The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Atlanta Braves
PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2013 8:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

Jim F-ing Leyritz

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2013 9:10 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

The old days of TBS :heartbeat:
I've done a few road games & agree that PNC is a gem. I'll have to check out the schedule & see if I swing another somewhere, maybe one of the AL games? Running out of new nearby places (PIT, CIN, CHI, STL, HOU and DEN are checked off) for a quick trip.

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2013 9:36 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

From 91-99 the Braves competed for the World Series basically every year. They obviously won in 95 and lost in 91, 92, 96, and 99. Here is how I rank each season on a scale of 1-10. 10 being that we absolutely blew a chance to win the World Series and a 1 being the team wasn't great and had no business being a World Series contender.

1991- World Series Loss, Game 7
Bust Rating: 10
Lonnie Smith ruined game 7 when he got tricked into slowing up by Chuck Knoblauch and didn't score on a hit and run double by Terry Pendelton. If Lonnie Smith scores, Smoltz delivers the trophy.

1992- World Series Loss, Game 6
Bust Rating: 7
The Braves couldn't get the hit they needed in the bottom of the 11 with John Smoltz in position to tie the game. I would have loved our chances to win game 7.

1993- NLCS Loss, Game 6
Bust Rating 8
This series is especially frustrating. In game 1, we tied the game in the ninth inning only to fail to score in the 10th and lose in the bottom of the tenth. Then, the Braves won games 2 and 3 in dominate fashion and seemed to be coasting to another World Series. Instead a game 4 loss 2-1, yet another wasted playoff gem by John Smoltz. Game 5 was a 4-3 loss that Wohlers gagged up. Maddux wasn't great in game six and the season was over.

1994- No World Series
1995- World Champions

1996- World Series Loss, Game 6
Bust Factor: 10
This is the number 1 bust in the whole run. 2 dominating wins in Yankee Stadium. Glavine blows up game 3, cant hold the 6-0 lead in game 4, and game 5 is what John Smoltz told me was the greatest game he ever pitched but we couldn't get him a run. Game 6 was over as soon as the Yankees got up 3-0. Ouch.

1997- NLCS Loss, Game 6
Bust Factor: 7
I would have lost a lot of money on this if I gambled because there was no way I thought the Marlins would defeat us in a 7 game series. Maddux going 0-2 and Kevin Brown going 2-0 was the difference in the series. Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine were 1-4 in the Series.

1998- NLCS Loss, Game 6
Bust Factor: 6
Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux lined up for games 1,2,3 and the Padres won all 3. Greg? Maddux needed to get a save in Game 5 after John Rocker blew up just to force game 6. Another elimination at home in game 6. It would have been nice to force a game 7 at least one time in 96,97,98.

1999- WS Loss, Game 4
Bust Factor:3
The Yankees were the much better team. The Braves did well to make the World Series in 99. Game 3 was the only close game. The Yankees won the series 21-9. This series doesn't bother me. The Yankees were better.

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2013 9:38 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
The old days of TBS :heartbeat:
I've done a few road games & agree that PNC is a gem. I'll have to check out the schedule & see if I swing another somewhere, maybe one of the AL games? Running out of new nearby places (PIT, CIN, CHI, STL, HOU and DEN are checked off) for a quick trip.

Red Mosquito Braves fan meet up at PNC this Summer?

I have been to Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, and Wrigley.

PNC is my favorite.

EDIT: The Braves are in Pittsburgh for 4 games in April. Thursday the 18th through Sunday the 21st

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2013 12:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

TBS also made me a braves fan growing up, i was a fan of the old NWA wrestling(eventually became WCW ) and the braves would come on after the Saturday night and Sunday night wrestling shows so i would watch and i fell in love with them, started really paying attention to them in 89 i think

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2013 3:56 am 
Gone

Too many Uptons on this team....

PostPosted: Sat February 23, 2013 4:52 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
TBS also made me a braves fan growing up, i was a fan of the old NWA wrestling(eventually became WCW ) and the braves would come on after the Saturday night and Sunday night wrestling shows so i would watch and i fell in love with them, started really paying attention to them in 89 i think

Pretty much exactly how I got into them. NWA got me to TBS then TBS got me the braves.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 1:02 pm 

One down, one sixty one to go. I understand why they do but this day off after the opened is annoying and it looks like Thursday's game going to be a rain out.
It would be a disappoint not to make the playoffs but I think it will the wildcard again too. The pitching's good enough (decent starters with a strong pen) but I like the bats this year; I think you'll see lots of 7-5 type scores. My money is on Freddie Freeman to become the next big breakout starting now. But I think we'll continue to cover our eyes with Uggla, though I doubt he'll be as awful as last year at the plate.
I'd be lying if I claimed to pay attention to every pitch but it's just great to to have the Braves on again when at a bar or in the back ground at a party. Hope to make it to more than two games this year too. Definitely glad the season has started!
On a partially related note it sucks that ESPN has relagated Buster Olney to Insider only.

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2013 3:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

nice win last night, and really nice that i got to see most of the game, im hoping they have a decent amount on tv this year.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2013 12:33 pm 

Surprised they were able to get last night's game in; don't expect them to play tonight's but we'll see.
Another nice night at the plate. Got to feel good for Evan Gattis. The guy can rake, they just have to find a position for him. Of course the pre-season prediction about a ton of strikeouts has proved true after two game.
Meanwhile Halladay just did not have it all. Wonder if he's ever going to be the old Doc again?

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2013 1:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

Justin Upton on pace for 162 HR's

Thanks Arizona.

PostPosted: Sun April 07, 2013 5:42 pm 

Electromatic wrote:

And still is.
Wow, exciting win last night. Sucks that Freeman is DL'ed. Hopefully the oblique strain is minor. Hate that he's going to be out but this early no need to let that linger, especially on a power hitter.

PostPosted: Sun April 07, 2013 8:20 pm 
Gone

Man, it sucks being a Cubs fan. Props to Atlanta on the comeback but I could have told you Marmol was going to melt down.....it could have been a little league team out there. It was inevitable.

PostPosted: Mon April 08, 2013 2:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
Man, it sucks being a Cubs fan. Props to Atlanta on the comeback but I could have told you Marmol was going to melt down.....it could have been a little league team out there. It was inevitable.

The starting pitching looks pretty good anyway. Here's hoping that intelligent people come to the Cubs organization soon.

117,000 people went to that series last weekend Cubs and Braves fans and basketball fans alike. Whole lot of positive signs on this end even with the multitudes of expected strikeouts.

PostPosted: Mon April 08, 2013 2:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

And still is.
Wow, exciting win last night. Sucks that Freeman is DL'ed. Hopefully the oblique strain is minor. Hate that he's going to be out but this early no need to let that linger, especially on a power hitter.

he is on the 15 day right? hopefully it isnt much longer then that anyway.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 4:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

Watching Justin Upton make a near routine catch on a ball that was ripped to the gap brings me great joy

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 2:07 am 
See you in another life, brother

Evan Gattis is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 2:12 am 
Gone

I might have been wrong about the Uptons and the Braves in general this year. Its still early though...

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 2:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
Evan Gattis is awesome.

So this pro baseball thing, it's pretty easy no?

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 5:58 am 
Banned from the Pit

Apparently this team doesn't buy into the "win a few, lose a few" routine :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports