The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Is shoveling snow awful?
Yes 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Re: Shoveling Snow
PostPosted: Fri February 14, 2014 5:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

malice wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
And realistically, Shoveling Snow is about the only outdoor activity that about 40% of the board has been able to do for the past 2 months.

I vote to rename it the Arizona forum

How about we call it the Phoenix forum since half of the state gets snow regularly.

PostPosted: Sat February 15, 2014 3:59 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

@SkitchP wrote:
So yesterday evening, while my kids were at swim class, I went birthday shopping for my daughter. There is a back entrance to a Toys R Us that goes through another parking lot that I normally enter through. I go up the little hill into the extra parking lot between the two business only to discover it hadn't been plowed. At all. Probably 15 inches of unplowed snow.

At this point Im all in. There are one set of tracks and an opening at the end, about as wide as my car. I get about 10 feet from the end and the car stops moving. Normally cutting the wheel and gassing it in reverse, or forward Ive always been able to get out. Not this time. Fully 100% stuck, and the worst part was i was in between the 4 foot tall plow piles. Anyone who has shoveled knows that plowed snow is the absolute worst. Wet, Icy, Salty and heavy as hell. So I try and free up the wheels by moving snow with my hand with absolutely no success. I had to call my wife to bring me our snow shovel.

She shows up 45 minutes later and I take the shovel and have to shovel
the 10 feet in front of my car, and all the snow around the wheels. And still nothing. At that point I realize it wasnt the wheels that were caught, but so much snow built up under the car had actually lifted the front end, so I had to lay down and delicately pull snow out from under the car. Finally got enough out and broke free without help, or a tow. Masculinity unharmed.

And man, I am feeling it in my back and shoulders today.

Please tell me she pulled up right next to you, handed you the shovel, and then drove off

PostPosted: Sat February 15, 2014 2:27 pm 
RM Elitist

knee tunes wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
So yesterday evening, while my kids were at swim class, I went birthday shopping for my daughter. There is a back entrance to a Toys R Us that goes through another parking lot that I normally enter through. I go up the little hill into the extra parking lot between the two business only to discover it hadn't been plowed. At all. Probably 15 inches of unplowed snow.

At this point Im all in. There are one set of tracks and an opening at the end, about as wide as my car. I get about 10 feet from the end and the car stops moving. Normally cutting the wheel and gassing it in reverse, or forward Ive always been able to get out. Not this time. Fully 100% stuck, and the worst part was i was in between the 4 foot tall plow piles. Anyone who has shoveled knows that plowed snow is the absolute worst. Wet, Icy, Salty and heavy as hell. So I try and free up the wheels by moving snow with my hand with absolutely no success. I had to call my wife to bring me our snow shovel.

the 10 feet in front of my car, and all the snow around the wheels. And still nothing. At that point I realize it wasnt the wheels that were caught, but so much snow built up under the car had actually lifted the front end, so I had to lay down and delicately pull snow out from under the car. Finally got enough out and broke free without help, or a tow. Masculinity unharmed.

Please tell me she pulled up right next to you, handed you the shovel, and then drove off

She had the kids, and I knew it was going to take awhile so I told her to go home.

PostPosted: Sat February 15, 2014 6:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

@SkitchP wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

She had the kids, and I knew it was going to take awhile so I told her to go home.

No Hopslam to go with the shovel?

PostPosted: Sun February 16, 2014 2:51 am 
Future Drummer

It's exercise I enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon February 17, 2014 5:01 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

I enjoy it, but I keep that a secret. That way I get props from the girlfriend.

PostPosted: Mon February 17, 2014 10:06 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I mostly enjoy shoveling snow. I put on an episode of Marc Maron or something and zone out. I have a pretty large driveway and it's uphill so it's a good workout. When we get three feet at once or when it's so bad I have to shovel the roof it sucks but that's like once a year maybe. It would be easier if I just broke down and bought a snow blower like everyone else on the street but I don't want to spend the money on something that I only wish I had a few times a year.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports