The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: leg days
PostPosted: Tue September 19, 2023 3:35 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Shut up idiot

You're right.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 5:30 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Yesterday:
Deadlifts
365 6x5

Squats
315 3x5

Insane volume on deads. Pull again on Friday 435 5x2 and then 1xamrap. We'll see how it goes. Never done a high volume deadlift program before.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 5:38 pm 
Production Police

I've not done any deadlifts in my routine. What's the benefit? Seems like it falls under "full body" rather than "target muscle groups," is that correct?

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 6:27 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
I've not done any deadlifts in my routine. What's the benefit? Seems like it falls under "full body" rather than "target muscle groups," is that correct?

It's the King of Lifts!

Yeah, basically your whole posterior chain: hamstrings, glutes, lower, back, mid back, traps, plus forearms. Traditionally, people either deadlift on leg or back/pull day. Benefit, like most moves, is strength, getting good at picking heavy things and putting them back down again lol. Along with squats, heavy intense deadlifts allegedly release a lot of GH. Idk. I love them. I wouldn't discount the intangible hard work/mental strength side of it as well.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 6:41 pm 
Production Police

4/5 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It's the King of Lifts!

Yeah, basically your whole posterior chain: hamstrings, glutes, lower, back, mid back, traps, plus forearms. Traditionally, people either deadlift on leg or back/pull day. Benefit, like most moves, is strength, getting good at picking heavy things and putting them back down again lol. Along with squats, heavy intense deadlifts allegedly release a lot of GH. Idk. I love them. I wouldn't discount the intangible hard work/mental strength side of it as well.

:thumbsup: I'll try some tonight. Any starting weight you'd suggest if I'm 145lbs?

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 6:51 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
4/5 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It's the King of Lifts!

:thumbsup: I'll try some tonight. Any starting weight you'd suggest if I'm 145lbs?

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 6:51 pm 
The Master

also research proper form, there is ton of nuance to that lift.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 6:54 pm 
Production Police

the jacked bro on youtube only did 70lbs, you trying to kill me?!

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 7:48 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
4/5 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It's the King of Lifts!

Yeah, form is everything. I'll try to find a link in a few minutes to something helpful.

Starting weight is a little tricky, but does your gym have bumper plates? I'd say 95 pounds (25 on each side). If you don't have access to bumper plates, put each 25 on something to elevate them about 2-3 inches off the ground. You could set a 45 pound weight on each side and then the 25 standing on them.

If you don't elevate it, it'll be like you're doing a deficit deadlift since the 25s aren't as tall as the 45s and that's not ideal. You'll get to 135 in no time and won't have to worry about this for long.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 7:59 pm 

The Setup:
-The bar should be over your midfoot, which should be about 2 inches or so in front of your shin.

-Feet width is mostly a comfort thing. Stand as if you were getting ready to jump, that's a natural starting point. If it feels too narrow or wide then adjust. This isn't right or wrong. Toes pointed slightly out.

-Start by standing with slight knee bend; when you reach down to grip the bar, bend only at the hips.

-Once the bar is in hand, bring your shins forward until they're touching the bar. This will be all the knee bend you need and will drop your butt down.

The pull:
-Keep the bar in contact with your legs the whole time and basically just stand up.

-Your arms are just levers, you should never feel them at any point in the movement.

-Smooth and controlled.

-After your hips come forward, the pull is over. Pause and then bring the bar down exactly how you brought it up. The descent should be the mirror of the ascent.

-Bring it down controlled. Let it come to a full stop at the floor, no momentum. If it's gotten off line at all, reposition yourself before the next pull.

Keep the reps low. I'd advice 3 sets of 5.

Video yourself from the side if you can. As perpendicular as possible.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2023 8:16 pm 

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2023 12:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:
96583UP wrote:
i just bike ride, like 5-10 miles per day

and skip the rest of this BS

i don't do weights though

only bruce lee exercises (chinups, pushups, situps, legups)

so the bike rides are fine enough to maintain balance

weights are for perverts

How is your core?

jolly and gay

pretty fantastic these days

i do a variety of situp types and leg lifts to work all areas

when i do chinups I rock legs back and up into leg lifts with them

i must be one with the force of the universe

not against it

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2023 2:57 am 
The Master

I just did two 45 second wall sits, with around a 30 second break between them. The first felt worse.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2023 3:35 am 
The Master

96583UP wrote:
spike wrote:
96583UP wrote:
i just bike ride, like 5-10 miles per day

and skip the rest of this BS

i don't do weights though

only bruce lee exercises (chinups, pushups, situps, legups)

so the bike rides are fine enough to maintain balance

weights are for perverts

How is your core?

jolly and gay

pretty fantastic these days

i do a variety of situp types and leg lifts to work all areas

when i do chinups I rock legs back and up into leg lifts with them

i must be one with the force of the universe

not against it

soy gay

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2023 2:12 pm 

435 5x2, 1x5 on Saturday

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2023 5:58 pm 

405x10 this week. Plus a couple deficit triples @ 355 on the way back down.

365x3 405x3 445x6 last week.

455xamrap next week.

Currently, my calculated 1rm is 540, I'm looking forward to trying to make that my actual 1rm soon.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports