looking all that sharp as the season dwindles. I know anything can happen in the postseason and October is a crapshoot but haven't we seen this movie before?

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 12:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
4-9 in their last 13 and not looking all that sharp as the season dwindles. I know anything can happen in the postseason and October is a crapshoot but haven't we seen this movie before?

yes, but as long as we can avoid warning track infield flies this year then i think they will be ok

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2013 2:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

streaky lineup. I can forgive Simmons and Kimbrell screwing up one day in a year.

They just need to go ahead clinch, try and get home field and get healthy.

This month doesn't matter much, we knew this was going to happen after Heyward got hit in the face and Terrible BJ and Uggla had to play more.

If there's any good news from this it's that they could be hot again by the playoffs, and the pitching is still good.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 11:54 am 

For better or worse the image of McCann standing before homeplate is going to be one of the most memorable ones of the season. It's coincidental it happened a couple weeks after a similiar incident in Miami but Gomez was definitely the instigator this time around. He had that crazy eye look to him on the swing before the home run.
Let's hope that's not McCann last memorable image in a Braves uniform.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 12:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
For better or worse the image of McCann standing before homeplate is going to be one of the most memorable ones of the season. It's coincidental it happened a couple weeks after a similiar incident in Miami but Gomez was definitely the instigator this time around. He had that crazy eye look to him on the swing before the home run.

what happened?

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 1:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

what happened?

Gomez made Atlanta his bitch. I don't even know why he apologized. I would have ran right through McCann.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 5:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

Harry Lime wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

what happened?

Gomez made Atlanta his bitch. I don't even know why he apologized. I would have ran right through McCann.

For what reacting like a 1st grader to hitting a home run of Paul Maholm? No one even understood why he was so excited. Good, news the seasons over in about 3 days and he can sulk over his 5 month old sore knee for the entire offseason.

I have my own problems with the Braves for trying to be the baseball morality police, but please, Gomez is a fucking tool.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Brian McCann and Chris Johnson are both major tools. Instead of apologizing, Jose Fernandez should have punched him in the face.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 7:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

I don't understand the reaction people take to breaking these "unwritten rules". Yeah, it shows more class not to stand there and watch the ball go out, but get the fuck over yourself if you have a problem with it enough to stand in the baseline and get in the dudes face over it. Huge over reaction.

PostPosted: Mon November 11, 2013 3:03 pm 

Originally put this in the MLB thread but more appropriate here:

News broke today that the Braves will be getting a new stadium for the '17 season. The only thing wrong with 16 year old Turner Field? Location, location, location. The new place will be on the more affluent northside of town and will most certainly have more things to do around them than their current alone in the ghetto site.

PostPosted: Mon November 11, 2013 3:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Originally put this in the MLB thread but more appropriate here:

News broke today that the Braves will be getting a new stadium for the '17 season. The only thing wrong with 16 year old Turner Field? Location, location, location. The new place will be on the more affluent northside of town and will most certainly have more things to do around them than their current alone in the ghetto site.

Keep in mind the Braves have the worst media deal in the league brought on by former owners and they do not own Turner Field. They have a corporate owner, the only way they are going to compete is to have other revenue streams.

The south of town sites for the stadiums is fairly far away from most of the families who go to baseball games and the ingress/egress sucks, not to mention that there's just not much reason to go early or hang out like there is in other big league cities, I'm honestly not sure the Galleria is a good spot either frankly, but I imagine that the braves will have more input.

Turner Field is a fine place to see a game once you get in and it's a beautiful stadium. I'm doubtful that it needs 100 million or more of upgrades but it does need some work. It's overblown that it's in a terrible location now but it was stupid to not put it next to a marta station, and moving to Cobb County is making exactly the same stupid mistake unless CCT plans a train from North Springs and or somewhere on the East West line.

The thing is, it's not really that much closer to affluence. It's another traffic laden horrible intersection.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

$23 million for two years? Didn't want to see Tim Hudson go but that was too high of a price to keep him.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 1:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
$23 million for two years? Didn't want to see Tim Hudson go but that was too high of a price to keep him.

very sad to see him go

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 2:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Good for Huddy 11.5 a year to go back to the Bay Area. He and his wife and family have been as good to the Braves and the community as people can be.

He had a great 9 years here, but that's a much better deal than he was going to get to stay. The Braves need to find an ace and preferably a guy that can strike a lot of people out.

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 11:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mccann might be heading to the yankees :gomez:

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 8:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Is headed to the Yankees 5 years 85 with an option for 6.

Good for him, I hope he's awesome for them too.

I have a bad feeling the league is going to figure out Gatis at the plate

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 8:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I wish it was more common for players to play their whole career with one team these days

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 9:19 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah, we need to go back to the good old days of collusion.

PostPosted: Mon November 25, 2013 2:20 am 
Rank This Poster

I would say I hate that I won't get to see him play anymore but he'll be on ESPN every freaking day so it's a wash. I'll miss him though, probably the funniest Brave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports