The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 245  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 3:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
Yeah, I haven't looked up the details, but I'm thinking it's safe to say Toronto got the worse end of both trades involving Kessel.

And the Tuukka trade is comical.

The second Kessel trade was almost entirely about dumping his long-term salary. They got Kasperi Kapenen (who I think is going to be a really good player) and flipped the first round pick for Frederik Anderson, who has been their first reliable goalie since Belfour. Hell, even the first Kessel trade was more about mis-judging the calibre of the team (and ultimately the quality of the picks) than any issue with trading for Kessel.

I mean... all of this could have been avoided by just not making the first Kessel trade and keeping Rask instead of Pogge and instead building the team around Seguin, Hamilton, and Rask... but trading Kessel was just fine.

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 4:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Yeah, I haven't looked up the details, but I'm thinking it's safe to say Toronto got the worse end of both trades involving Kessel.

The second Kessel trade was almost entirely about dumping his long-term salary. They got Kasperi Kapenen (who I think is going to be a really good player) and flipped the first round pick for Frederik Anderson, who has been their first reliable goalie since Belfour. Hell, even the first Kessel trade was more about mis-judging the calibre of the team (and ultimately the quality of the picks) than any issue with trading for Kessel.

I mean... all of this could have been avoided by just not making the first Kessel trade and keeping Rask instead of Pogge and instead building the team around Seguin, Hamilton, and Rask... but trading Kessel was just fine.

Thanks. And don't forget Jared Knight was taken with TOR's 2nd round pick the same year Seguin was #2 overall. Maybe TOR would have picked Justin Faulk or Tyler Toffoli instead of Knight in that round. John Klingberg was pick in the 5th round that year, so every team can kick themselves for not taking him.

Now that I had the chance to look things up and although I'll agree that Anderson & Kapenen is a good haul for Kessel, TOR traded Kessel just before his age 27-32 seasons (he's still so young). And, although he's still costing them $1.2M against the cap, he's still not as big an anchor as Tim Gleason. WTF happened there?

PostPosted: Fri April 20, 2018 5:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Thanks. And don't forget Jared Knight was taken with TOR's 2nd round pick the same year Seguin was #2 overall. Maybe TOR would have picked Justin Faulk or Tyler Toffoli instead of Knight in that round. John Klingberg was pick in the 5th round that year, so every team can kick themselves for not taking him.

Now that I had the chance to look things up and although I'll agree that Anderson & Kapenen is a good haul for Kessel, TOR traded Kessel just before his age 27-32 seasons (he's still so young). And, although he's still costing them $1.2M against the cap, he's still not as big an anchor as Tim Gleason. WTF happened there?

Dave Nonis happened.

PostPosted: Sat April 21, 2018 5:47 am 
AnalLog

My Avs. Holy crap.

PostPosted: Sat April 21, 2018 11:16 am 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

Dave Nonis happened.
:lol:

scrub12 wrote:
My Avs. Holy crap.
They live another day!

PostPosted: Sat April 21, 2018 7:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

go Avs

PostPosted: Sun April 22, 2018 10:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

all those beer cans being thrown and phil is just looking to see if anyone throws a hotdog

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
The Master

Wild just let their GM go. Thank heavens. Sure, i appreciate making it to the playoffs on a regular basis but geezes....enough with the 1st/second round exits.

Super excited for change. he has made so many awful trades and signings.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 8:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Wild just let their GM go. Thank heavens. Sure, i appreciate making it to the playoffs on a regular basis but geezes....enough with the 1st/second round exits.

Yeah, but the owner thinks we’re just a tweek away from contending and made it clear he will only hire a gm who feels the same. 6 lame playoff appearances in a row means we need to start over.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 1:56 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Kudos to the leafs and their efforts, but this smells of HOFer Jacobs manufactoring more home games (somehow).

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 2:13 am 
10Club Complaint Department

daft twat wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yeah, but the owner thinks we’re just a tweek away from contending and made it clear he will only hire a gm who feels the same. 6 lame playoff appearances in a row means we need to start over.

Bleh

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 2:38 am 
Poster of the Year

Game 7 against the Leafs? I've seen this before.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 7:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Game 7 against the Leafs? I've seen this before.
I'd prefer it go easier for the Bs this time around.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 2:24 am 
AnalLog

All those icings proved to be a solid strategy for the Leafs...any team that does that in a game 7 should get what Toronto got tonight...especially given the offensive firepower they have

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 10:27 am 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
All those icings proved to be a solid strategy for the Leafs...any team that does that in a game 7 should get what Toronto got tonight...especially given the offensive firepower they have

Yeah, odd strategy, but fun game and series. Bring on the bolts!

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 11:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Capitals better beat the Penguins this year, or I swear to God.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 11:51 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

darth_vedder wrote:
The Capitals better beat the Penguins this year, or I swear to God.

I can't take it. I know they won't but I'll still be stressing over it

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 1:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

MattA75 wrote:

Wait... the Bruins went through a stretch where they iced the puck over and over and over again, too.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 1:53 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

Wait... the Bruins went through a stretch where they iced the puck over and over and over again, too.

Aside from the final few minutes where the Leafs had pulled their goalie and the Bruins iced it 2 or 3 times (which is an entirely different animal than doing it with a 1 goal lead late in the second/early in the third period), I don't remember the Bruins consistently icing the puck, though the second half of the third period I was much more in and out of the game due to a sick kid, so maybe I just missed it.

I mean, if you're last year's Ottawa team, and you're riding the fluke of all flukes, and you actually suck, I get that strategy...if you're Toronto, and it's a 1 goal game, and you have the sort of offensive talent they do, I can't understand trying to ride it out by icing the puck...I dunno, just expected more out of that team and shocked that Babcock would make that sort of call

I expect the Bruins to get steamrolled by Tampa...Chara is looking old/tired for the first time all year, McAvoy is hurt (and his confidence is dwindling by the game because of how his injury has affected his game), and Rask aside from the one game he stole was shaky all series

In the end, I guess I'm rooting for the Nashville/Winnipeg winner to go all the way, and Saturday I'll be rooting for the Canucks to win the Dahlin sweepstakes

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 3:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

Aside from the final few minutes where the Leafs had pulled their goalie and the Bruins iced it 2 or 3 times (which is an entirely different animal than doing it with a 1 goal lead late in the second/early in the third period), I don't remember the Bruins consistently icing the puck, though the second half of the third period I was much more in and out of the game due to a sick kid, so maybe I just missed it.

I mean, if you're last year's Ottawa team, and you're riding the fluke of all flukes, and you actually suck, I get that strategy...if you're Toronto, and it's a 1 goal game, and you have the sort of offensive talent they do, I can't understand trying to ride it out by icing the puck...I dunno, just expected more out of that team and shocked that Babcock would make that sort of call

It wasn't at the end of the game, it was... I want to say in the second period when it was tied/after the Leafs had taken the lead.

I don't think it was a Babcock issue, I think it was a combination of crappy players doing dumb things and good players making mistakes. Other than the third period in Game 6, where they were almost flawless in that respect, getting the puck out of the zone was an issue for the Leafs the entire series. When you struggle to make simple plays to use the boards and get it out and can't hit your teammates with a ten foot pass to open up space, you end up icing the puck out of desperation whether it's intentional or not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 245  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports